Ducks practice report - August 19th

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Re: Ducks practice report - August 19th

Post by FlDuckFan »

duckfan96 wrote:Saban plays his best players. If freeman is better he should play, regardless of who or where that player in front of him is from. I like tyner but he isn't even the starter now, Marshall is, or was as of last year.
Any coach who is worth his weight would play the better player 9 times out of 10.
I'm more of a committee guy when it comes to running the ball. A 3 deep rotation is perfect especially since it's expected that Byron will step into a bit of the Tazr position anyway.
UofDuck
Senior

Ducks practice report - August 19th

Post by UofDuck »

I'm not sure why people think Byron is slow and wouldn't fit at Tazr. He was a Cali track guy and very fast. Don't remember his times, but they were legit. It might actually be a better fit for him.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I still have a hard time seeing Freeman starting over both Marshall and Tyner, two good RB's. However, Campbell knows what he's talking about and is a great coach, so if he says there's a chance, there is a chance. I do wonder though, a lot of people thought Tyner would start this year because of his potential, but it doesn't sound like he's been as dominant as people thought he would be. I can't help but think that his fumble issue may be hurting his chances at starting. Whatever the reason may be, I hope he figures it out and reaches his potential, because if he does, we'll have a great RB.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I still have a hard time seeing Freeman starting over both Marshall and Tyner, two good RB's. However, Campbell knows what he's talking about and is a great coach, so if he says there's a chance, there is a chance. I do wonder though, a lot of people thought Tyner would start this year because of his potential, but it doesn't sound like he's been as dominant as people thought he would be. I can't help but think that his fumble issue may be hurting his chances at starting. Whatever the reason may be, I hope he figures it out and reaches his potential, because if he does, we'll have a great RB.
Mark my words, Tyner will BLOW IT UP this year. I'll throw a guess at 1550yds 16tds.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

UofDuck wrote:I'm not sure why people think Byron is slow and wouldn't fit at Tazr. He was a Cali track guy and very fast. Don't remember his times, but they were legit. It might actually be a better fit for him.
This. If anything the cause of fans being underwhelmed with him was his struggles with running through contact and "moving the pile". He's big compared to guys like LaMike and DaT but he is most definitely not a "big" RB. And LaMike was just plain freakishly strong and powerful for his size. BM is quick, has good top end speed and has great hands for a RB, I think he would do well in a more split out, "tzr" type role.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

QuackininBama wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I still have a hard time seeing Freeman starting over both Marshall and Tyner, two good RB's. However, Campbell knows what he's talking about and is a great coach, so if he says there's a chance, there is a chance. I do wonder though, a lot of people thought Tyner would start this year because of his potential, but it doesn't sound like he's been as dominant as people thought he would be. I can't help but think that his fumble issue may be hurting his chances at starting. Whatever the reason may be, I hope he figures it out and reaches his potential, because if he does, we'll have a great RB.
Mark my words, Tyner will BLOW IT UP this year. I'll throw a guess at 1550yds 16tds.
Seriously. While I love what I hear about Freeman, I still think either Tyner or Marshall leads the team in rushing. Heck, who says we can't have two 1k backs?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
UofDuck wrote:I'm not sure why people think Byron is slow and wouldn't fit at Tazr. He was a Cali track guy and very fast. Don't remember his times, but they were legit. It might actually be a better fit for him.
This. If anything the cause of fans being underwhelmed with him was his struggles with running through contact and "moving the pile". He's big compared to guys like LaMike and DaT but he is most definitely not a "big" RB. And LaMike was just plain freakishly strong and powerful for his size. BM is quick, has good top end speed and has great hands for a RB, I think he would do well in a more split out, "tzr" type role.
Seriously. I'm sure there are a lot of college football coaches who would love to have a BM.