#4 Oregon Ducks vs South Dakota Coyotes

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Re: #4 Oregon Ducks vs South Dakota Coyotes

Post by Tray Dub »

Also, looks like Matt Wogan lost his starting job on both field goals and kickoffs to a walk-on from Grant HS. That's what Olive says anyways.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

For those who have missed it, Marshall has done that same thing at least 3 other times, but the refs have missed it.
That said, BM was amazing last night, he has awesome hands and took the big hit and held onto the ball. There will be no stacking the box to stop our run game as long as he and Carrington (who I though looked great also) continue to play the way they did last night. I feel like this years team has a lot more balance than last years team honestly. You can't take away one or two guys and dare us to beat you with other players, because you'll just look silly doing that. I can't wait to see us regularly have Royce and Tyner in the backfield together, and Marshall at the slot. DC will literally s*** themselves.

Last year I was hard on the OL, last night they played great! So impressed, no stupid penalties and they opened holes and gave MM tons of time. Big ups to them.

I would go into the D, but what can I say that hasn't already been said? the DL played much better in the 2nd half, but Malone and Hardrick played just like a year ago. Put in Walker and Mattingly there is no way they can be worse than these two guys. Or bring in Swain and let him make fr mistakes. I can live with fr mistakes, I can't live with another year of sr playing like garbage. And it wasn't just the tackling, Malone was consistently 3-4 yrds behind whoever he was covering, just brutal stuff.

DB play was ok, I felt like they improved as the game wore on, but we'll find out a lot more about them next week.
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

ROYCE FREEMAN................ :shock: Puttin' on a gun show!

http://www.goducks.com/mediaPortal/play ... oem_id=500
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

MFRDuckFan wrote:ROYCE FREEMAN................ :shock: Puttin' on a gun show!

Hoooooly s***. That dude is BUFF. :shock:
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

MFRDuckFan wrote:ROYCE FREEMAN................ :shock: Puttin' on a gun show!

Considering that Royce is a year younger than Leonard Fournette and actually faster and stronger I wonder if/how much longer before Skip Bayless talks about the Rolls Royce as a Top 5 draft pick, lol.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

bigsugarduck wrote:The most glaring issue? The Marcus/coaches did not get Tyner a Touchdown. I want all three of those player to be h-a-p-p-y...
He was the first RB out there and got plenty of carries. He was well on his way to getting a TD before he got dinged up on a play. He came back after so I don't think it was a huge deal.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phenom wrote:
bigsugarduck wrote:The most glaring issue? The Marcus/coaches did not get Tyner a Touchdown. I want all three of those player to be h-a-p-p-y...
He was the first RB out there and got plenty of carries. He was well on his way to getting a TD before he got dinged up on a play. He came back after so I don't think it was a huge deal.
I thought the Tyner crowd would have been all over this today. Perhaps they are all trying to join the Rolls-Royce crowd :lol:
cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Post by cmmadness »

Duck07 wrote:
Phenom wrote:
I thought the Tyner crowd would have been all over this today. Perhaps they are all trying to join the Rolls-Royce crowd :lol:
Yeah, I saw Tyner walk off a little gingerly and was hoping he was OK. I'm definitely part of "The Tyner crowd" but after watching Byron and Royce last night, I'm now part of the "They might all rush for 1000 yards each crowd." :)
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

buckmarkduck wrote:For those who have missed it, Marshall has done that same thing at least 3 other times, but the refs have missed it.
That said, BM was amazing last night, he has awesome hands and took the big hit and held onto the ball. There will be no stacking the box to stop our run game as long as he and Carrington (who I though looked great also) continue to play the way they did last night. I feel like this years team has a lot more balance than last years team honestly. You can't take away one or two guys and dare us to beat you with other players, because you'll just look silly doing that. I can't wait to see us regularly have Royce and Tyner in the backfield together, and Marshall at the slot. DC will literally s*** themselves.

Last year I was hard on the OL, last night they played great! So impressed, no stupid penalties and they opened holes and gave MM tons of time. Big ups to them.

I would go into the D, but what can I say that hasn't already been said? the DL played much better in the 2nd half, but Malone and Hardrick played just like a year ago. Put in Walker and Mattingly there is no way they can be worse than these two guys. Or bring in Swain and let him make fr mistakes. I can live with fr mistakes, I can't live with another year of sr playing like garbage. And it wasn't just the tackling, Malone was consistently 3-4 yrds behind whoever he was covering, just brutal stuff.

DB play was ok, I felt like they improved as the game wore on, but we'll find out a lot more about them next week.
I was going to make a game thoughts post put you pretty much said my thoughts exactly. Especially the LBs bit, Malone looked awful and Hardrick wasn't much better. Put in the young talent and let them figure it out. Even if they struggled we would at least be investing in our future at the position rather than letting SRs waste everyone's time. Malone and Hardrick aren't getting any better at this point.

Also I loved how Marshall was used. It's what we were waiting for the coaches to do with De'Anthony all 3 of his years here.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Hardrick still has a couple years of eligibility (counting this one) and looked pretty good in the Spring game and fall camp from what I've heard. I didn't notice him in the game after the first series. Malone, though...I remember they asked him if he gained any muscle this offseason...he said like 2 pounds. lol Dude is just too weak. He came here as a safety and never developed his body as much as he should have. I mean, he's heavier than Clay was, but Clay was thick and strong.

The silver lining in all of this is that they know they will have to improve against MSU. Instead of going in cocky, they must take this seriously and prepare or get their asses kicked by another big physical team.

BTW, Mark Helfrich is a different coach than last year. You can just see it in his demeanor and facial expressions. Dude is not satisfied with last year and it shows. We also cut out our penalties after the initial start. He was getting on their asses. Yes!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Tray Dub wrote:Also, looks like Matt Wogan lost his starting job on both field goals and kickoffs to a walk-on from Grant HS. That's what Olive says anyways.
I saw someone on Twitter saying he may have aggravated an injury from fall camp and that there was always the intention to play both in game situations to solidify their final positions.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Phenom wrote: BTW, Mark Helfrich is a different coach than last year. You can just see it in his demeanor and facial expressions. Dude is not satisfied with last year and it shows. We also cut out our penalties after the initial start. He was getting on their asses. Yes!
Only referring to the play calling, NOT the execution or results, but right off the bat I saw a huge improvement in the play calling. Props to Helf and Frost for making good adjustments over the off-season. The use of Marshall was friggin brilliant! What a great use of 3 excellent runningbacks.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phenom wrote: BTW, Mark Helfrich is a different coach than last year. You can just see it in his demeanor and facial expressions. Dude is not satisfied with last year and it shows. We also cut out our penalties after the initial start. He was getting on their asses. Yes!
One thing that comes to mind is that we've heard how the offense has come out of a few practices sloppy early only to correct themselves as the day goes on. The result was we heard that Helf and Greatwood would get on the OL before to make sure they come out strong. Add in the "blue-collars" and it looks like Helf is more comfortable this year in commanding the players attention.
duxforlyfe
Three Star Recruit

Post by duxforlyfe »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:I'll be surprised if we win another game this year. Definitely won't be watching another game... probably just sit in the game threads and complain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
snapt
Four Star Recruit

Post by snapt »

Anyone know of some extended highlights or a replay?
BOOF it!