Oregon's first win of the 2013 season: Nicholls State

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Oregon's first win of the 2013 season: Nicholls State

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I did this last year and enjoyed it so I thought I'd do it again. From today until next Friday, I will post a video of each of Oregon's wins from the regular season, just to get pumped for the season to come. Next Saturday if I feel like it I may post Oregon's bowl win. I will include highlight videos and a video of the full game for the extra crazy fans.

Win #1 came against Nicholls State. Not much to see here, just a warmup game for Helf's first appearance as head coach and Frost's first appearance as Offensive Coordinator. Though despite realizing that this wouldn't be a game, there were expectations for a beating of a lifetime, perhaps from Oregon State's victory over Nicholls State the previous season by a score of 77-3. However, despite it being clear that Oregon was the far superior team, there was a mysterious lack of satisfaction from the fans regarding Oregon's performance. A few drives were stopped short due to failed 4th down conversations, but most fans seemed to realize that these stopped drives were a result of very vanilla playcalling. Regardless, Oregon cruised to an easy 66-3 win against an overmatched opponent.

Highlights included seeing a Sophomore Mariota and how much better he became. A Freshman Mariota was great as well, but as a Sophomore, he just looked more relaxed and in control of the offense, and his decision making was better. His throwing ability and speed made him very difficult to stop, and we knew that with him leading the offense, Oregon could accomplish great things.

This might have been a breakout game for Bralon Addison. On Oregon's second position, about 4 1/2 minutes into the 1st quarter, he got a pass from Mariota on the Nicholls State 10 yard line, and was in a 1 on 1 situation. But he made a move that juked the defender out of his shoes as he scored Oregon's second touchdown of the game.

Not a positive highlight, but it was interesting for us all to see the new targeting rule go into effect that caused Terrence Mitchell to be ejected. Interesting that this specific play has probably been replayed more than any other play in the entire game.

EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Re: Oregon's first win of the 2013 season: Nicholls State

Post by EncinitasDuck »

One of my favorite parts of that game was watching #3 on Nicholls State all pumped up and full of himself on our first possession and most of the second and then watching Addison just embarrass him on our 2nd TD. Classic. Almost as good as DAT on the WSU CB.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

Thanks for the recap, Oregon Fan. The YouTube links didn't work for me, though. Can't wait for the season to start!
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

BTW for anyone who posts youtube links, change "https://" to "http://". Annoying change in youtube that broke the tags here. I'll try to fix it this weekend.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

UOducksTK1 wrote:BTW for anyone who posts youtube links, change "https://" to "http://". Annoying change in youtube that broke the tags here. I'll try to fix it this weekend.
Thank you! I was wondering why it wasn't working.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I wish I didn't watch the highlights, makes me really miss Huff and Addison. While we certainly have the talent at WR, I'm a little worried if we will have play makers developed going into the MSU game.

RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

Just watched the whole game. DAT looked really good. I had forgotten how good he was when he was healthy and focused. Mariota's running game looked really, too. I woder how we would have done against Stanford if we had them at full strength and also Lyerla.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

RanDux wrote:Just watched the whole game. DAT looked really good. I had forgotten how good he was when he was healthy and focused. Mariota's running game looked really, too. I woder how we would have done against Stanford if we had them at full strength and also Lyerla.
But it was also against Nicholls State. I always wonder with DAT if it was really the injury that slowed him down last year, or was it just because we were playing against Nicholls State, Virginia, and Tennessee.

pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
RanDux wrote:Just watched the whole game. DAT looked really good. I had forgotten how good he was when he was healthy and focused. Mariota's running game looked really, too. I woder how we would have done against Stanford if we had them at full strength and also Lyerla.
But it was also against Nicholls State. I always wonder with DAT if it was really the injury that slowed him down last year, or was it just because we were playing against Nicholls State, Virginia, and Tennessee.
Judging by the pre-season so far, I'm gonna go with injury.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

True^

Next game!