Is someone chopping onions? :cry:

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Thank You Marcus

Post by UOducksTK1 »

One in a million...

It's going to be weird this season without him.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
MerDuck
Four Star Recruit

Post by MerDuck »

I'm sure I'm gonna take some flak for this, but haven't they gone a little overboard with this stuff? I agree he was a good guy, and an exceptional athlete...but it all just seems a bit heavy handed...
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Phenom wrote:Is someone chopping onions? :cry:

Watched it at work, that was a dumb idea.
srduck
Three Star Recruit

Thank You Marcus

Post by srduck »

Merduck- I am guessing you don't get the impact MM had and will continue to have on Oregon athletics. I'm not trying to be derogatory or say you are not entitled to your opinion but the impact is huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

MerDuck wrote:I'm sure I'm gonna take some flak for this, but haven't they gone a little overboard with this stuff? I agree he was a good guy, and an exceptional athlete...but it all just seems a bit heavy handed...
Agreed.. But that video was AWESOME
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

That dude makes me so proud to be a Duck. He exemplifies everything that sports are supposed to be about.
goducks
Freshman

Post by goducks »

srduck wrote:Merduck- I am guessing you don't get the impact MM had and will continue to have on Oregon athletics. I'm not trying to be derogatory or say you are not entitled to your opinion but the impact is huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plus, I don't think that it went unnoticed last season how polar opposites he and Winston were off the field. That juxtaposition helped to highlight how valuable of a player and person he was for Oregon. Yes, his impact was, is and will be felt for many years to come. He totally deserves all of this attention, especially just before the draft.

Notice the plane that we flew on?
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

That dude makes me so proud to be a Duck. He exemplifies everything that sports are supposed to be about.
This is why I have zero problems with all the coverage. He totally earned it. He seems like a once-in-a-lifetime talent and personality, plus he took us on a wild ride en route to Oregon's first Heisman Trophy and just our second Rose Bowl win since the sinking of the Titanic.

He also gave us another year, when he could have taken the money and ran long before.

He deserves to be celebrated... but the NFL Draft, spring football and even fall camp are all just around the corner, and soon the program will be looking forward again.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
MerDuck
Four Star Recruit

Post by MerDuck »

I made that comment on here rather than facebook, or some other site, because I hoped that I would receive rational responses. I did and I appreciate that.

Again don't get me wrong, I love what the guy meant for Oregon sports, and college sports as a whole. And the more I think about it, it seemed to me that all of the participants in the video were happy to be there. I guess what it comes down to for me isn't about whether or not he is a good person (there's no question in my mind he is), it's about what we should be expecting of our athletes. Maybe I'm a pessimist (it's shocking, but I've been accused before), but I feel like this amount of praise might do more harm than good.

Again I want to make sure I'm clear on this, I feel lucky to have been a duck fan when Mariota played here! I seriously doubt he is ever overshadowed by any athlete in the future of Oregon sports.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

MerDuck wrote:I made that comment on here rather than facebook, or some other site, because I hoped that I would receive rational responses. I did and I appreciate that.

Again don't get me wrong, I love what the guy meant for Oregon sports, and college sports as a whole. And the more I think about it, it seemed to me that all of the participants in the video were happy to be there. I guess what it comes down to for me isn't about whether or not he is a good person (there's no question in my mind he is), it's about what we should be expecting of our athletes. Maybe I'm a pessimist (it's shocking, but I've been accused before), but I feel like this amount of praise might do more harm than good.

Again I want to make sure I'm clear on this, I feel lucky to have been a duck fan when Mariota played here! I seriously doubt he is ever overshadowed by any athlete in the future of Oregon sports.
I think the part that stood out the most to me was one of the athletes in the video said thanks for being someone our brothers and sisters can look up to. Being a younger sibling and knowing how much not just your older siblings effect you but their friends and likes and interests and heroes effect you it is a cool thing in my opinion. The thank you isn't just for how he represented us that call Oregon our school that have come and gone or are currently attending, but for the young and impressionable that truly idolize these players and got to see a way to do it right.