Michigan State early discussion thread

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Michigan State early discussion thread

Post by DAT_man_again »

With all due respect to South Dakota, the Coyotes aren't exactly making me lose sleep, so I was thinking we could get the real discussion started a little early. I don't know about anyone else but I'm fairly terrified of the Spartans. I think Marcus will be able to move the ball against them, but my two major concerns are thus:

1. Red zone offense. We were pretty damn awful last year in the red zone. In fact it was pretty embarrassing. And MSU is exactly the type of team that excels at red zone defense.

2. Run defense. Obviously this is pretty much what took us out of national championship contention last year (along with Marcus's ligaments), and I'm not sure our linebackers and line are going to be performing at their peak in week two of the season. If MSU runs the ball at ease and drowns the clock, it's going to be difficult to win.

If we turn it over in the red zone and miss field goals, and if we can't shake a stick at MSU's run game, we will lose. I think the biggest key to this game is the big play. If we can get two or three long scoring plays, I think we will be solid.

Thoughts everyone?
"You know we the big brother." - Cliff Harris

"Y'all know what time it is." -Damian Lillard
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Michigan State early discussion thread

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think msu wants to and will play a very similar game to Stanford. They're replacing practically their whole defense though so I don't think they'll slow down the game as much as theyd like on both sides of the ball.

Watch out for their rb(Langford) to have a big day.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Solution to our redzone problems, score before you get to the red zone.

To me, it's all about pressuring Cook. We are at home. Autzen will be rowdy. I'm calling a defensive statement this game. Take the pressure off our offense and all onto Cook.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

DAT_man_again wrote:With all due respect to South Dakota, the Coyotes aren't exactly making me lose sleep, so I was thinking we could get the real discussion started a little early. I don't know about anyone else but I'm fairly terrified of the Spartans. I think Marcus will be able to move the ball against them, but my two major concerns are thus:

1. Red zone offense. We were pretty damn awful last year in the red zone. In fact it was pretty embarrassing. And MSU is exactly the type of team that excels at red zone defense.

2. Run defense. Obviously this is pretty much what took us out of national championship contention last year (along with Marcus's ligaments), and I'm not sure our linebackers and line are going to be performing at their peak in week two of the season. If MSU runs the ball at ease and drowns the clock, it's going to be difficult to win.

If we turn it over in the red zone and miss field goals, and if we can't shake a stick at MSU's run game, we will lose. I think the biggest key to this game is the big play. If we can get two or three long scoring plays, I think we will be solid.

Thoughts everyone?
My thoughts exactly. Our inability to score in the red zone last year was agonizing to watch.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
mm55
Four Star Recruit

Post by mm55 »

Last year is over.
MM in Cali
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Oh, and a healthy Mariota excites me.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Post by DAT_man_again »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Solution to our redzone problems, score before you get to the red zone.

To me, it's all about pressuring Cook. We are at home. Autzen will be rowdy. I'm calling a defensive statement this game. Take the pressure off our offense and all onto Cook.

I am pumped to see what DP brings to the table. It is exciting to me to see the weight gain on the defensive line.
"You know we the big brother." - Cliff Harris

"Y'all know what time it is." -Damian Lillard
DuckedonQuack
Two Star Recruit

Post by DuckedonQuack »

Say we put a beat down on south Dakota state, would you continue to play the starters the rest of the game so they can prepare more? Or would you take them out so you don't risk injury.
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

We will sit them for sure. If you ask our players they say practice is faster than the game, milking the clock for the second half won't help in prep more than breakneck practice would
DuckedonQuack
Two Star Recruit

Post by DuckedonQuack »

I just look back at that lsu game. We where not prepared and it showed. What if they don't milk the clock and keep the foot on the gas? I know it looks a little bad, but I think preparing for the msu game is crucial.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

37-17 Ducks. Spartans keep it close at halftime, 17-10, and we put their lights out in the 3rd. They graduated a good portion of that defense. Not worried at all.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

I'm excited to see what the extra beef all across the OL will do for our run game in the red zone. By the sounds of it, the extra weight is mostly muscle.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

DuckedonQuack wrote:I just look back at that lsu game. We where not prepared and it showed. What if they don't milk the clock and keep the foot on the gas? I know it looks a little bad, but I think preparing for the msu game is crucial.
That was also a season opener against a team in Dallas, not in the friendly confines of Autzen. A key factor for that MSU game won't be just how our starters play but how this years 2nd units step into their roles. Allowing more time for the less established players to get their feet wet and some good film outweighs whatever marginal benefits the starters would see from playing a full 60. Sparty plays a weak opponent the first week too and you can be sure they'll employ a similar 2nd half strategy.

An obvious key to the Duck O vs Spartan D will be the play our Tackles Johnstone and Fisher against DEnds Shilique Calhoun and Marcus Rush. I think we are better suited to go against smaller, faster DE's than bigger, stronger ends like Trent Murphy. Where I feel we've got a chance to win is inside with Grasu, Hunt and Stevens. Grasu was starting for the first time against that LSU defense and I've said it in the past, I always like an Oregon team with a SR center (Unger and Lucas being the last 2 to come to mind.)
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Solution to our redzone problems, score before you get to the red zone.

This. I think that this is key, as well as stopping the run, protecting Mariota and finishing drives. They have two returning DE's that could be a problem, so our O-line had better be ready.

Here's another Michigan State preview.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/2014/earl ... nstate.htm

It looks like they're really inexperienced on both lines. That may not matter, though, they may just reload and be formidable right out of the gate. On the other hand, if they struggle early it may be to our advantage.
John 3:36
lukeyrid13
All-American

Post by lukeyrid13 »

It'd be nice to have johnstone against their ends but do we actually expect him to be able to play or be at 100%?