kbmerz
One Star Recruit

Oregon most overrated team this year?

Post by kbmerz »

An acquaintance said " Oregon will be the most overrated team this year"

Thoughts????
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Re: Oregon most overrated team this year?

Post by duck541 »

My gut reaction is to call your acquaintance an idiot but if we suffer a few injuries or the D never gels things could get ugly. Realistically I think we could drop 4 games if the D really struggles and the oline doesn't take that next step. That would certainly put us in the running for most overrated.

However, I doubt that happens. I think UCF is the most overrated team considering some publications still have them in the top 10 for next year and they lose Bortles, Johnson, and 3/5 of their line.

TAMU and Louisville are also much more likely to take major steps back I think.

I also think Notre Dame struggles more than people think, although their not as highly rated by some. I've seen them in the top 15 with Golston coming back and I think he'll probably be a bit rusty, plus they lose a LOT on D.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

If Mariota goes down then we could lose to anyone really. With him healthy though I don't see us falling out of top 15 at absolute worst.
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Good money would be on a team like Florida
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I don't agree with that, but I am biased.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I'll decide after the Michigan State game.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Post by DAT_man_again »

Our offense could be the best it has ever been. Best QB ever to play at Oregon, star receiver in Addison, beasts at both tackle spots and center, a guy who I think will end up as one if the top 5 running backs to play at Oregon with a breakout year (tyner), ol' reliable Byron Marshall, a couple of really solid tight ends etc. Out offense will be near unstoppable.

Our defense on the other hand scares me a little. They have a ton of talent. We will just have to see what DP brings.

Overrated however? I firmly believe we will be in the playoffs.
"You know we the big brother." - Cliff Harris

"Y'all know what time it is." -Damian Lillard
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

So many "DP" jokes this year...lol
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

UOducksTK1 wrote:I'll decide after the Michigan State game.
^ This

Michigan State is going to be a very good team next year and will likely be a good indicator for the rest of the season.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I think we beat Michigan State. No disrespect of the Spartans. They are and will be a very good team. We do get them at home and do expect we will be up for them. I have a great deal of respect for them and they did beat Stanford and have a very good defense. I still look at fact they are traveling across the country with 1 week to prepare for our offense and the second game is usually where you see the most improvement from one week to another. I am a little more concerned going down the road and in Pac 12 play. UCLA on the road comes to mind. In regards to the playoffs hmmm I will wait and see. I want to see more out of our coaches in terms of creativity and more control over the players before think about this team being in the playoffs. I think they have the talent and should win the Pac 12. They should have last year but we know how that turned out.
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I think we beat Michigan State. No disrespect of the Spartans. They are and will be a very good team. We do get them at home and do expect we will be up for them. I have a great deal of respect for them and they did beat Stanford and have a very good defense. I still look at fact they are traveling across the country with 1 week to prepare for our offense and the second game is usually where you see the most improvement from one week to another. I am a little more concerned going down the road and in Pac 12 play. UCLA on the road comes to mind. In regards to the playoffs hmmm I will wait and see. I want to see more out of our coaches in terms of creativity and more control over the players before think about this team being in the playoffs. I think they have the talent and should win the Pac 12. They should have last year but we know how that turned out.

I tend to agree with most all of what is above. I think Michigan State is going to be great this year, but I think the Ducks will beat them and it wouldn't surprise me to see them win comfortably. Getting them early in the year,and in Autzen stadium being the key. Barring any crushing spring injuries, I think our Ducks will be a surprise to the Spartans. Mariota will be the best player they'll face all year and our overall team speed will be superior to anyone they play, with the exception of Ohio State. I'm not sold on the Spartans' ability to score, and Cook will struggle against our secondary.

My bigger worry is the conference slate. The Pac 12 will be as deep as it has been in a very long time. It will be no easy thing to make it out unscathed. I too hope to see our offensive staff shake off the rookie jitters and dial up the tempo a bit more. I'm not convinced this is the most talented team in the Pac12, but I do think we've got some positional units that will outperform many expectations.
AKA: CAgrown
bigfootlebowski
Three Star Recruit

Post by bigfootlebowski »

Given what i saw from the team and last years coaches...i would tend to agree...we could earn a top 5 ranking with our play on the field but to start out there is a stretch...maybe pellum can plug the leaking defensive boat by simply being more accountable, but i wont buy it till i see on the field, if we cant stop a rushing attack team we are dead in the water...we didnt get the space eaters we needed and lost a couple of good ones, we lack the depth on the DL we have had in the past and size...The offense at least my impression of it underperformed and went downhill over the season, they started the year with DT and CL both of which are incredible talents and this coaching staff couldnt keep their heads in the game or on the team...

it seemed relative to CK seasons of past our 'system' is no longer way ahead of other teams, as some of them have become clones of us...

My before spring game prognosis well lose at least 3 games this year...

yes i know there are potential stars waiting in the wings, but at this time of year thats always true and everyone is undefeated...

my after spring game prognosis: ?
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Every team is overrated at this point, preseason polls are a joke. Especially in a sport where, if you play your cards right (weak OOC and weak conference. ie tOSU), you can go an entire season without ever having to validate your high ranking. I absolutely love college football, there's nothing like it, but I get more and more disgusted with the system each year. Being in the midst of college basketball's incredible post season tourney at the moment doesn't exactly improve my opinion on the matter either.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Having gone back and watched last year, our biggest issue was OL. If those issues are fixed, I don't see us being overrated this year. As long as. Marcus is healthy, there isn't to many teams that can beat us. Given the stuff I've heard about Brown and Carrington, we could very well have our best WR core in the last 20 years. At RB we saw glimpses of what Tyner can do, and now that he's up to 217 and squatting over 500, he should have a huge year. Hopefully with him and Freeman, we shouldn't have those horrible 3 and short that get stuffed, like we saw so much the last two years. Again the season is all about the OL, at least just being good. They don't have to be great, but don't get pushed back every play, and keep MM from taking a bunch of hits.

Oh and last year, teams figured out that our OL was crap and took advantage of that the final month, along with MM being more injured then we know. I firmly believe we could have been ran on all year, but teams can't run when they are down 21-28 points.
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think it was mainly our guards that were weak. Johnstone and fisher had off moments but were solid overall. Hunt should improve a good amount and the the other guard spot is up for grabs. Let's hope thats someone is ready to make that leap