Projected 2014 Depth Chart (UPDATED)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Projected 2014 Depth Chart

Post by Phenom »

greenyellow wrote:I'll just say that looking at the depth charts for offense and defense, the defense is one that scares me a bit with how young the secondary is and how shallow the DL depth is, especially at NT/DT. Without Ifo returning, I'm not sure many people could say who our stars on the defense are.
Buckner is/will be a star. Malone was also fairly solid and got a lot of tackles. I just hope he gets bigger. He came here as a safety and it showed. Tony Washington started really hot but faded. I think Talia is a wildcard. He is physically impressive and his film even more.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phenom wrote:
greenyellow wrote:I'll just say that looking at the depth charts for offense and defense, the defense is one that scares me a bit with how young the secondary is and how shallow the DL depth is, especially at NT/DT. Without Ifo returning, I'm not sure many people could say who our stars on the defense are.
Buckner is/will be a star. Malone was also fairly solid and got a lot of tackles. I just hope he gets bigger. He came here as a safety and it showed. Tony Washington started really hot but faded. I think Talia is a wildcard. He is physically impressive and his film even more.
Still, that's a lot of hoping that a star emerges; there's no bonafide star that opposing fans would know or would likely make opposing coaches gameplan completely for. I'm not sure how many preseason all-conference players there are on defense besides maybe Buckner and Malone. All the potential question marks on defense is what makes me the most nervous about next season.
KingofDucks
Four Star Recruit

Post by KingofDucks »

Phenom wrote:
KingofDucks wrote:Unless you're predicting Troy Hill will be kicked off the team for his run-in with the law, you forgot him on the depth chart.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I am expecting although I have no inside knowledge of the situation. If he comes back then slot him in the spot behind Ifo.
I like Troy better than Dior, but they'd battle it out in fall.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

KingofDucks wrote:
Phenom wrote:
KingofDucks wrote:Unless you're predicting Troy Hill will be kicked off the team for his run-in with the law, you forgot him on the depth chart.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I am expecting although I have no inside knowledge of the situation. If he comes back then slot him in the spot behind Ifo.
I like Troy better than Dior, but they'd battle it out in fall.
Yeah, the coaches seem to agree with you. I haven't been very impressed with Hill, though.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Hill seems to rack up the PI calls..

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

One thing I noticed about the depth chart is that the DL seems to be heavily concentrated next year in the JR class with no SRs, 1 SO, and likely 2 FR who'll be RS. Oregon has done a pretty shoddy job at getting DL recruits in every class and then seems to overload one class with them to make up the difference, similar to how Kent structured his BB teams.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

greenyellow wrote:One thing I noticed about the depth chart is that the DL seems to be heavily concentrated next year in the JR class with no SRs, 1 SO, and likely 2 FR who'll be RS. Oregon has done a pretty shoddy job at getting DL recruits in every class and then seems to overload one class with them to make up the difference, similar to how Kent structured his BB teams.
Yeah, that is definitely a concern. It will become a bigger problem if we bring in another JUCO DL this class, but it might be necessary considering our depth (or lack there of) at the the NT position.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

DL Depth is probably the single over-riding factor for why the coaches can't suggest to Armstead that maybe we could use you at T. A 3-4 front of Buckner/Balducci/Armstead should be very good and spring/fall will be crucial to seeing who plays behind them, for better or worse. I'm excited for Jelks, I think he end up being similar to Buckner as a True FR. We already know how excited some of you are for Tui Talia...

Pendergast likes to say he runs a 5-2 and for who is on our roster and coming in, his system might really work for us since with who we've got on the roster. Obviously any changes in scheme will make a difference with this too.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

Duck07 wrote:DL Depth is probably the single over-riding factor for why the coaches can't suggest to Armstead that maybe we could use you at T. A 3-4 front of Buckner/Balducci/Armstead should be very good and spring/fall will be crucial to seeing who plays behind them, for better or worse. I'm excited for Jelks, I think he end up being similar to Buckner as a True FR. We already know how excited some of you are for Tui Talia...

Pendergast likes to say he runs a 5-2 and for who is on our roster and coming in, his system might really work for us since with who we've got on the roster. Obviously any changes in scheme will make a difference with this too.
I think if Carriger and Daniels weigh in around 270lb next year... then that would relieve some of the worries. I think Jelks & Talia should also provide some good depth there. I still think we need to get one NT in this recruiting class. 247 is predicting that we get Trey Lealaimatafao. If we can't land him then we need to get a JC guy for some injury insurance.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

No way Jelks play next year. Mondeaux would play before him.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

Phenom wrote:No way Jelks play next year. Mondeaux would play before him.
What makes you so sure.. I believe Jelks was one of the first targets in this recruiting class.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Boom wrote:
What makes you so sure.. I believe Jelks was one of the first targets in this recruiting class.
I just don't feel he's ready to contribute by looking at his film. His technique is lacking and he is underweight. Needs a few years before he can contribute, IMO.
Boom
All Pac-12

Post by Boom »

Phenom wrote:
Boom wrote:
I just don't feel he's ready to contribute by looking at his film. His technique is lacking and he is underweight. Needs a few years before he can contribute, IMO.
I think Buckner was listed around 230-240lbs and then showed up to Oregon at 265lbs and played extensively. Jelks has a similar frame and already weighs close to 260lbs.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Jelks, IMO, will take a couple years to make any kind of impact. I hope I'm wrong, but on tape he looks like the typical kid who's just stronger and bigger than everyone else, and doesn't have much technique. Which isn't a bad thing, but vs guys who are bigger he'll get eaten up until he learns. A RS year will do him good.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

So with DAT gone, the offense is now squarely focused on Mariota, Tyner/Marshall, and Addison. Oregon needs for some players to emerge at WR and TE for this offense to be as good as it has been the past 5 years.