GM: Boston Celtics GM

Ducks practice report - August 19th

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
gogreen55
Senior

Re: Ducks practice report - August 19th

Post by gogreen55 »

Video of Coach Cam discussing the running back situation...

duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Wow Freeman's in the running to start? That's big news at the end of coach Cambells interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DuckedonQuack
Two Star Recruit

Post by DuckedonQuack »

His comments make me think they will use Byron in a different way other than just at rb.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

DuckedonQuack wrote:His comments make me think they will use Byron in a different way other than just at rb.

Agreed I just don't see Byron as a Tazr guy. Will be interesting I can't wait.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

duckduckgoose wrote:Wow Freeman's in the running to start? That's big news at the end of coach Cambells interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like preseason coach speak. Not only that, if he did start, you risk Tyner transferring and that would be a HUGE loss. I think he is just saying "all the right things" to the media.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I'm not sure it was ever possible for Tyner to meet expectations coming out of high school, but I found this interview interesting. Campbell appears to be implying that Tyner didn't immediately adjust to the work ethic demands at the college level. His praise of Freeman also makes me wonder if Tyner isn't quite the world-beater that everyone expected. Oregon has made a living off of hungry, underrated players coming in and overachieving - I wonder if that isn't the formula for success, more so than getting all the five-star players like a USC or UCLA.

Edit: I guess Freeman was also a five-star player, but it didn't seem like he had as many accolades coming to the ducks as Tyner.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

I'm not saying the kid isn't good, but the coaching staff has already given high praise to a back up quarterback that we all saw struggle quite a bit in the spring game. This could be the same type of scenerio. Give the new kid praise to light a fire under the other players
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

some of you guys just love you some tyner. I watched that and thought WOW if Freeman is that good more power to him. If he jumps Marshall and Tyner this kid is good and gives Oregon a great chance at winning. Others say Tyner may transfer...Tyner is awesome I get that. But if he gets butthurt and wants to transfer cause someone is better than him...theres the door. I also find it amusing that Marshall is swept under the rug. He must not be any good at all. :roll:
cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Post by cmmadness »

Tyner rushed for 711 yards with a 6.2 YPG average. If he hadn't
missed the game against Nichols, he would have rusehd for significantly
more than that.

Conversely, LMJ rushed for 1546 yards but his YPG was 6.7
or very close to Tyner. Due to LGB's meltdown at Boise State,
LaMichael was thrust into the starting role immediately where Tyner
was not. In addition, Tyner played as a true freshman while LaMichael
red shirted and had more time to learn the system.

Obviously it's early but I don't see any evidence that Tyner will not meet
expectation. With a Senior laden O-Line and with a year absent of
injuries, I think we'll see a great year out of Tyner. Also, there's no reason
to believe he wants to transfer.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

duckfan96 wrote:some of you guys just love you some tyner. I watched that and thought WOW if Freeman is that good more power to him. If he jumps Marshall and Tyner this kid is good and gives Oregon a great chance at winning. Others say Tyner may transfer...Tyner is awesome I get that. But if he gets butthurt and wants to transfer cause someone is better than him...theres the door. I also find it amusing that Marshall is swept under the rug. He must not be any good at all. :roll:
Runningbacks get hurt all the time, which is why you want to be able to have a very deep bench. Your starter goes down, "next man up". So no, "theres the door" isn't a very good strategy for recruiting and retaining the players on your team. That is one of the keys to Sabans success. Alabama can easily go 3 deep on their bench and still maintain quality players.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Saban plays his best players. If freeman is better he should play, regardless of who or where that player in front of him is from. I like tyner but he isn't even the starter now, Marshall is, or was as of last year.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

QuackininBama wrote:
duckduckgoose wrote:Wow Freeman's in the running to start? That's big news at the end of coach Cambells interview.
Sounds like preseason coach speak. Not only that, if he did start, you risk Tyner transferring and that would be a HUGE loss. I think he is just saying "all the right things" to the media.
I got the coach speak angle too as it sounds like Byron is really #1, but I think Tyner possibly transferring is silly talk. For starters, its likely that Byron Marshall leaves after this season and with TT in his 2nd year, he'd be 1 year from being able to leave as well. But I suppose its been quite some time since the last "Tyner is going to transfer" talk; what was it last time? He was going to Corvallis to become a Beaver since his gf was there? lol.

Royce though sounds to be pushing guys for PT and the comments from the beginning of camp where GC said he was further ahead than TT was last year says to me that the guy has picked things up quickly and will push for reps. I've said I think we're going to see more Dual TE looks this year and with a stable of thoroughbreds in the backfield, it would make sense to see double RB looks added with it.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Duck07 wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:
I got the coach speak angle too as it sounds like Byron is really #1, but I think Tyner possibly transferring is silly talk. For starters, its likely that Byron Marshall leaves after this season and with TT in his 2nd year, he'd be 1 year from being able to leave as well. But I suppose its been quite some time since the last "Tyner is going to transfer" talk; what was it last time? He was going to Corvallis to become a Beaver since his gf was there? lol.

Royce though sounds to be pushing guys for PT and the comments from the beginning of camp where GC said he was further ahead than TT was last year says to me that the guy has picked things up quickly and will push for reps. I've said I think we're going to see more Dual TE looks this year and with a stable of thoroughbreds in the backfield, it would make sense to see double RB looks added with it.
Good points. Not to mention with such a young, inexperienced receiving corps, we are most likely going to see a gameplan similar to when we were rotating LMJ and Barner. We were running around a 65% clip LMJs last year here. Then last season we were throwing the ball more with young runningbacks. I look to see a more run heavy offense to keep the heat off the young guys.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Duck07 wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:

+1