DeForest Buckner: A new All-American Emerging?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

FishDuck
Three Star Recruit

DeForest Buckner: A new All-American Emerging?

Post by FishDuck »

A player who gradually stood out often as last season progressed was DeForest Buckner and it was fun to look at some of his plays in the Alamo Bowl. As always-read over there and comment here, and I would be curious if the coaches in the crowd have anything to add to it.

http://fishduck.com/2014/07/deforest-bu ... -emerging/
Duck07
All-American

Re: DeForest Buckner: A new All-American Emerging?

Post by Duck07 »

That gap between the guard and center is the “B” gap and Buckner is responsible for defending it.
That's the A Gap, in the first play Buckner is attacking the B Gap between the RG/RT, not between the Guard and Center. The NT is the one who really sets that play apart as his driving the C back through a double team is what helps that play lead to 0 yards.
Keliikipi (No. 2 above) is turning the corner unimpeded and appears to be headed to a clash with a Longhorn H-Back, who is leading the way into the hole.
That's the Texas LT who pulled on the play, leaving Armstead to be blocked by the TE and LG. It'd be tough to beat a LT/LG double so beating a TE/LG double is a good-sign.

Most people love to focus on Arik Armstead as our "premier" talent on the DL but since they came to campus I've thought DeForest has been a big factor for us and he could really set himself apart this year with a great season!
FishDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by FishDuck »

Good Catch. That SHOULD be as you wrote on the first one, and was what I intended. (I know what an "A" and "B" gap are) I'll go change it now-thanks.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I'm definitely on the Buckner bandwagon, thanks for sharing fish.

I think our Dline has a breakout year this upcoming season.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
duxforlyfe
Three Star Recruit

Post by duxforlyfe »

I know this thread is about DeForest, but do ya'll think Torrodney Prevot will make some noise? I would love to have a solid two deep at DE.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

duxforlyfe wrote:I know this thread is about DeForest, but do ya'll think Torrodney Prevot will make some noise? I would love to have a solid two deep at DE.
Prevot is an OLB. He had an awesome spring from what I've heard and is becoming a leader already.

DeForrest is the most underrated player on the team, IMO.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Buckner is very unlikely to be an All-American. He might be more talented than the guys who do eventually win the award, but a 2 gap 3-4 DE will have an extremely difficult time getting the stats needed for that kind of post season award.

Hart's numbers were really very good for 3-4 2 gap interior lineman as were Brandon Bairs, but in both cases they got a lot of hustle stats running down plays where the point of attack was far away from their assigned gaps. But even their numbers fell short of gaining the honors and appreciation they deserved except by the team and coaches and Oregon fans.

No Oregon DL has led the team in either tackles, sacks or tackles for loss since Oregon has gone 3-4 and that is not peculiar to Oregon's 3-4 at all, it is the norm in both college and the NFL.

It is one of the reasons that recruiting DLs is so difficult for Oregon and many other 3-4 teams. 4 and 5 stars who want to go the the NFL are attracted to 4-3 defenses where they have a systematic advantage in racking up stats. If you look nationally at the 3-4 teams with highly recruited DL, look at location of those players. They are often getting the kids that value playing close to home more than they care about the system. Heck, Oregon wouldn't admit they played a 3-4 for years even though any opposing coach knew in the 1st minute of film study that that was their actual base defense. I believe that denial of the obvious was for recruiting purposes, as they certainly wouldn't have been fooling the opposition.

On the other hand, recruiting linebackers should be just the opposite. Your OLBs should be your team leader in Sacks and TFLs every year and your ILBs should be racking up tackles.
docsutton89
Three Star Recruit

Post by docsutton89 »

The D as a whole should be feared this year. I really do think if our injured receiving group can catch the ball it will be our year to face FSU in the natty