#2 Oregon v Bye Week

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: #2 Oregon v Bye Week

Post by buckmarkduck »

Pretty much every coach has praised how Helf doesn't micro manage them, so I doubt Helf would be telling DP how to run the d.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

buckmarkduck wrote:Pretty much every coach has praised how Helf doesn't micro manage them, so I doubt Helf would be telling DP how to run the d.
He might have to if DP repeats that type of playcalling.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

If we rush 3 all night I am not sure who on the remainder of the schedule can beat. I hope we never see that lackluster of a performance again. I do not think we will but I am not seeing any indication from Helfirch that the lackluster defense is not ok. Chip Kelly would have said that kind of performance not up to the standards at Oregon. Helfrich not said one thing about it. Part of the reason I am not sold on Helfrich being the head coach.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:If we rush 3 all night I am not sure who on the remainder of the schedule can beat. I hope we never see that lackluster of a performance again. I do not think we will but I am not seeing any indication from Helfirch that the lackluster defense is not ok. Chip Kelly would have said that kind of performance not up to the standards at Oregon. Helfrich not said one thing about it. Part of the reason I am not sold on Helfrich being the head coach.
I don't remember Kelly ever calling out a coach in the media. Coaches that do that, usually are just trying to save their own job. It's an internal thing, and Kelly would have handled it as such. In fact I remember our d looking that and a few times and he called the fans out for being hard on NA.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

IDK, his defense didn't do any worse than Alliotti's did a year ago.
NA's defense held WSU to 24 points during the meaningful portion of the game (before we pulled our starters), and our coverage produced like four picks in that game, too.

I'd say that's a bit of a step up.

Also, don't forget that WSU's possessions/yardage were inflated by Mariota having two first-half fumbles to give the Cougs short fields (fumbles started drives leading to 14 points).

NA was a great defensive coordinator. It's too soon to say whether DP will be able to fill his shoes.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
ducksvb6
Three Star Recruit

Post by ducksvb6 »

During the game we were amazed at how many times the DLine was standing about a half yard off the line of scrimmage at the snap. I'm not the expert but they appeared to give away leverage by standing instead of taking a lower stance.

About midway through the 3rd quarter I began counting seconds after the snap....I reached 8 on one snap. That is outrageous and it gave Halliday time to pick and choose the receiver.

Regardless it's about the numbers on the score board and not stats or impressions of what was happening. Just ask LSU.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

pezsez1 wrote:
NA's defense held WSU to 24 points during the meaningful portion of the game (before we pulled our starters), and our coverage produced like four picks in that game, too.

I'd say that's a bit of a step up.

Also, don't forget that WSU's possessions/yardage were inflated by Mariota having two first-half fumbles to give the Cougs short fields (fumbles started drives leading to 14 points).

NA was a great defensive coordinator. It's too soon to say whether DP will be able to fill his shoes.
We also have to remember that 3/4 of our secondary from last season is gone. The O-line didn't help us establish a running game that would have worn WSU down in the second half, the O-line gave up 7 sacks and the defense didn't put nearly enough pressure on Halliday. The TV announcers were saying that as good as Halliday is, he's not nearly as good when he's forced out of the pocket. We didn't get him out of his comfort zone nearly enough.

We also have to keep in mind that we have some major injuries on offense and are very inexperienced in other areas, including the secondary. We'll get better as the season goes on, but it's still only game #4 and a lot of unexpected injuries have happened.

Also, Pellum is still experimenting with a lot of things. I think that he's found a lot of things that DON'T WORK so far. Hopefully he'll get better as the season moves forward.
John 3:36
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

Duck07 wrote:
fpsduck wrote:IDK, his defense didn't do any worse than Alliotti's did a year ago.

Our O-line just plain stunk this year.
This is a giant part of the issue though - we always excuse the defense and talk about the woes of hte offense. 38 points by the O wasn't the issue last night.

While our defense does suck, I'm giving up hope on them until we hire a real DC. :x
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

QuackininBama wrote:
fpsduck wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:
Duck07 wrote: I would like to see Pellum move upstairs to the box -
I think thats a good idea. Being a "rookie" defensive coordinator, he needs to see things from a different perspective. If he was watching the "same game" we were, it was so obvious the defensive schemes were terrible and would have adjusted quicker.

Didn't we pick Halliday off like 4 times last year? Also 2 of his 4 touchdown passes were in the 4th against our 2nd and 3rd team defense. So yea, we did much better last year.

We played better in the 3rd quarter last year, but we gave up 24 points in the first half of that game. :|
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

We played better in the 3rd quarter last year, but we gave up 24 points in the first half of that game.
Mariota gave them short fields in that second quarter with two awful fumbles, both of which WSU cashed in for TDs. Aside from that, WSU didn't do any meaningful damage in that game.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

fpsduck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
fpsduck wrote:IDK, his defense didn't do any worse than Alliotti's did a year ago.

This is a giant part of the issue though - we always excuse the defense and talk about the woes of hte offense. 38 points by the O wasn't the issue last night.

While our defense does suck, I'm giving up hope on them until we hire a real DC. :x
I hope you are a patient person. I doubt we fire DP any time soon.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
mm55
Four Star Recruit

Post by mm55 »

Just an FYI- through four games, the Ducks have allowed 20 second half points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MM in Cali
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I think people are forgetting 2012 as well. It was 23-19 at the half. And even though we won 51-26, we still gave up 410 passing yards to only 160. It is never the walk in the park it should be vs WSU.
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

karlhungis wrote:
fpsduck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

I hope you are a patient person. I doubt we fire DP any time soon.

Oh, I know. It's nearly impossible to get fired from Oregon. :|
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

Didn't we beat #7 MSU (still ranked #9) convincingly? Sky's not falling. Bad game! yes. Need to play better in some areas. yes. Will they improve? yes. We will beat UA and Stanford without a lot of injuries.