Undefeated

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UofDuck
Senior

Re: Undefeated

Post by UofDuck »

Greenblood wrote:While I can't imagine ever actually predicting an undefeated season for the Ducks, there are a couple of scheduling things that just might help the Ducks slightly. 1) The Ducks have an extra couple of days of preparation before the game at UCLA compared to the Bruins due to the Ducks' having their conference home opener Thu. night, Oct. 2, vs. Arizona; and 2) they have one extra day before they host Stanford because of that Friday night game vs. Cal at Levi's Stadium.
Great points.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I think we have the ability to go undefeated and I will probably pick Oregon in every game... unless we get hit by some major injuries. Going undefeated though is extremely difficult in the Pac 12. Over the last 15 years only two teams have done it in the Pac 12. Oregon and USC. So that alone should tell us that it is not likely. It takes a lot of luck and not having significant injuries or if do have guys stepping up. We have already lost a receiver and an offensive lineman.

What does Oregon need to do to go undefeated... beyond having a lot of luck and some bounces go our way, I think we need to improve our run defense which was horrific during the month of November last year. Oregon State was able to find a running game against us when had struggled all year running the ball. We need to improve our red zone efficiency and also need to improve our play calling. I think we can do all of those. It will take all of that. It will also take a lot of focus on the teams part. Hopefully will be no comments made about how we should rush for 200 yards against Stanford til after the game or how the Rose Bowl is not that big of deal.
cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Post by cmmadness »

What does Oregon need to do to go undefeated... beyond having a lot of luck and some bounces go our way, I think we need to improve our run defense which was horrific during the month of November last year. Oregon State was able to find a running game against us when had struggled all year running the ball. We need to improve our red zone efficiency and also need to improve our play calling. I think we can do all of those. It will take all of that. It will also take a lot of focus on the teams part. Hopefully will be no comments made about how we should rush for 200 yards against Stanford til after the game or how the Rose Bowl is not that big of deal.[/quote]

Agreed on all the above, specifically the need for the bounce of the ball to go our way. In 2010 we were down substantially to Stanford when (I believe in the 2nd quarter) Oregon successfully recovered an onside kick. If Stanford recovers that ball, I think we lose that game.

In 2010 we came dangerously close to losing to CAL. A blown field goal attempt on their part aided in our victory. Conversely, against Arizona last year, that bizarre--out of bounds--tip it back in bounds--interception--lengthy return--really aided in changing the momentum. Oregon was driving down the field fairly easily on that drive. We score and the game likely has a different trajectory and possibly a different outcome.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

http://vimeo.com/18398834
You guys talkin bout this game? :mrgreen:
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

The main problem for me on the whole idea of going unbeaten this season is simply that it's SO Mariota-centric. It's like it virtually all depends on keeping MM healthy.

I assume we all remember only too well the 2007 season. Once the Ducks got clicking, it really didn't seem to matter who was getting injured, whether it was another WR, a linebacker, or JJ (, etc.?); the Ducks just kept on -- and almost assuredly would continue to keep -- rolling as long as DD was at the helm. And I got the impression that even a lot of non-Duck fans and commentators could see that too.

As long as MM truly remains healthy, I do think the Ducks have as good a shot as almost any team of at least getting to the playoffs.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Greenblood wrote:The main problem for me on the whole idea of going unbeaten this season is simply that it's SO Mariota-centric. It's like it virtually all depends on keeping MM healthy.

I assume we all remember only too well the 2007 season. Once the Ducks got clicking, it really didn't seem to matter who was getting injured, whether it was another WR, a linebacker, or JJ (, etc.?); the Ducks just kept on -- and almost assuredly would continue to keep -- rolling as long as DD was at the helm. And I got the impression that even a lot of non-Duck fans and commentators could see that too.

As long as MM truly remains healthy, I do think the Ducks have as good a shot as almost any team of at least getting to the playoffs.
Yea, but that is true of every team. Braxton Miller goes down and ostensibly so do their playoff hopes. If Bryce Petty goes down, so does Baylor's hopes. Even those defensive minded teams in the past like LSU and Alabama wouldn't have made it all the way if their QB had gone down. Heck, who knows how Texas-Alabama goes if McCoy doesn't leave that game.

I'm actually feeling really good about Marcus' chances to stay healthy this year though I suppose there isn't anything tangible to point at beyond coming back stronger this year from last years injury.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

Duck07 wrote:
Greenblood wrote:The main problem for me on the whole idea of going unbeaten this season is simply that it's SO Mariota-centric. It's like it virtually all depends on keeping MM healthy.

Yea, but that is true of every team. Braxton Miller goes down and ostensibly so do their playoff hopes. If Bryce Petty goes down, so does Baylor's hopes. Even those defensive minded teams in the past like LSU and Alabama wouldn't have made it all the way if their QB had gone down. Heck, who knows how Texas-Alabama goes if McCoy doesn't leave that game.

I'm actually feeling really good about Marcus' chances to stay healthy this year though I suppose there isn't anything tangible to point at beyond coming back stronger this year from last years injury.
I disagree with that somewhat. I think Greenblood is alluding to the level of sheer dominance that certain teams achieve based upon the play of one player in a particular scheme. Or put another way, the celling with or without a player is uncharacteristically wide. I'm not sure if LSU and Alabama's ceiling would have changed much with the loss of their QBs, and hell, Braxton Millers backup last year was playing at least as well as him....
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
mm55
Four Star Recruit

Post by mm55 »

After this defensive performance I think re calibrating expectations is very important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MM in Cali
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

mm55 wrote:After this defensive performance I think re calibrating expectations is very important.

I think keeping this game in perspective is very important. If anyone changes their expectations for this season after this game they've gotta chill out.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

This is the same defense that last year we all were sure was going undefeated if it wasn't for Mariota's knee injury. And If anything they're going to be better this year. Think maybe there's a chance they're running as vanilla as a D as possible so they leave MSU guessing as to how we'll attack them? Don't let logic get in the way of opening game panic though.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:This is the same defense that last year we all were sure was going undefeated if it wasn't for Mariota's knee injury. And If anything they're going to be better this year. Think maybe there's a chance they're running as vanilla as a D as possible so they leave MSU guessing as to how we'll attack them? Don't let logic get in the way of opening game panic though.
For me, it wasn't the scheme, it was the missed tackles and poor pursuit by the LB's that bothered me. Plus the penalties didn't help.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

bigsugarduck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

I disagree with that somewhat. I think Greenblood is alluding to the level of sheer dominance that certain teams achieve based upon the play of one player in a particular scheme. Or put another way, the celling with or without a player is uncharacteristically wide. I'm not sure if LSU and Alabama's ceiling would have changed much with the loss of their QBs, and hell, Braxton Millers backup last year was playing at least as well as him....
Think of Nate Costa in 2007. According to a number of accounta of people witnessing the practices that year, as good as Dixon was that season, Costa was so good that it sounds as if there would likely have been virtually no dropoff had a healthy Costa had to replace an injured DD. But unfortunately, Costa went down in practice before Dixon got injured. I think quite possibly we win the same number of games had Bennett had to step in for DT in 2011 and MM in 2012, respectively, for a decent number of games.

In other words, I don't regard it as by any means impossible to have a good enough backup QB to keep the Ducks in contention for their goals in any given year -- though unfortunately it doesn't look like this is one of those years.
DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Post by DAT_man_again »

mm55 wrote:After this defensive performance I think re calibrating expectations is very important.

If you don't win 70-0 at Oregon you have fallen short of expectations.
"You know we the big brother." - Cliff Harris

"Y'all know what time it is." -Damian Lillard
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

DAT_man_again wrote:

If you don't win 70-0 at Oregon you have fallen short of expectations.
Based on the end of last season and last nights game, it's perfectly fair to be concerned about the defense.
mm55
Four Star Recruit

Post by mm55 »

Spot on WldDuck. It looked like the OSU and Stanford games all over again. I get they were playing a very basic defense so as to not show MSU anything BUT that does not mean the LBs such as Hardrick and Malone should be out of position and not be able to shed blocks. Things are going to need to improve very quickly or it will be a llong day

MM in Cali