#2 Oregon @ #16 Washington (1:00pm FOX Sports 1)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

MFRDuckFan
Senior

Re: #2 Oregon @ #16 Washington (1:00pm FOX Sports 1)

Post by MFRDuckFan »

I'm not a special teams expert, but don't you risk confusion and injuring your starting defensive players by adding them onto special teams just days before a game? Just wondering.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/huskyfoot ... cation=rss

"The Huskies didn’t practice any kickoffs during the 20-minute window open to media this morning, but they did a few punting drills. Defensive starters Shaq Thompson, Princeton Fuimaono, Will Shamburger and Cory Littleton took part in the punt coverage, after Sarkisian suggested on his radio show Monday that more of UW’s “best guys” would participate in special teams against the Ducks."
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

This game strikes me as Helf's first real "test" as a head coach. I mean, yes, the Ducks' gaudy numbers so far look great, but they won't mean squat if we go up to Seattle and get beat this week.

It was also interesting to see/hear Helf use the "r" word this week, acknowledge that this is a rivalry we have with UW, something that Chip -- which Helf basically also said in the same breath -- just wouldn't do.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I think Washington is getting to the point where they might be overhyping themselves and their fans for self-destruction.

This has certainly happened before. It's good to be hyped, but if it becomes an obsession, usually bad things follow.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

MFRDuckFan wrote:I'm not a special teams expert, but don't you risk confusion and injuring your starting defensive players by adding them onto special teams just days before a game? Just wondering.

"The Huskies didn’t practice any kickoffs during the 20-minute window open to media this morning, but they did a few punting drills. Defensive starters Shaq Thompson, Princeton Fuimaono, Will Shamburger and Cory Littleton took part in the punt coverage, after Sarkisian suggested on his radio show Monday that more of UW’s “best guys” would participate in special teams against the Ducks."
Could be a smoke screen. Seems to make much more sense to just kick it out of bounds. Smacks of arrogance if they are going to load starters on special teams and kick it right to us. Would be pretty demoralizing if they do that and we run it back anyway. I doubt DAT takes kindly to direct challenges :twisted:
NCDucks09
Senior

Post by NCDucks09 »

QuackininBama wrote:
MFRDuckFan wrote:I'm not a special teams expert, but don't you risk confusion and injuring your starting defensive players by adding them onto special teams just days before a game? Just wondering.

Could be a smoke screen. Seems to make much more sense to just kick it out of bounds. Smacks of arrogance if they are going to load starters on special teams and kick it right to us. Would be pretty demoralizing if they do that and we run it back anyway. I doubt DAT takes kindly to direct challenges :twisted:
As DAT would say, "I was like, just one move, and I'm gone..." :) Special teams could be huge this week.

I too feel like this game is getting overhyped to be this great game between rivals, as if the same type of last minute outcome is guaranteed like it played out last week vs. Stanfraud. If and when Oregon slams down the hammer and wins 52-18, UW fans are going to be feeling rough...
2012 Rose Bowl Champions
2013 Fiesta Bowl Champions

Still Dedicated to the Ducks Winning the Natty!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

NCDucks09 wrote:As DAT would say, "I was like, just one move, and I'm gone..." :) Special teams could be huge this week.

I too feel like this game is getting overhyped to be this great game between rivals, as if the same type of last minute outcome is guaranteed like it played out last week vs. Stanfraud. If and when Oregon slams down the hammer and wins 52-18, UW fans are going to be feeling rough...
and that we might even do without our most talented offensive player. If we do win in a blowout, the media is going to love us
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Duck07 wrote:
NCDucks09 wrote:As DAT would say, "I was like, just one move, and I'm gone..." :) Special teams could be huge this week.

and that we might even do without our most talented offensive player. If we do win in a blowout, the media is going to love us
Imagine if we did blow them out. Stanford barely won, would do wonders for our SOS and rankings. Until LSU Alabama is basically on cruise control with their schedule so we won't pass em, but with Clemson right at our heels, would like a little breathing room.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

From a Doogman post, some are pretty funny, some are quite lame regardless of fan association.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

LOL, some of those are pretty funny

btw...link?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

QuackininBama wrote:LOL, some of those are pretty funny

btw...link?
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=147&f=1361
edited out my mistake, christ on a cracker!
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

The funny one was the Darron booger. The others are kind of lame since Chip isn't here. They also had Neuheisel, so they should talk.
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

Twitter - Not my preference to give locker room motivation for the Huskies, especially Wilcox but it could have been worse.

Byron Marshall ‏@ByronMarshall_9 1h
“@CollegeGameDay: Oregon has won 9 straight games over Washington. #UOvsWASH”ABOUT TO BE 10

Pharaoh Brown ‏@Callme_P_RO 1h
“@CollegeGameDay: Oregon has won 9 straight games over Washington. #UOvsWASH”ABOUT TO BE 10
Last edited by MFRDuckFan on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

As far as I am concerned I hope the fake injury issue keeps going,... that and Sarks objection to the incomplete pass call. He still doesn't buy it even after a review confirmed by Pac-10 officials.