Cornerback Play...

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Cornerback Play...

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I know Stanford has those amazing and big WR’s, but our CB play has been worse than expected, or am I alone in that thought? Graham has been beyond disappointing to say the least, he gets beat like he stole something constantly, and this isn’t even against Stanford, it’s also been against really bad competition. Lenoir also gets beat a lot and neither seem to ever turn their head, and when they do they make a horrible attempt at forcing a turnover rather than forcing an incompletion. Even Stanford’s OT touchdown could’ve easily been incomplete if Lenoir and Pickett focused on breaking up the ball instead of going for an interception. My question is, do you guys feel the CB play has been that bad? Also, is it just due to Lenoir and Graham being low quality players? Or is William’s coaching not cutting it so far? Just feels like the talent isn’t as bad as what we’ve seen from them this season, and I definitely had more hope for our secondary. The secondary looks less than stellar and could continue to be a big issue in PAC-12 play especially against the pass happy teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by OregonFan4Life on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenyellow

Re: Cornerback Play...

Post by greenyellow »

As I said in the game thread, Donte Williams is the new CB coach since Clark left for Ole Miss this off-season.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

greenyellow wrote:As I said in the game thread, Donte Williams is the new CB coach since Clark left for Ole Miss this off-season.
Thanks! Googled mislead me, I corrected it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

There's a couple issues here. First is recruiting in that we don't have any upper class corners. It's a Helfrich staff issue first and foremost. Donte didn't recruit until this year and he's got some real top tier kids coming in.

That said, there's got to be SOMEONE on the roster that can play cb better than Thomas Graham Jr. Dude is REALLY awful. Like, Marques Binns awful. I know he has experience, but he needs to be benched. Period. Maybe we have to play a freshman or move a safety over and have them take their licks for a couple games, but he's absolutely killing us out there. If we even replace him with an AVERAGE pac-12 corner, we win tonight.

Lenoir made some good and some bad plays tonight. Bad technique on the route against Whiteside for a TD, but also a good route by the WR. But he also made a nice play early forcing a big guy out of bounds and had some solid coverage on that last play where the guy got that ridiculous bounce to himself on the last score. He's not an all-conference guy, but he's doing ok out there. He's not 5+ yards away from the WR on a basic skinny post 8 times in the last 2 games.(Thomas Graham).

I don't think it's a coaching issue, but that may be something to re-visit if they keep throwing Graham out there and we don't see improvement overall.
ahhsenal
One Star Recruit

Post by ahhsenal »

let’s put schooler or a situational red zone db in there already. it’s been an Achilles’ for way too long
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

GrantDuck wrote:There's a couple issues here. First is recruiting in that we don't have any upper class corners. It's a Helfrich staff issue first and foremost. Donte didn't recruit until this year and he's got some real top tier kids coming in.

^^ my thoughts also, this is still pretty much the kids Helf and staff recruited, he brought in some gems, fat Mac, Dye, Herbert, Jelks....... but the DB class has suffered and Helf and staff dropped the ball there, case in point Schooler was a starting safety as a true freshman. Mario needs a couple of years to bring his players in, again I'm very excited about this coaching staff!

I don't think it's a coaching issue, but that may be something to re-visit if they keep throwing Graham out there and we don't see improvement overall.

I agree, I don't think it's a coaching issue although I did disagree with a few of their decisions last night, clock management, bringing in new RB's that hades played yet on critical plays, change of play calling in the second half. Overall I agree with your thoughts on Gramam, one has to wonder what real talent is behind him. I also feel the same way about Johnny Johnson, the kid is not making points in my book. Too many dropped passes this season, most other WR's had that part of their game figured out last night, not JJ. Also that "after the play Personal foul" late in the game was stupid and I feel shows a bunch about his mindset and maturity. But yet they keep putting him in....... is Schooler really that much worse? How about the guys behind him?
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

We can complain about the cornerback play all day but remember just two years ago where our DB's were five yards away when the ball got there. At least now they are on the receiver and trying to fight for the ball. Not everyone will have huge receivers and hopefully, they will learn from this game.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

From former college football coach Ken Woody's analysis of the game The d-backs stay in their back-pedal too long and can’t make the transition when the receiver goes deep. Both corners do it, so the suspicion is that it is being taught.

https://www.ducksports.com/sports/20180 ... ss?start=2
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Graham had a great tackle on a WR screen where he took the ball away and should have been a turnover, but overall he played poorly. Lenoir is a little better. Our safeties were bad. Kaden Smith and Colby Parkinson just took us apart. The DL didn’t get good pressure often enough to help out. Thankfully we don’t have another team like this on our schedule.
hjpop
Four Star Recruit

Post by hjpop »

GoDucksTroll wrote:Graham had a great tackle on a WR screen where he took the ball away and should have been a turnover, but overall he played poorly. Lenoir is a little better. Our safeties were bad. Kaden Smith and Colby Parkinson just took us apart. The DL didn’t get good pressure often enough to help out. Thankfully we don’t have another team like this on our schedule.
Dunno about that. They may not be as physical as Stanford but this game film has gone out. Guarantee that Cal will be looking for similar matchups and UW as well in a few weeks.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Quietduck wrote:We can complain about the cornerback play all day but remember just two years ago where our DB's were five yards away when the ball got there. At least now they are on the receiver and trying to fight for the ball. Not everyone will have huge receivers and hopefully, they will learn from this game.
I was gonna say, our corners were in the position to make plays A LOT. Stanford is probably the worst matchup team for us in terms of WR vs DBs.

As a whole, I thought our corners played well, and were very close to batting down a lot more passes.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Quietduck wrote:We can complain about the cornerback play all day but remember just two years ago where our DB's were five yards away when the ball got there. At least now they are on the receiver and trying to fight for the ball. Not everyone will have huge receivers and hopefully, they will learn from this game.
I was gonna say, our corners were in the position to make plays A LOT. Stanford is probably the worst matchup team for us in terms of WR vs DBs.

As a whole, I thought our corners played well, and were very close to batting down a lot more passes.
Bottom line, is that they DIDN’T make the plays. You know what close counts in...Cal has 7 picks this year in one less game than UO. Why aren’t these DB’s actually getting to the ball and getting picks? The D line is mostly holding its end of the bargain.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Everythingsducky wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

Bottom line, is that they DIDN’T make the plays. You know what close counts in...Cal has 7 picks this year in one less game than UO. Why aren’t these DB’s actually getting to the ball and getting picks? The D line is mostly holding its end of the bargain.
Give it time, you'll see the turnovers starting to come around. Costello was also amazing. Gotta give him credit for threading the needle on many passes.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

To be fair to our CB. Stanford WR/TE's are making Notre Dame DB look silly also.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

It's a bad joke. Second terrible penalty on haki woods.

Nope