What's up with BJ Kelley?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: What's up with BJ Kelley?

Post by Phenom »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Maybe he's just not as good as people thought. Recruiting expectations are meaningless, sometimes guys get to the college level and they simply aren't good enough. Some guys take longer to develop and some simply never do.
He was not highly regarded to begin with. He was a 3* and was offered late in the process.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Phenom wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:Maybe he's just not as good as people thought. Recruiting expectations are meaningless, sometimes guys get to the college level and they simply aren't good enough. Some guys take longer to develop and some simply never do.
He was not highly regarded to begin with. He was a 3* and was offered late in the process.
Exactly. I don't understand where all the expectations are even coming from. Which is why I think there's a chance that he simply isn't as talented as some people think he is.
cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Post by cmmadness »

As I recall he desperately wanted to come to Oregon and jumped at
the offer the second he got it. Lots of times those are the guys that
overachieve. I guess I was expecting that of him but for some reason
it hasn't worked out that way. I believe he is a redshirt Junior so he
still has some time.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

mm55 wrote:
I think you hit the nail on the head. I think BJ is just not all that dedicated to football. He likes the image of being a DUCK football player but I get the impression he does not put in the work. If you remember during spring ball Helfrich or Lubick was asked about him and replied 'that's the million dollar question'. that was a pretty clear comment that BJ needs to get his act together.

He seems like a nice kid but appears to me like spending time on video games, social media and his dance moves are more where his interests lie. Hope he surprises us all because it seems like he has all the skills to be good just needs to get his head on right.

ahh yes classic...
JustisM
Three Star Recruit

Post by JustisM »

For what it's worth, it sounded like he was going to be one of the 100+ underclassmen that was going to declare for the draft last season, but someone talked him out of it.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

JustisM wrote:For what it's worth, it sounded like he was going to be one of the 100+ underclassmen that was going to declare for the draft last season, but someone talked him out of it.
That cant be right? He barely played and didn't he catch more passes as a freshman??
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

Phenom wrote:
He was also part of the 'best WR class in school history!' with Blackmon and Sumler (both washing out)...Give BJ credit for not washing out at least! There was so much anticipation with those three, that once the other two left, people transferred all of that hope to BJ...thats my take.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
mm55
Four Star Recruit

Post by mm55 »

Thank God he was talked out of it. See Lewis, Javes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MM in Cali
JustisM
Three Star Recruit

Post by JustisM »

bigsugarduck wrote:
JustisM wrote:For what it's worth, it sounded like he was going to be one of the 100+ underclassmen that was going to declare for the draft last season, but someone talked him out of it.
That cant be right? He barely played and didn't he catch more passes as a freshman??
This kinda thing still happens. 39 underclassmen declared and went undrafted last year, IIRC.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Phenom wrote:

Not only that, but we didn't even offer him util late in the process. He was plan c.
Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Post by Oregonian »

It's a little discomforting that any time a player for this team isn't playing up to some sort of perceived potential that members of this forum suddenly decide that they have character or "focus" issues, usually without any sources whatsoever.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Oregonian wrote:It's a little discomforting that any time a player for this team isn't playing up to some sort of perceived potential that members of this forum suddenly decide that they have character or "focus" issues, usually without any sources whatsoever.
Coaches have said it publically.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Phenom wrote:Coaches have said it publically.
Yeah, apparently people don't follow what the coaches say since there are a lot of really clueless comments in this thread. The fact the Ducks offered Kelley late in cycle , and the fact he was a 3 star recruit on some websites, is completely meaningless. They offered Devon Allen late also. Heck, they weren't even going to offer him at all until Chip left. Kelley was higher rated than Markus Wheaton as a recruit on some websites, etc. None of that matters. The bottom line is Kelley's talent/potential isn't really even a question amongst those in the program...the coaches have said numerous times during his time here that he has as much potential as any receiver on the roster. He hasn't lived up to his potential for the usual reasons some players don't...there is nothing physically that is holding him back.

Much like Rahsaan Vaughn, who never lived up to his potential with the Ducks, I wouldn't be surprised if B.J. never makes a significant impact at Oregon, yet still gets a look in the NFL. He has the combination of size, speed and athleticism that will at least get him a look in some NFL training camp.
Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Post by Oregonian »

Phenom wrote:
Oregonian wrote:It's a little discomforting that any time a player for this team isn't playing up to some sort of perceived potential that members of this forum suddenly decide that they have character or "focus" issues, usually without any sources whatsoever.
Coaches have said it publically.
Alright then, source that to me.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Oregonian wrote:Alright then, source that to me.
Here is one example from last year. Scott Frost talks about BJ's potential and how he came to Oregon immature and had a lot of growing to do. Frost said BJ was starting to get there. Fast forward to this year and it is apparent BJ still hasn't completely climbed the mountain.
In catching up with former receivers coach and current offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Scott Frost, he believes the change in Kelley's on-field performance has much do to with an improvement in the Fresno, Calif. native's overall maturity level.

"B.J. came in and had a lot of growing up to do, and he's come a long way," said Frost. "He's got a skill-set that not a lot of guys have with his speed and his ability to move downfield. If we can dial him in and continue to tighten everything up with him, he's got a chance to be a playmaker for us.

"Some kids come in and are physically, mentally and emotionally ready to play and with others, it takes one or two years. And there's nothing wrong with that. A lot of the best players we've had around here have redshirted – LaMichael (James) redshirted – so there's nothing to be ashamed of not being ready your first year. With B.J. it just took a little longer, but he's starting to get there."
http://oregon.247sports.com/Page/100018 ... ing-126103