Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: #4 Oregon Ducks vs South Dakota Coyotes

Post by UOducksTK1 »

MFRDuckFan wrote:My take away from this first game ~

Royce Freeman is the real deal

Charles Nelson - definitely lived up to his #6 on that play

The Ducks are scary good on offense. Such maturity this year.

The Ducks are faster. Last couple of years lots of false start penalties or non-production when they would hurry up, but they've started off very well in cleaning that up.

Can't wait to see what plays are drawn up with so much RB talent on the field. Very exciting!

Byron Marshall will never make that mistake again.

Defense - wasn't stellar due to technique, but it was South Dakota. Moseley said last night they were rotating a lot of the new guys into the game at all times, so that is to be expected. You can never simulate a game in practice so this was invaluable experience for them!
What's funny is I was watching a highlight of Marshall against Cal where he did the same thing. Dropped the ball just as he was crossing the line.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:Also, looks like Matt Wogan lost his starting job on both field goals and kickoffs to a walk-on from Grant HS. That's what Olive says anyways.
I saw someone on Twitter saying he may have aggravated an injury from fall camp and that there was always the intention to play both in game situations to solidify their final positions.
That would make more sense, I still have high hopes for Wogan.

wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

greenyellow wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:Also, looks like Matt Wogan lost his starting job on both field goals and kickoffs to a walk-on from Grant HS. That's what Olive says anyways.
I saw someone on Twitter saying he may have aggravated an injury from fall camp and that there was always the intention to play both in game situations to solidify their final positions.
Kickoffs were atrocious. Neither deep nor high. Good teams will kill us with field position if we don't improve.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

UOducksTK1 wrote:According to 247, all these true freshman / first year JCs played:
Arrion Springs
Charles Nelson
Justin Hollins
Jimmie Swain
Royce Freeman
Tanner Carew
Aidan Schneider
Austin Maloata
Tui Talia
Tyrell Crosby
Haniteli Lousi
Zac Schuller
Henry Mondeaux

Quite a large group!
You know you're recruiting well when you have a large group of freshman playing on a top 3 team already stacked with talent. Our coaches really do an incredible job of bringing in talented but mature kids.
Weston
Three Star Recruit

Post by Weston »

wlduck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
Kickoffs were atrocious. Neither deep nor high. Good teams will kill us with field position if we don't improve.
Ain't that the truth. And the coverage on kickoffs stunk. With the poor tackling and the push SD was getting when they pulled the left guard and center, Ducks are going to be in a world of hurt against the Spartans. My panic tells me that our only hope is that the offense is good enough to overcome the perceived shortcomings on defense and special teams. I hate college football. I love college football. :?
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

Weston wrote:
wlduck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
Ain't that the truth. And the coverage on kickoffs stunk. With the poor tackling and the push SD was getting when they pulled the left guard and center, Ducks are going to be in a world of hurt against the Spartans. My panic tells me that our only hope is that the offense is good enough to overcome the perceived shortcomings on defense and special teams. I hate college football. I love college football. :?
I think the coverage was a result of short kicks with no hang time.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

wlduck wrote:
Weston wrote:
wlduck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
I think the coverage was a result of short kicks with no hang time.
Wogan definitely did not get beat on kickoff duty....he HAS to be injured....
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Duck07 wrote:
Phenom wrote: BTW, Mark Helfrich is a different coach than last year. You can just see it in his demeanor and facial expressions. Dude is not satisfied with last year and it shows. We also cut out our penalties after the initial start. He was getting on their asses. Yes!
One thing that comes to mind is that we've heard how the offense has come out of a few practices sloppy early only to correct themselves as the day goes on. The result was we heard that Helf and Greatwood would get on the OL before to make sure they come out strong. Add in the "blue-collars" and it looks like Helf is more comfortable this year in commanding the players attention.

Agree, I really like to watch peoples body language as well as just their demeanor. Helf is very much a different coach than last year. In a good way. I couldn't put my finger on it but he just seemed more confident and in charge. Very good sign
Lightning Strikes
Three Star Recruit

Post by Lightning Strikes »

snapt wrote:Anyone know of some extended highlights or a replay?
I'd also like to watch a replay if anyone has a link.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Lightning Strikes wrote:
I'd also like to watch a replay if anyone has a link.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19470

JustisM
Three Star Recruit

Post by JustisM »

http://noonkick.com/2014-michigan-state-at-oregon/