How Much Improvement Has Jeff Lockie Shown?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Re: How Much Improvement Has Jeff Lockie Shown?

Post by cmmadness »

Phenom wrote:Lockie's decent. He would be one of our worst starters in recent history if he would play. If there's a comparison...I would say Roper. Game managers, which isn't a bad thing. 9-10 win seasons max.
Lockie is very much a work in progress. I respectfully disagree with the Justin Roper comparison though. Lockie has a decent arm
and was often accurate in his throws last night. He's far more mobile than Roper was, and he's less likely to get blown over
by a stiff breeze and end of on the injured list.

The drop off from Mariota to Lockie is almost frightening, but Lockie has a far greater upside than Roper, and the kid is still just
a Sophomore. Having said that, I agree-----9 wins would be a good outcome if Marcus were to go down.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

cmmadness wrote:
Phenom wrote:Lockie's decent. He would be one of our worst starters in recent history if he would play. If there's a comparison...I would say Roper. Game managers, which isn't a bad thing. 9-10 win seasons max.
Lockie is very much a work in progress. I respectfully disagree with the Justin Roper comparison though. Lockie has a decent arm
and was often accurate in his throws last night. He's far more mobile than Roper was, and he's less likely to get blown over

The drop off from Mariota to Lockie is almost frightening, but Lockie has a far greater upside than Roper, and the kid is still just
a Sophomore. Having said that, I agree-----9 wins would be a good outcome if Marcus were to go down.
Dude, Roper was stud in the Sun Bowl...i actually wanted him to start over Masoli the following year...whoops.
cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Post by cmmadness »

Phenom wrote:
cmmadness wrote:

Dude, Roper was stud in the Sun Bowl...i actually wanted him to start over Masoli the following year...whoops.
That was one game. Jonathan Stewart rushed for over 250 yards that day and South Florida was overrated,
something that Duck fans almost universally agreed on after the game. The previous week we lost to Oregon State at home,
something that has only happened once in about 20 years.

I was simply making a distinction between the two players. It's not personal, and I used the word "respectfully" for a reason. :)
OreDucks01284
Senior

Post by OreDucks01284 »

To me, I see Jeff Lockie a type of player that will play it safe, and he is not explosive player like mariota. All he has to do is make play to put ball in playmaker's hands and avoid turnovers. ill be ok with that.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Man, that's a pretty harsh comparison. Roper was pretty bad, he couldn't even become a starter at Montana st or Montana, whichever one it was. To me Lockie plays a lot like costa.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

cmmadness wrote:

The drop off from Marcus to 99% of the QB's starting at D1 schools is frightening if you really want to get down to it. Outside of a Hundley, Winston and maybe Petty, how many QB's would you say are even in the same league as Marcus? I'll take 11-12 with over 100 yards and 1 TD against anyone in one half of work. He was in control of the offense and looked way better than any other spring game or actual game actual he's seen previously.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Duck24 wrote:
cmmadness wrote:

The drop off from Marcus to 99% of the QB's starting at D1 schools is frightening if you really want to get down to it. Outside of a Hundley, Winston and maybe Petty, how many QB's would you say are even in the same league as Marcus?
That's a fact. Marcus is a once in a generation QB, although I think that Dennis Dixon could have put up similar numbers if he'd been coached by Chip, Helf and Frost for the same duration. There are very few QB's in the country that are even in the same conversation as Mariota, so of course there'll be a drop in talent at the position when he leaves. Sidenote: He hasn't guaranteed that he'll leave next year either.

Lockie will be a redshirt junior next year and "should" have a complete grasp of the offense. He'll lose a couple, maybe three, offensive lineman, but the Ducks will once again be loaded at the skill positions. The offense will still be scary good.

Moseley and Andy Mcnamara were discussing this on the weekly review at GoDucks.com last week. They said that even if we do lose Marcus next year, the roster is still loaded at nearly every other position.

We may take a step back for one season while the new QB gets settled into the role and the current freshman and redshirt freshman mature, but the Ducks are loaded nearly across the board. They're built for the long term, so as much as it will hurt for guys like Mariota, Grasu, Fisher and Ifo to graduate, we'll be fine.

Even former Washington Husky Brock Huard said the Ducks are set-up to be a top-15 team for many years after his visit to the new facilities.

No worries, guys. 8-)
John 3:36
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

At this point, I'm as confident as could be in a backup QB. Lockie looked solid on Saturday, much more polished than even Bryan Bennett. His passes had nice touch, and he even threw nicely on the move.

This team is absolutely loaded with talent on offense. A game manager is all we need to content for the Pac-12 title, and that always must be the first step before seriously considering a Natty.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Post by cmmadness »

Duck24 wrote:
cmmadness wrote:

The drop off from Marcus to 99% of the QB's starting at D1 schools is frightening if you really want to get down to it. Outside of a Hundley, Winston and maybe Petty, how many QB's would you say are even in the same league as Marcus? I'll take 11-12 with over 100 yards and 1 TD against anyone in one half of work. He was in control of the offense and looked way better than any other spring game or actual game actual he's seen previously.

None---and I'm not completely sold on Hundley. I don't see that Marcus has a single downside. He's as acurate as any quarterback I can think of recently. He's just as elusive and his sheer speed when he gets into the open field is almost unrivaled.

More to the point, and I know this is a bit of a cliche, but Marcus has a "high football IQ" and he seems to be above reproach off the field. Winston vs Marcus?????? An easy choice in my opinion.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Ahhh...but if you are stealing crab legs who would you choose?.......oh wait Winston got caught in that too....:)
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Pretty astonishing to think that Jeff Lockie could somehow look better this year than last year. I wonder if he could possibly be an even better QB by next year?
Wildcat-Duck
One Star Recruit

Post by Wildcat-Duck »

I thought Lockie looked much better than last year.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Duck07 wrote:Pretty astonishing to think that Jeff Lockie could somehow look better this year than last year. I wonder if he could possibly be an even better QB by next year?
My seats were in the end zone with the jumbotron. The only thing I could see that Lockie was messing up, was he had WIDE open receivers two or three times deep over the middle and decided on the safe throw to the flat. I wanted to watch the game on the DVR to see who the receiver was. I'm pretty sure it was the same guy at least two of the times. Other than that the guy looked pretty competent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk