The Ducks will win the Pac-10 in 2009

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DmoneyDuck
Freshman

The Ducks will win the Pac-10 in 2009

Post by DmoneyDuck »

I already thought we had a good chance with Masoli and Blount returning after great performances to end the season in combination with our great home schedule, but with Sanchez deploying early for the NFL I am now fairly confident in our boys' chance to dethrone the champs.

The last time we had a quarterback returning off of a great season was Joey back in 2001 off of his stellar 2000 campaign, and that season turned out okay. I am not worried about an injury to Masoli, because of his stocky built and he seems physically fit to endure the contact, hell he initiates the contact!

Yes, we lose 3 OL starters, but we are like the Denver Broncos when it comes to great Offensive Lines. We have the best coach at that position and we have a young crop of players who were very touted out of high school to pave the way for our backs. Regardless of Bryce Brown, I am a believer in Blount. I know he will progress even more and he won't have any games next year like he did vs Sc this year. James gives us that scatback that is so popular now and is a perfect compliment to Bount's angry running style. Andre Crenshaw is also a nice 3rd down back or someone to fill in.

Our offense will truly be elite if our WR's continue to their blocking expertise. Yes, I want them to catch the rock, but they earn their schollies blocking downfield. Jaison will be impossible to replace regardless of his lack of hands at times. He was the most dominant downfield blocker I have ever seen at this level. Hopefully, Drew Davis is going to be able recover %100 and continue to show his potential like he did vs. Arizona. Harper and Holland look to be our break out players. The things we should be able to do with these 2 will be amazing. Finally, Ed Dickson needs to get All-American touches. He is that type of talent and needs the ball. He is our one true go-to receiver.

Defensively, I am excited for our squad in 09. Yes, Nick is here, but I think we have enough talent to overcome his inability to call a proper game. We finally have a studly line backing core. Mathews, Paysinger, Pritchett, Littlejohn, Irvin, and Stuckey are all big time players. Paysinger will make 1st Team Pac-10; he has the talent to be special.

The ONE player I didn't want to lose was Nick Reed. He was the heart and soul of our D, but luckily Will Tukuafu was nearly just as good last year and has a year to keep improving. Kenny Rowe needs to become the pass-rushing beast he has the capabilities to be as well. Actually, our biggest loss could be Sonny Harris. He far and away exceeded expectations this year. He just stuffed everything and Cole Linehan wasn't far off either. Tonio has the potential to be great, but hopefully he has the motor. We are going to have to heavily rely on JC's to step in and fill our DT voids.

The best secondary in the Pac-10 resides in Eugene. Byrd is a playmaker like none other and Walter is starting to become a lock down corner. Both players can be beat by great WR's (see Bryant, Dez), but are there really any WR's in the Pac-10 to fear? TJ FREAKING WARD! I love this kid. He brings the wood to the opposition and is a ballhawk. I can't wait to see he and Juice monitoring the safety positions.

I think the key point will be having Jeremiah Masoli going into the offseason. Last year we had so much speculation as to who our QB would be and went through the carousal of injuries. If Masoli plays the whole season, I just don't see a better QB in conference. I fully admit I was wrong about Masoli. He stepped it up and is a great QB. To my defense though, Masoli was not being used properly during the Cal, Stanford games. once we got the zone-read option flowing, it was OVER!

Way too early Pac-10 Predictions for 2009

1-Oregon
2-USC
3-Cal
4T-Stanford
4T-Oregon State
6- Arizona State
7- UCLA
8- Arizona
9- Washington
10-Washington State
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Re: The Ducks will win the Pac-10 in 2009

Post by duckgrad99 »

I definitely think it's possible. Injuries are always a huge key. After playing Boise St, Utah and Purdue, we should be fully tested and ready for pac-10 play.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

I think it's a possibility, but keep in mind that USC has several dang good QBs. Mitch Mustain [Who, as a freshman won 8 games before being benched at his previous school, and then transferring] and Aaron Corp are both guys Oregon would have been thrilled to get, and have potential out the wazoo... Barkley should be good as well, once he has a chance to learn the system.

IMO, Sanchez departure won't have near as much impact as the identity and style of the USC OC/DC will.

Get the wrong guy, and it will take a while to adjust.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Our schedule is really a killer. We definitely have the talent to win the pac-10, but we've got like 5-6 hard games on our schedule. It's just a matter of how the team responds to the challenges.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
addictedtoquack
Three Star Recruit

Post by addictedtoquack »

Yeah, Utah is gonna be a bitch. Can't remember if we have them at home, but either way they will be tough, there is definitely a reason why the finished top 10, and why they beat Alabama. The first three games will tell the season, if we win all three I think we roll to a possible undefeated season.
OreDucks01284
Senior

Post by OreDucks01284 »

team that beat alamaba won't be same team against us. They lost a lot of players, some of them are key players. Plus They barely beat beavers, so we shouldn't have problem against them.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Its seems like this might be our year. It very well could be blind optimism on my part, but I feel the stars are in alignment.

Utah was very heavily senior laden, and two young stars just declared. Beating them gives instant credibility with the voters now.
Boise's two top receivers (the two the put the hurt in us) are now gone to - one left early - NFL. Beating them on the blue also would give us a huge leap up as the SEC piles up cup-cake victories.
Perdue at home, we should have that
USC is reloading, but I really feel we have a shot at them this year in Autzen.
The rest of the Pac-10 will be tough this year, but our finish was very strong.
We surely have a few key rolls to fill (Unger, Reed..etc), but our young offensive keys are really coming into their own. Plus, for some reason I feel like Chris Harper is going to have a huge breakout season. I bet he finds his way into some type of Heisman discussion before its all over for him an UofO. I would personally like to see him at RB. Faster than Blount with the same size and very quick. I think he is a natural fit there and would be NFL bound. If we picked up Brown, what a 1 - 2 -3 punch that would be with LaMichael, Brown, and Harper in 2010. Yikes!
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

I really do like our chances, but there is a lot that can happen between now and the end of the season.

Call it guarded optimism, but I'm only going to say that we have the potential to win the Pac-10.
Mops
Four Star Recruit

Post by Mops »

The future of Oregon football looks bright but it is still too early for myself to say we will win the pac. Now, I will say we have the talent to compete for that title.

Great post however! Love seeing some indepth posts!
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

I am just not a believer in Mustain. He couldn't even beat out Corp and he had starters experience over him. I know they get nothing but all american HS prospects, but they lose an AWFUL LOT of talent on defense.
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

USC loses a lot and may be vunerable, but keep in mind there's a ton of talent on that roster and we're losing a lot of key guys as well...most of the O-line, both of our senior leaders on defense, two starting wr's, our starting rb, etc.

Should be an interesting season, I can't believe we have to wait 8 1/2 months for the season to kickoff!
ivegottabigduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by ivegottabigduck »

I am calling my shot now that barring LGB not being eligible or Masoli getting hurt or some similar disaster, we will be going to a BCS game this year.
briarduck
Senior

Post by briarduck »

Great breakdown...and I agree we should be able to win the conference this year but it ain't going to be easy!
How strong do we look if we win our OOC games and our conference?

GO DUCKS!!
GO DUCKS!! WTD!
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

briarduck wrote:Great breakdown...and I agree we should be able to win the conference this year but it ain't going to be easy!
How strong do we look if we win our OOC games and our conference?

GO DUCKS!!

I know this is all just speculation...but, IF we beat the smurfs on their field and beat Utah and Purdue at home and then manage to win the Pac-10 we should be in a VERY good position for one of the top BCS bowls if not THE BCS bowl.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine