Purely hypothetical question...

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GoDucksIn09
Senior

Purely hypothetical question...

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

We as duck fans still have about 6 weeks before our first game. I am not trying to cause any kind of debate per se... just getting some feedback from other duck fans. If Oregon loses 2 games during the season and does not play in the Pac 12 championship do you think that Mark Helfrich will be on the hot seat or maybe even get fired. I like him as a person and think it is cool having a guy from Oregon coaching our team. That being said though... being a nice guy does not always play well when it comes to being a coach. I can only imagine how difficult it is to have to follow Chip Kelly and the way he elevated the program. For me personally... it is not the loss to Stanford that bothers me... although it was tough to swallow... it is the game against Arizona that kind of rubs me the wrong way. I know and believe all coaches have games they just can not get their team to focus on and play well. I look at this years schedule and I see at least 4 games that could be trouble. I think we win them but for the sake of this post and this question.. I will point to them. We have games against Michigan State. Washington, and Stanford and yes all of them are at home but none can be taken lightly. We also have a game at UCLA down there. This is all hypothetical of course. Just wondering how many games Oregon loses before Helfrich is questioned as a coach. I would love for Oregon to win all of them and be playing for the national championship. I do believe that is a realistic and achievable goal. The question is mainly considering what happens if they do not get there or even get to the Pac 12 championship. What then will be said or done with Helfrich.
duckfan22
Senior

Re: Purely hypothetical question...

Post by duckfan22 »

This is all hypothetical of course. Just wondering how many games Oregon loses before Helfrich is questioned as a coach.

Questioning him as coach started before he got the job. I don't really think he will be on the hot seat until
he has all of his own players. They questioned his recruiting but what were seeing this summer so far with the
commits already and how aggressive they have been may change that a bit. But like all programs that have
expectations put upon them like Oregon it may not take many losses to make his seat a bit hotter.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

stay at 9 - 10 wins a year and I doubt there will be a hot seat anytime soon
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I think in a way his seat is already a little warm, but that's not his fault. I never didn't want him to be the coach, but I knew the day he was hired, that he would be no Chip Kelly, but that's no insult to him. Given the fans and the great feeling they got from success, they wanted nothing less. Last year was a tough year to swallow. We looked unbeatable at times, such as when they scored like 8 straight touchdowns against Tennessee and handling Washington without DeAnthony Thomas. However, even during those games, we saw a lot of sloppiness and a lack of fundamentals that was quite scary, and that sloppiness caught on later in the season when Mariota wasn't 100%. Obviously, Helf wasn't perfect, and has some growing pains along with Frost, I know the AD will be patient with him, as they should be, but if we don't see some changes this year in his coaching style and if we have a few losses this year with one loss like the Arizona loss last year, then I do think some fans will call for his head, and that alone may be enough for his seat to get even warmer.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I think in a way his seat is already a little warm, but that's not his fault. I never didn't want him to be the coach, but I knew the day he was hired, that he would be no Chip Kelly, but that's no insult to him. Given the fans and the great feeling they got from success, they wanted nothing less. Last year was a tough year to swallow. We looked unbeatable at times, such as when they scored like 8 straight touchdowns against Tennessee and handling Washington without DeAnthony Thomas. However, even during those games, we saw a lot of sloppiness and a lack of fundamentals that was quite scary, and that sloppiness caught on later in the season when Mariota wasn't 100%. Obviously, Helf wasn't perfect, and has some growing pains along with Frost, I know the AD will be patient with him, as they should be, but if we don't see some changes this year in his coaching style and if we have a few losses this year with one loss like the Arizona loss last year, then I do think some fans will call for his head, and that alone may be enough for his seat to get even warmer.
Pretty much this. Helf and Frost were rookies themselves. Kelly wasn't perfect when he started getting manhandled by Boise St, then the game against Ohio St.....he is going to have some growing pains for realistically, the next year or two before we see what kind of coach he can be. I'm willing to wait.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

QuackininBama wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I think in a way his seat is already a little warm, but that's not his fault. I never didn't want him to be the coach, but I knew the day he was hired, that he would be no Chip Kelly, but that's no insult to him. Given the fans and the great feeling they got from success, they wanted nothing less. Last year was a tough year to swallow. We looked unbeatable at times, such as when they scored like 8 straight touchdowns against Tennessee and handling Washington without DeAnthony Thomas. However, even during those games, we saw a lot of sloppiness and a lack of fundamentals that was quite scary, and that sloppiness caught on later in the season when Mariota wasn't 100%. Obviously, Helf wasn't perfect, and has some growing pains along with Frost, I know the AD will be patient with him, as they should be, but if we don't see some changes this year in his coaching style and if we have a few losses this year with one loss like the Arizona loss last year, then I do think some fans will call for his head, and that alone may be enough for his seat to get even warmer.
Pretty much this. Helf and Frost were rookies themselves. Kelly wasn't perfect when he started getting manhandled by Boise St, then the game against Ohio St.....he is going to have some growing pains for realistically, the next year or two before we see what kind of coach he can be. I'm willing to wait.
True, but 4 BCS games and 3 12-win seasons in just 4 years. Kelly has set the bar high and if Helf isn't winning Pac-12 championships or going to BCS games (now playoffs), I could see the push to get him out of town. I don't think it would be justified, however, I could see people and potentially management freaking out if he doesn't make a splash in one of the next two years.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Hypothetically, if Mike Riley had played for a game winning field goal last year and won that game he had control of, I think the majority of Duck fans would say the "hire from within for continuity" was a horrible choice.

The Ducks had a loaded team, momentum, swag and a chance to hire a coach with an "A" list resume when Chip left. We could have gotten serious consideration from Gus for instance. Should the Ducks under perform this next year, then implode without Mariota, that window of being attractive to a top candidate may have passed us by. Hypothetically.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Bud Lee wrote:stay at 9 - 10 wins a year and I doubt there will be a hot seat anytime soon
Stewart Mandel thinks that Helfrich is going to follow the route that Les took replacing Nick. I think he's mostly right, albeit since this years team could end this talk by winning it all!
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think it's pretty telling that no one is sold on helfrich. I am not against him but I too worry about keeping up what chip built.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I think it's pretty telling that no one is sold on helfrich. I am not against him but I too worry about keeping up what chip built.
This year will give us a much better feel for who Helfrich really is.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

11 wins, a top 10 ranking and we are really having this hypothetical conversation? Our star QB was playing on one leg for the last half of the season and the team still won 11 games. Coaching had a lot to do with that. The games weren't pretty but they weren't always pretty under Chip either. Anyone remember the UCLA game in 2008? Perspective folks...get some. As a first time head coach, he lead a team to a top 10 finish. Was he perfect? Absolutely not but it was a hell of a first season and he is building off of it in recruiting this year.

As for the reference above about Gus Malzahn, if you really think he would have even entertained leaving the south then you must have found the right dispensary in Vancouver. He's a southerner through and through, a devoutly religious man who wears it on his sleeve. He would have fit as well in Eugene as I would playing starting QB for the Ducks. Outside of Chris Petersen, I don't know who else we would have gone after.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Duck24 wrote:11 wins, a top 10 ranking and we are really having this hypothetical conversation? Our star QB was playing on one leg for the last half of the season and the team still won 11 games. Coaching had a lot to do with that. The games weren't pretty but they weren't always pretty under Chip either. Anyone remember the UCLA game in 2008? Perspective folks...get some. As a first time head coach, he lead a team to a top 10 finish. Was he perfect? Absolutely not but it was a hell of a first season and he is building off of it in recruiting this year.

As for the reference above about Gus Malzahn, if you really think he would have even entertained leaving the south then you must have found the right dispensary in Vancouver. He's a southerner through and through, a devoutly religious man who wears it on his sleeve. He would have fit as well in Eugene as I would playing starting QB for the Ducks. Outside of Chris Petersen, I don't know who else we would have gone after.
Good well reasoned post. I don't mind Gus Malzahn but can you imagine her in Eugene, or dealing with Phil Knight? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHIQSFM0kAs
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

One important thing that I think gets left out in this conversation is how much better the pac12 is now than it was when Chip was here. The level of coaching has taken a huge step up, no longer is there just a couple good teams.

Helf is not the coach Chip is and with a higher level of competition within the conference, keeping the same level of expectation for the program is unrealistic.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:One important thing that I think gets left out in this conversation is how much better the pac12 is now than it was when Chip was here. The level of coaching has taken a huge step up, no longer is there just a couple good teams.

Helf is not the coach Chip is and with a higher level of competition within the conference, keeping the same level of expectation for the program is unrealistic.

In addition Chip had a almost unique offensive style for a defense to adapt to. Now virtually everybody (except Stanford) runs some variation and their defense practices and plays against a similar style every week.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Chip was almost GOD like. He made his share of blunders in calling plays and being bull headed. But he
is a maverick and one of a kind. We also gave him a chance to. Helfrich coming in behind him is
almost unfair. Everyone expects him to be just like Chip. He really has not changed things that much.
What were seeing tho in recruiting is a big change. He is going after players a lot earlier and going after
more and getting good results so far. Before we throw him under the speeding bus lets give him a chance.
With all the money invested in new facilities and staff if he does not contend in the pac-12 let alone the national
scene then the admin will take care of it I'm sure uncle Phil will have something to say about that.
Like someone said the pac-12 is much better now. Can't take a Saturday off and look past anybody in this
conference now.