#4 Oregon Ducks vs South Dakota Coyotes

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: #4 Oregon Ducks vs South Dakota Coyotes

Post by Phenom »

Our offense is scary good and deep. Defense looked better in the 2nd half. Need to tackle better next week. Our veteran LBs need to step up.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

I have to wonder if the Ducks are intentionally not showing their defensive schemes for stopping that power run game. Yes, South Dakota could be pulling the guard and exploiting the same weakness that Oregon's shown in the past. Still, you've got to know that the coaches have worked on stopping that extensively. You also have to figure that Oregon's better players that they practice against are much better than anything that South Dakota has to offer.

I think we'll be just fine next week.
John 3:36
Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Post by Oregonian »

There's a reason South Dakota is the first team on our schedule.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

What a crazy lucky play for South Dakota.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Nice job on the red zone D...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Ton of freshmen playing on D. Did okay.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Second half shut-out, and we're still complaining...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

OreDucks01284
Senior

Post by OreDucks01284 »

woundedknees wrote:Second half shut-out, and we're still complaining...
We need to complain more! not enough!

Send from Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I have to wonder if the Ducks are intentionally not showing their defensive schemes for stopping that power run game.
We got beat by the power run game down the stretch of the regular season, but we stopped it dead in its tracks when Texas tried it in the bowl game. So there's reason to believe the Ducks were willing to let South Dakota run a bit as long as we weren't giving up TDs.

Now, the poor tackling is something to be concerned about... but that stuff can usually be cleaned up. I think our LBs just had a bad game. Our schemes seemed extremely vanilla... the one second-half possession when we really seemed to bring the heat, we stamped out SD in an emphatic three-and-out.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

pezsez1 wrote:
I have to wonder if the Ducks are intentionally not showing their defensive schemes for stopping that power run game.
Now, the poor tackling is something to be concerned about... but that stuff can usually be cleaned up. I think our LBs just had a bad game. Our schemes seemed extremely vanilla... the one second-half possession when we really seemed to bring the heat, we stamped out SD in an emphatic three-and-out.
This.

I wasn't impressed by the linebacker play, they ran themselves out of a lot of plays by being too aggressive. A little extra work in practice will get them to break down before they run themselves past the ball carrier.

As for the defensive schemes, it did seem rather vanilla. I didn't see much stunting or blitzing, if any. That being said, the opposing receivers kept finding holes about 10 yards out. I was wondering if Oregon kept playing a zone coverage, but I couldn't tell for sure. The analysts kept saying Oregon was running man coverage. If that's the case they need to stick tighter to the other teams receivers.

Overall I don't like the 3-4 defense because it ties up our d-linemen so much, but I was impressed with Armstead last night. If he can do that every game and Oregon cleans up the defense a little this team will be just fine.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

No one should stress out. Bama just did get by WV, UCLA squeaks by Virginia and Florida St barely beat OSU. Those were supposed to be "gimmie" game for them and the favorites looked rather pedestrian. We had this wrapped up by halftime so lets focus on next week. That will answer ALL the questions.
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

My take away from this first game ~

Royce Freeman is the real deal

Charles Nelson - definitely lived up to his #6 on that play

The Ducks are scary good on offense. Such maturity this year.

The Ducks are faster. Last couple of years lots of false start penalties or non-production when they would hurry up, but they've started off very well in cleaning that up.

Can't wait to see what plays are drawn up with so much RB talent on the field. Very exciting!

Byron Marshall will never make that mistake again.

Defense - wasn't stellar due to technique, but it was South Dakota. Moseley said last night they were rotating a lot of the new guys into the game at all times, so that is to be expected. You can never simulate a game in practice so this was invaluable experience for them!
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

Thoughts:
Mariota looked a little bit sloppy to me, but he was still otherworldly. A few passes were off target. The way he cooly slides back and fourth and up in the pocket has to impress NFL scouts. Jedi Like.

If Marshall plays anywhere near as effectively in the role he played last night, he is in line for 2000 yards (1000 rushing, 1000 receiving). Cant think of another player who has done that?

I dont ever want to see another duck channeling Desean Jackson near the goal line ever again....

Derrick Malone looked incompetent last night. Slow and indecisive. Very surprised by that. Linebackers were supposed to be a strength.

The amount of Freshmen playing (True or Redshirt) at a high level was unprecedented. Bodes very very well for the future.

The most glaring issue? The Marcus/coaches did not get Tyner a Touchdown. I want all three of those player to be h-a-p-p-y...

Great first game overall. Mistakes, yes. This definitely looks like the most talented team Oregon has ever had (NFL draft site listed Oregon as having the 2nd most Draft prospects, so yeah). If they eliminate mistakes and play with focus it will be a great season. 8-)
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Turns out Jimmie Swain (true freshman LB) was gonna redshirt but they decided to play him last night.
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

Ifo has to be one of my favorite players. He is so smart & he could easily go into broadcasting if he ever felt the urge. Great on camera.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... cart_river