What's up with BJ Kelley?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

What's up with BJ Kelley?

Post by EncinitasDuck »

I don't think I've read his name in a single practice report or article on fall camp. Anyone know if he's been hurt? Or is he the next Devon Blackmon? I had high hopes for his speed and size.
gogreen55
Senior

Re: What's up with BJ Kelley?

Post by gogreen55 »

EncinitasDuck wrote:I don't think I've read his name in a single practice report or article on fall camp. Anyone know if he's been hurt? Or is he the next Devon Blackmon? I had high hopes for his speed and size.
Yeah, when the Ducks signed BJ, I thought he had the potential to become a Markus Wheaton type player for the Ducks. I don't think his physical talent is holding him back, it is more an issue of his toughness and complete, 100% dedication to refining his craft.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Rob mentioned that he's been working on the kick return teams. Could see him being a weapon there.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I was predicting him to have a breakout year, he has been practicing with the ones and twos I've heard, we'll see what happens with him.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I was predicting him to have a breakout year, he has been practicing with the ones and twos I've heard, we'll see what happens with him.
That was my hope, that Rob was not saying his name as we want to save him from Mich State's eye.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

I will be pleasantly surprised if he plays a significant role for the Ducks in games this season.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

I've heard he has a case of the drops.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Maybe he's just not as good as people thought. Recruiting expectations are meaningless, sometimes guys get to the college level and they simply aren't good enough. Some guys take longer to develop and some simply never do.
mm55
Four Star Recruit

Post by mm55 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Maybe he's just not as good as people thought. Recruiting expectations are meaningless, sometimes guys get to the college level and they simply aren't good enough. Some guys take longer to develop and some simply never do.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I think BJ is just not all that dedicated to football. He likes the image of being a DUCK football player but I get the impression he does not put in the work. If you remember during spring ball Helfrich or Lubick was asked about him and replied 'that's the million dollar question'. that was a pretty clear comment that BJ needs to get his act together.

He seems like a nice kid but appears to me like spending time on video games, social media and his dance moves are more where his interests lie. Hope he surprises us all because it seems like he has all the skills to be good just needs to get his head on right.
MM in Cali
duckfbfan15
Three Star Recruit

Post by duckfbfan15 »

I've come to the conclusion that Bj Kelley is never going to contribute to this team. He is working with the 3rd and 4th stringers. I hear more about Austin Daich and Jeff Bieber in practice reports than Bj Kelley. The kid seems like a nice guy and to no fault of his own has been one of the most overly hyped players by fans on social media. I think the post above me nailed it, He likes the image of being on the team and that's about it. I don't think he is ever going to play a meaningful snap for this team in his career.

GO HARD, GO OREGON, GO DUCKS!
DAT#6
Four Star Recruit

Post by DAT#6 »

I just hope that he can graduate after this season, and release the scholarship to someone who will be better suited to contribute to the team, on the field.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

DAT#6 wrote:I just hope that he can graduate after this season, and release the scholarship to someone who will be better suited to contribute to the team, on the field.
Someone that doesn't work hard on the field is going to graduate ahead of others? Hmmm. I highly doubt it. Work ethic typically applies to everything you do.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Wow guys, just wow.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Wow is right....
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

Yeah, there's a ton of speculation here without much to base it on. Though to be fair the Ducks bring some of this on themselves because they are so tight lipped. But I would refrain from throwing him under the bus without more info.

Mosely had said his reports focus more on newcomers than veterans. Hell if Robs reports are what you go by, you might think Lockie was going to be the starter. I've seen his name more than Marcus.