+5
73%

Total votes: 11
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

2034 Playoff Rotations

Post by Oregon Ownage »

I decided to look at the playoff teams and their best 8 players to see who comes out best in terms of rankings from a position breakdown of who has the best starting 5 and bench unit. For a full breakdown of rankings, click here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Overall thoughts:
The rankings for the players is subjective and I viewed it as a draft for only playoff teams (per conference) and who would come off the board in what order. Let me know if I missed the mark on players ;)

East
With their recent acquisitions, the Bucks look to have the best roster in the East with a sizeable gap to the next team. All their starting players are ranked in the top half to provide a solid 1-5 and their bench is solid as well. The lone weak spot is depth in the post but thats a worst case scenario.

The Pacers on paper have a really good squad so why are they only the 5 seed? Collectively they need to play better defense but a proper DC change could see them make a run with the 2nd best bench unit in the East. The Bulls have the 2nd best starting unit but is weighed down by their bench. Without injuries to Walker, Rose and Barnes, the Bulls might have taken the 2 seed and like the Pacers could easily make a run the Finals.

My wildcard team are the 76ers. They boast the 3rd best starting unit and best bench (the recent acquisition of Winslow helped). They were the best defensive team (points against) in the regular season so they have the ability to shut down teams but the weakness is at PG. All the PGs ranked ahead of Weatherspoon can attack him and cause issues. Very up and down during the season so they are faced with a tough first round matchup against the Pacers in round 1. The winner of that series will be favorites for me to get to the conf. finals.

As expected the Magic and Celtics are performing above their weight for their respective playoff positions. Magic are boosted by Todd & Anthony and then the quality drops off a cliff. An injury to either player will kill and hopes they have a reaching the Finals. The Celtics have a better starting 5 without the top end talent of the Magic and a better bench but are lacking a quality PF that does the dirty work.

No offense Raptors and Cavaliers but you're properly rated and barring a complete collapse, I expect a short stay in round 1. 8-)

West
The best team in either conference belongs to the Rockets and I say thats fair. The acquisition of Patterson completed their team and allows Cherry to come off the bench now. They are the favorites and look to repeat.

Grizzlies are right behind the Rocket for best team discussion and injuries really hurt their regular season record but I for one am scared to see them in the playoffs. Their lack of a bench outside of Clarke is very slim so one injury (like the regular season) can cause worry but they are still strong enough to withstand a minor injury. Wouldn't shock me to see them lift the Larry O'Brien.

Mavericks are being held back in the rankings due to their PG and but still have the third best starting unit in the West. Owners of the best record during the regular season they look to avoid another playoff flop which the organization and fans know is around any corner.

Thunder were carried this year by the 1-2 punch of Zion and Justice which no one saw coming even from within the organization. Buoyed by a water down Pacific division they held strong despite injuries and weak bench (2nd worst in West) to lock in the 2 seed. According the rankings they have the 4th best team but are closer to the lower end teams than the top. Could they be upset in round 1? The Lakers look to provide that upset lead by their recent acquisition in Zion Williamson have the firepower to overwhelm the Thunder. Lakers are hamstrung by their weak PG play (worst in West) and Harmon could exploit that. Intriguing 1st round 2/7 matchup.

The Nuggets have a young squad and out performed their rankings (2nd worst but 5th seed) and face a tall order in the Grizzlies. One year too early for them. Look out for them in years to come. On paper the Warriors have the worst squad in either conference but can play with the best of them and I expect them to push the Mavericks to 6 or 7 in round 1. Clippers like the Nuggets seem to be one year too early to make a serious push but wont be complete pushovers against the Rockets.

Sleeper teams: Pacers & Lakers

Favorites: Rockets & Bucks

Any players/teams I undervalue/overvalue? I would love to hear your thoughts
The Bean Regime
Senior
GM: Minnesota Timberwolves GM

Re: 2034 Playoff Rotations

Post by The Bean Regime »

Voted. Nice read. I'll go over my guys (of course) and try to sprinkle in some rankings I noticed on other teams.

For my team, I think 3 of the players are a tad low. Gottlieb is most definitely better than Edward Jackson. They're very similar players and both huge liabilities on defense, but Gottlieb is a much, much better scorer and handler.

Chris Paul should be ahead of Johnson. Better in every major category, though Johnson has the A defense. He wasn't all-league 2nd for nothing. ;)

And then I'd put Anderson ahead of Perry. Perry has the edge on rim protection, but Anderson is much more potent on offense.

Anyhow, those are all 1 rank changes, so it's close anyway.

As for other teams, I view RJ Barrett as the #1 SF. More complete player than Isaiah "I can't pass with my D+ handles" Todd.

I'd shift the West SFs from #3 Williams, #4 Dillingham, #5 Crum to #3 Crum, #4 Williams, #5 Dillingham. Neither guy has enough of an offensive advantage over Crum to outweigh Crum's elite defense.

I'd swap #1 Cisse and #2 Bosh for the west. Bosh's offensive aptitude is a much bigger gap than Cisse's rebounding/rim protection.

I'd move Neiko Primus to #8 in the East, while shifting the other two up one while keeping their order the same.

That's all I noticed really. I had no idea P.J. Fuller was doing so well on the 76ers.
Oregon Ownage
All-American

Post by Oregon Ownage »

The Bean Regime wrote: Anyhow, those are all 1 rank changes, so it's close anyway.

As for other teams, I view RJ Barrett as the #1 SF. More complete player than Isaiah "I can't pass with my D+ handles" Todd.
Alot of players was a matter of hair splitting and this one was tough. What edged it for me was Todd's ability to rebound with his low turnovers
The Bean Regime wrote: I'd shift the West SFs from #3 Williams, #4 Dillingham, #5 Crum to #3 Crum, #4 Williams, #5 Dillingham. Neither guy has enough of an offensive advantage over Crum to outweigh Crum's elite defense.
Another observation, the West is weak in terms of SF's on playoff teams. Granted if Little was starting at SF he would push these guys down but still its not a deep ranking. Its tough to judge defensive ability outside of steals, blocks to gauge the effectiveness outside of carefully examining the box scores. I had him lowest b/c there was no data on how well he could do in the playoffs but is a minor margin between the three.
The Bean Regime wrote: I'd swap #1 Cisse and #2 Bosh for the west. Bosh's offensive aptitude is a much bigger gap than Cisse's rebounding/rim protection.
Bosh got the better of Cisse in their series so I might need to reexamine Bosh's ranking. Granted I personally favor Cisse for how much he has dominated my team (Spurs and Rockets) so my view is skewed slightly.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Crump is doing pretty well for a rookie.
BucksGM
Five Star Recruit
GM: Milwaukee Bucks

Post by BucksGM »

I’d put Barrett as the top SF and my bench a little lower, but other than that I think my rating look pretty good.

Happy to avoid the kiss of death round 1 elimination, but the rockets weren’t so lucky.
Oregon Ownage
All-American

Post by Oregon Ownage »

FlDuckFan wrote:Crump is doing pretty well for a rookie.
15.2 PPG
7.2 RPG
4.4 APG
2.0 SPG
2.8 TOs

.547 FG%
.850 FT%

I need to start taking Crump more seriously
pistolpetejr
Senior
GM: Los Angeles Clippers

Post by pistolpetejr »

Nice to see Barnes and James getting recognition. Often disregarded lol. :)
---

PistolPeteJR
Oregon Ownage
All-American

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Please vote if you have not already
Oregon Ownage
All-American