A SOLUTION FOR STOPPING STANFORD ON 3RD DOWN

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

FishDuck
Three Star Recruit

A SOLUTION FOR STOPPING STANFORD ON 3RD DOWN

Post by FishDuck »

This analysis is why I love having guest coaches’ present articles—because I learn a ton from them. As always...read over there and come back here to discuss, and I’d be interested in what others think about other methods of stopping the Stanford Power Game.

http://fishduck.com/2014/04/a-solution- ... -3rd-down/
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Re: A SOLUTION FOR STOPPING STANFORD ON 3RD DOWN

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I know we tend to use a 3-4 hybrid based scheme as our main defense. The question I might have in the analysis is that if our defense against their power run especially on 3rd down has been unsuccessful where do we turn to stop it on a continuous basis. If running the contain method is not working for us, and it seems the spill method is not used by most teams running a 3-4 defense even if it is a hybrid of it, how do we combat it as an effective continuous stop on 3rd down. I know there has to be a way. I am not a coach and do not have the in depth knowledge that our coaches do. It is obvious though in the last 2 years our contain method has not worked for us in a 3rd and 3 or 4 as Stanford converts first down and continues to hang on to the ball longer and effectively shortens the game.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Schematically speaking, we had players in the right positions who simply didn't make the play. You can change how you attack an offense but you've still got to play football once you get there. In examining the write-up, you can see how the loss of Kiko's ability to blitz as an ILB was clearly missing from the defense last year. When a team pulls a blocker to the playside if you can beat them to the point or slip behind them you can help blow the play up. The timidness of the backers to fill/attack was missing and something to really watch for this year.

Conversely, we've seen our offense get into favorable situations where the Stanford D simply made the play 1 v 1.
FishDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by FishDuck »

The defender being kicked out, whether a DE or OLB must truly crash the fullback or pulling guard to blow up the play and this is our men being as tough as they are. This might be the year where we see that toughness and dedication at the LOS. Make them bounce outside and the speed of our secondary can keep the gains short?