pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Tristen Wallace...

Post by pdxduck2013 »

maxduck
Senior

Re: Tristen Wallace...

Post by maxduck »

Yikes indeed. Not a good look for Oregon but at least they originally tried to do the right thing. The mother's actions to scrub her son's record are beyond comprehension.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

This is crazy, and never go to campus police go to the Local S.O. or the State Police.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

How is this a reflection on the U of O? They immediately kicked the dude off the team - he never played for the ducks. It was reported to authorities, and apparently the Lane County D.A.'s office didn't come up with enough evidence to charge or convict him, despite leaving the case open for months. Then Wallace's lawyer filed a tort-claim notice that they were going to sue the University for a FERPA violation for releasing information on the case.

https://www.registerguard.com/rg/news/l ... n.html.csp

FERPA was passed in 1974 - Betsy DeVos had nothing to do with it. So is it possible that this is the 'secret deal' that the article is talking about? Also, whatever the violation was that Wallace committed, as well as the alleged FERPA violation all happened under the Obama administration. Maybe there should be a huge picture of Obama embedded in the article as well. Sheesh.

So my question is, without a legal conviction, and with his info protected by FERPA, what was supposed to happen here? The kid went to a JUCO before turning up at a little school in Texas where he is from. Is he supposed to be banned from football and scholarships forever and cast into outer darkness? Should he never be able to make a living again?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I guess Helfs 1000 point inspection on recruits, missed this red flag?
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Why do I get the feeling CMC might be somewhat more in getting PSAs?

The way this article is written, one would suspect UO to be the worst place in the nation to send your daughter.

Stanford, as well as FSU, immediately popped into my head.

The only unique note to this article use that Oregon tried to take it one step further than the law currently allows under FERPA.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Phalanx wrote:How is this a reflection on the U of O? They immediately kicked the dude off the team - he never played for the ducks. It was reported to authorities, and apparently the Lane County D.A.'s office didn't come up with enough evidence to charge or convict him, despite leaving the case open for months. Then Wallace's lawyer filed a tort-claim notice that they were going to sue the University for a FERPA violation for releasing information on the case.

FERPA was passed in 1974 - Betsy DeVos had nothing to do with it. So is it possible that this is the 'secret deal' that the article is talking about? Also, whatever the violation was that Wallace committed, as well as the alleged FERPA violation all happened under the Obama administration. Maybe there should be a huge picture of Obama embedded in the article as well. Sheesh.

So my question is, without a legal conviction, and with his info protected by FERPA, what was supposed to happen here? The kid went to a JUCO before turning up at a little school in Texas where he is from. Is he supposed to be banned from football and scholarships forever and cast into outer darkness? Should he never be able to make a living again?
As I said in my original post Oregon originally did the right thing with expulsion and labeling him a sexual predator. The agreement to drop the label (wrong, IMO) occurred in 2018. It is news to me that Obama was still president at that time.

The U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR) under Secretary Betsy DeVos facilitated a confidential deal between Wallace’s mother and the University of Oregon, in which Oregon agreed to change the athlete’s transcript to remove reference to the sexual assaults.

In part because of the “apparent predatory nature” of the acts, the university had marked Wallace’s transcript with a rarely used notation that would alert other schools to his actions, records show. “Expelled for sexual misconduct,” his transcript said.

But with the federal agency’s help, Loleta Wallace brokered a deal in which Oregon amended her son’s transcript to say simply, “Expelled for student conduct,” records show, a change that would make other schools more likely to recruit him.

Oregon promised Loleta Wallace that the August 2018 resolution agreement would “not be discoverable or releasable” under the Freedom of Information Act, but the USA TODAY Network obtained a copy from a university source.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

maxduck wrote:
As I said in my original post Oregon originally did the right thing with expulsion and labeling him a sexual predator. The agreement to drop the label (wrong, IMO) occurred in 2018. It is news to me that Obama was still president at that time.

The U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR) under Secretary Betsy DeVos facilitated a confidential deal between Wallace’s mother and the University of Oregon, in which Oregon agreed to change the athlete’s transcript to remove reference to the sexual assaults.

In part because of the “apparent predatory nature” of the acts, the university had marked Wallace’s transcript with a rarely used notation that would alert other schools to his actions, records show. “Expelled for sexual misconduct,” his transcript said.

But with the federal agency’s help, Loleta Wallace brokered a deal in which Oregon amended her son’s transcript to say simply, “Expelled for student conduct,” records show, a change that would make other schools more likely to recruit him.

Oregon promised Loleta Wallace that the August 2018 resolution agreement would “not be discoverable or releasable” under the Freedom of Information Act, but the USA TODAY Network obtained a copy from a university source.
Congratulations, you managed to reply to my post while completely ignoring what I said in it. All you apparently read was blah blah blah blah Obama blah blah blah.

The point was that bringing up Betsy Devos as though she had anything to do with this is as arbitrary as pointing out that the alleged rape and FERPA violation happened under Obama's watch. It's just a political cheap shot, and the huge picture of DeVos embedded in the article is ridiculous.

It looks like the agreement was as a result of a threatened lawsuit by the mother, as I linked above. The U of O, being in the midst of a $20 million lawsuit from Dotson and Artis over a similar situation, were walking a fine line between an alleged rape on one side and a player's civil rights on the other. I'm not sure what else they were supposed to do, especially as the D.A. decided not to proceed with the case.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

maxduck wrote:
Phalanx wrote:How is this a reflection on the U of O? They immediately kicked the dude off the team - he never played for the ducks. It was reported to authorities, and apparently the Lane County D.A.'s office didn't come up with enough evidence to charge or convict him, despite leaving the case open for months. Then Wallace's lawyer filed a tort-claim notice that they were going to sue the University for a FERPA violation for releasing information on the case.

Undercover Whistle-blower in the house... Standard Operating Procedure in the current society we live in (Some of us might have taken the same action):

'Bill Harbaugh, an economics professor and president of the Oregon faculty senate at the time, obtained a copy of the Education Department’s 615-page case file through a FOIA request and shared it with this reporter.case file through a FOIA request and shared it with this reporter.

The department denied the USA TODAY Network’s subsequent request for the same file, after Oregon attorneys complained it released private information to Harbaugh.

Said Harbaugh, “I believe that public knowledge about sexual violence, and how universities respond or do not respond to it, helps encourage survivors to come forward and report and helps universities develop better policies and procedures.”"

GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Isn't this article more about Devos than Wallace and Oregon. The article is about a case in which the OCR finding and pressure on the university under her leadership is in line with her proposed revision of Title IX for more rights for males accused of sexual assault than the current system.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Obviously aimed at Devos, but the preponderance of info makes it appear as if the Ducks were complicit in the situation.

QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

NOTE TO MODS: REGARDLESS of content, the minute politics is brought into a conversation it should be IMMEDIATELY LOCKED AND REMOVED.

We are ALL Duck fan regardless of R or D, lets keep it that way.