#2 Oregon @ #16 Washington (1:00pm FOX Sports 1)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrandpaDuck
Senior

Re: #2 Oregon @ #16 Washington (1:00pm FOX Sports 1)

Post by GrandpaDuck »

NCDucks09 wrote:Overall, solid win. I'm not sold on UW yet, I still think they got up to play Stanford and Oregon and am not sure they can consistently maintain their high level of play. For the Ducks SOS, you have to root for them to keep winning though.

I think our Safeties got exposed a little on Defense. Brian Jackson has good fundamentals, but he doesn't have the speed to shut down elite WR's or make plays in space. Avery Patterson also doesn't look as fast or explosive as he did prior to his ACL reconstruction. His size doesn't lend itself well either to helping out in run support. With a young linebacking corps, the safeties are critical to contain and mop up better running backs, and I'm not sure that our current crop is quite as good as the rest of our D.

I grade out the quality of our D by position corps like this:

D-line = B+
Corners = A
Linebackers = B
Safeties = C
Dang you're a tough grader.

I'd give the D-Line an A. Playing a 2 gap 3-4 is tough to get stats, your basically a space occupier, but these guys are not only doing a great job holding space, they are making some plays too which is real bonus.

And for the Safeties, Oregon is top 5 in pass defense efficiency and Top 10 against yielding long plays (Would also be in the Top 5 in long plays yielded versus plays faced). These two stats are probably the most indicative of good or bad safety play.

Safeties are kind of in the spotlight when the opponent rips off a big play and those plays stick in the memory, but this years group is really a good coverage group. They aren't as flashy as John Boyett or TJ Ward but their results are really good.
NCDucks09
Senior

Post by NCDucks09 »

Yeah, I have high expectations for this team, so I think it's fair to be a tough grader, but to give credit where it is due. The D-line and Corners did great against the pass and it could be that the D-line did their job against the run and that the LB's and Safeties just didn't make their tackles.

Skankey is a great RB, but B.Jackson missed both of the tackles that led to TD runs of 60 and 25 yards. I'm picking on B.Jackson a little bit because he also missed the TD saving tackle in the Virginia game and got scored on agaisnt UT in pass coverage. I think we're just used to NFL caliber talent at his position and so the drop off in production is noticeable. Tough to follow in great footsteps like Ward, Boyett, Chung, and Pleasant, but our motto is "Next Man Up", so I expect a little more.
2012 Rose Bowl Champions
2013 Fiesta Bowl Champions

Still Dedicated to the Ducks Winning the Natty!
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

NCDucks09 wrote:Yeah, I have high expectations for this team, so I think it's fair to be a tough grader, but to give credit where it is due. The D-line and Corners did great against the pass and it could be that the D-line did their job against the run and that the LB's and Safeties just didn't make their tackles.

Skankey is a great RB, but B.Jackson missed both of the tackles that led to TD runs of 60 and 25 yards. I'm picking on B.Jackson a little bit because he also missed the TD saving tackle in the Virginia game and got scored on agaisnt UT in pass coverage. I think we're just used to NFL caliber talent at his position and so the drop off in production is noticeable. Tough to follow in great footsteps like Ward, Boyett, Chung, and Pleasant, but our motto is "Next Man Up", so I expect a little more.

Looked to me like Hill missed the tackle on the 60 yarder.
NCDucks09
Senior

Post by NCDucks09 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
NCDucks09 wrote:Yeah, I have high expectations for this team, so I think it's fair to be a tough grader, but to give credit where it is due. The D-line and Corners did great against the pass and it could be that the D-line did their job against the run and that the LB's and Safeties just didn't make their tackles.

Yes, T.Hill did miss, but I thought that B.Jackson was supposed to have the outside contain and was sucked to far inside to recover in time to stop Skankey's cut to the outside, although he did have a nice closeline to flatten a blocker while trying to get back.
2012 Rose Bowl Champions

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Hill read it perfect, he just whiffed on the tackle. It was pretty sad actually.
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

NCDucks09 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

Yes, T.Hill did miss, but I thought that B.Jackson was supposed to have the outside contain and was sucked to far inside to recover in time to stop Skankey's cut to the outside, although he did have a nice closeline to flatten a blocker while trying to get back.

Jackson blew it. Rather than keeping containment he ran up and got himself blocked.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

NCDucks09 wrote:I'm picking on B.Jackson a little bit because he also missed the TD saving tackle in the Virginia game...
That was Dargan, not Jackson.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Watching the replay. UW had 12 men on the field when Marshall had his 2nd quarter TD run. :D
Willie Taggart is a dick.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

fpsduck wrote:
NCDucks09 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

Jackson blew it. Rather than keeping containment he ran up and got himself blocked.
True, but I give em credit. It was 4th and 1 and Aliotti called the wrong defense and Skankey is really fast. It was a good call. We just got beat on the play.
NCDucks09
Senior

Post by NCDucks09 »

Skankey has good acceleration and power, but he doesn't have top end elite speed. Unacceptable to give up the big play like that on 4th and 1.

The good news, we still haven't played a complete game yet. Hopefully, we save that perfect game for January 6th, 2014.
2012 Rose Bowl Champions

QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

NCDucks09 wrote:Skankey has good acceleration and power, but he doesn't have top end elite speed. Unacceptable to give up the big play like that on 4th and 1.

The good news, we still haven't played a complete game yet. Hopefully, we save that perfect game for January 6th, 2014.
He's a 1st day prospect to play on Sundays. I'm not here to prop other players, but hes a good one.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=RB

Name: Bishop Sankey
College: Washington Number: 25
Height: 5-10 Weight: 203
Position: RB Pos2:
Class/Draft Year: Jr/2015
40 Low: 4.40 40 Time: 4.49 40 High: 4.59
Projected Round: 1-2 Stock:up
Rated number 1 out of 202 RB's
NCDucks09
Senior

Post by NCDucks09 »

QuackininBama wrote:
NCDucks09 wrote:Skankey has good acceleration and power, but he doesn't have top end elite speed. Unacceptable to give up the big play like that on 4th and 1.

He's a 1st day prospect to play on Sundays. I'm not here to prop other players, but hes a good one.

Name: Bishop Skankey
Bama, you misspelled his name... See Above. :lol:
2012 Rose Bowl Champions

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

NCDucks09 wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:

Name: Bishop Skankey
Bama, you misspelled his name... See Above. :lol:
Sanks for point that out.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13