Addison Injures Knee?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck24
Senior

Re: Addison Injures Knee?

Post by Duck24 »

greenyellow wrote:With Carrington it sounds like he has a wrist injury that he'll likely return from, but he's going to have to miss spring drills. As for Addison, Oregon will need all their young WRs to step it up. There just aren't many WRs with a lot of experience with Huff and Hawkins gone from graduation and now Addison out with injury. Lowe is the only guy with any measurable playing time. They have all spring and fall camp to find the answers so it's not going to hurt them just yet.
Better learn quick with Michigan State coming week two. Outside of Mariota and Ifo, this is the absolute worst player to lose. All of these highly recruited and highly regarded WR's need to step up and compete. The door couldn't be more wide open for those guys to make an impact.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Mariota can get ANYONE the ball. Terrible news for Addison, hes a great kid and great player, but I don't see us missing a beat.
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

We'll likely see lots of double TE sets with Brown flexed out to try and create mismatches with his size & speed. Unless some of the young WRs really blossom this spring, this is as unproven as we'll have been at the WR position since Maehl's first year as the go-to guy?
AKA: CAgrown
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

Duck24 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:With Carrington it sounds like he has a wrist injury that he'll likely return from, but he's going to have to miss spring drills. As for Addison, Oregon will need all their young WRs to step it up. There just aren't many WRs with a lot of experience with Huff and Hawkins gone from graduation and now Addison out with injury. Lowe is the only guy with any measurable playing time. They have all spring and fall camp to find the answers so it's not going to hurt them just yet.
Better learn quick with Michigan State coming week two. Outside of Mariota and Ifo, this is the absolute worst player to lose. All of these highly recruited and highly regarded WR's need to step up and compete. The door couldn't be more wide open for those guys to make an impact.
While I agree that losing Addison sucks, I don't think I'd rank Addison 3rd in importance behind Mariota and Ifo. I think losing Grasu, another LT, Buckner, or Armstead would all be more damaging than Addison. We'll just have to test all that depth we have supposedly acquired on the outside. Also, as long as Mariota is healthy playing QB I think he'll be able to get the ball to just about anyone.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I think this sucks. Addison is such a great player both as a receiver and as a special teams punt returner. We have done good with our punt returns though and always seem to find someone to do good at that. The experience at receiver just took a huge hit. That being said I will throw something out that has not been mentioned just yet. I think with Marshall and Tyner we might start running the ball little more. We have been a run first team for awhile. The inexperience at receiver might mean we do it even more. We will need a go to guy though when game is on line and have a 3rd and 8 or something. This is where can see it hurting the most. Lowe has the most experience and as much as love the kid because is an Oregon kid I am not totally sold on him yet being our go to guy. Not saying he can not do it. I think he has the talent but we have not seen him really take that next step in his development. I truly hope he can. I have nothing against him. I really feel sorry for Addison. Beyond football this must be hard for him. Kids like him hate sitting on sideline and feeling helpless. Hopefully he can be a positive influence and maybe help the young receivers. That way he still feels involved.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

Brings two questions to my mind. Is Dungy sorry he left? And could he have been a contributor?
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

QuackininBama wrote:Mariota can get ANYONE the ball. Terrible news for Addison, hes a great kid and great player, but I don't see us missing a beat.
Receiver has to be open to have a chance for Mariota to throw him the ball.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

andreezy wrote:Stanford had almost as big of an impact their freshman year as Bralon did, so I'm hopeful he can fill some of void. Not necessarily a game breaker, but a tough match-up that we didn't have last year.
11 receptions and 0 touchdowns vs 83 receptions and 10 touchdowns. We'll see though, maybe Stanford could contribute. Outside of Mariota, hearing Addison is probably out for the year has to be the worst possible news.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Elduderino wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
While I agree that losing Addison sucks, I don't think I'd rank Addison 3rd in importance behind Mariota and Ifo. I think losing Grasu, another LT, Buckner, or Armstead would all be more damaging than Addison. We'll just have to test all that depth we have supposedly acquired on the outside. Also, as long as Mariota is healthy playing QB I think he'll be able to get the ball to just about anyone.
Not that I care too much to argue who would be the biggest lose, but keep in mind how deadly Addison is on special teams also. Losing an OL/DL for sure would hurt, but we already lost two big skill players in DAT and Huff last year. Losing Addison too is a massive blow.

Look at this way, we just lost 71% of our receiving yards from last year. That's a massive hole to fill, and honestly I think this ends up hurting us in games where our offense starts sputtering. Mundt is our only returning receiver with more than 250 receiving yards.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
andreezy wrote:Stanford had almost as big of an impact their freshman year as Bralon did, so I'm hopeful he can fill some of void. Not necessarily a game breaker, but a tough match-up that we didn't have last year.
11 receptions and 0 touchdowns vs 83 receptions and 10 touchdowns. We'll see though, maybe Stanford could contribute. Outside of Mariota, hearing Addison is probably out for the year has to be the worst possible news.
I think he was comparing Stanford's freshman year to Addison's freshman year, when Addison had 22 receptions for 243 yards and 3 touchdowns. Obviously Stanford didn't do that good, but definitely a closer comparison.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

We have a lot better WR than folks think. If we had to lose anyone, WR is the spot we can cover up the easiest. Imagine if we lose a DL or two? Our season would be 45-42 games.
Elduderino
Senior

Post by Elduderino »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Elduderino wrote:
Duck24 wrote:
Not that I care too much to argue who would be the biggest lose, but keep in mind how deadly Addison is on special teams also. Losing an OL/DL for sure would hurt, but we already lost two big skill players in DAT and Huff last year. Losing Addison too is a massive blow.

Look at this way, we just lost 71% of our receiving yards from last year. That's a massive hole to fill, and honestly I think this ends up hurting us in games where our offense starts sputtering. Mundt is our only returning receiver with more than 250 receiving yards.
I think your second point is more worrisome. We're definitely as inexperienced as we've been at the WR spot in a long time. That being said, we've got a guy who, when healthy, is the best QB in the country tasked with getting the ball out to inexperienced but also talented young WRs. We're going to be a better running team this year, and our young guys are going to see a lot of single coverage as teams move down to help against the run. I'm eager to see how our athleticism shows. I would guess our offense will look a lot more like 2011 than 2013.

In special teams, I'm extremely confident we've got an adequate fill in somewhere on the roster. Don't get me wrong, Addison is a big loss. I just think that if there was a spot to lose a talented player, WR is one of those spots.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

I just feel terrible for Bralon. He strikes me as just a real fine and mature young man. Hopefully he gets all the support he needs from family, players, coaches, and prayers, etc.

But count me more on the side of the thinking that we should have enough depth such that this doesn't look like a catastrophic loss as far as the effectiveness of the football team. Obviously, we'll see. But I think we have a lot of talent that can rise to the top with this opportunity, and the point about it happening now, early in spring practice, being much better than if it happened in preseason camp or later, is a good one.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

If there's any silver lining to this I'd have to look at it from this angle.

#1. This just might turn out to be an advantage for us vs Michigan State. With Addison out and without a proven backup, they may change their defensive game plan.

In addition to what they're seeing on the practice field, the Oregon coaches will likely be watching an awful lot of film, looking at the Michigan State secondary and then looking at which of our young receivers are best able to exploit certain matchups. It's almost a given now that MSU will be placing a lot of focus on shutting down the Oregon running game and putting pressure on Mariota. It will be interesting to see what the coaches do to potentially work this to our advantage.

#2. By mid-season we'll have a stable of experience at wide receiver.

#3. We'll lose Keenon Lowe next season, but we'll have Addison back and, as mentioned above, we'll have a stable of experienced wide receivers.

#4. This will almost certainly have a positive impact on the starting QB next year, as well. We'll have outstanding receivers, tight ends and running backs with a LOT of depth at every skill position. That will help take a lot of pressure off the new QB.

Also, this is unrelated, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. Even though Grasu will likely join Mariota in the NFL draft next year, the transition won't necessarily be as painful as one might think, because the new center and QB will be working and learning together. You know there's going to be BIG Time competition for those spots, so I think they'll be ready to go.

Once again, I'm not happy in any way that Bralon Addison went down. My heart goes out to the kid. I just happen to see a few ways where it might just work out alright, both in the short term and long term.

My two bits.
John 3:36
OreDucks01284
Senior

Post by OreDucks01284 »

I am glad it happen now, so that others will have more reps to see who will step up, its better than losing him during season and guys behind him with no reps or little reps replace him.