Helf or Peterson or Mora - Pick em. For entertainment only.

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Make your choice

Helf
83%
Peterson
14%
Mora
3%

Total votes: 35
UofDuck
Senior

Helf or Peterson or Mora - Pick em. For entertainment only.

Post by UofDuck »

Three fairly new Pac 12 coaches with different backgrounds. Which would be your choice and why? I like Helf because I think he is a long term play at Oregon. That being said, Peterson has the track record (in small ball), and Mora seems to be the new cool kid (but I think he goes back to the NFL)
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Helf or Peterson or Mora - Pick em. For entertainment on

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Helf's ties at Oregon automatically make him a top choice. Mora, like you said, would probably walk for more money.

Peterson could be a great hire, but I want to see what he does in a few seasons against Pac-12 quality of talent every weekend.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I'll admit that Mora has been a real revelation of sorts in Westwood as I didn't think he had A-the chops for recruiting or B-anything more than an ability to be an assistant-level coach.

I think Peterson is a great coach and I lament the fact that he is in Seattle. It may not be this year but he'll win big (to our chagrin) and make the rivalry very competitive again before we'd like to.

Yet I think too much is made of our two losses and the dour look at the season misses what was a great year for a "learning" year for a first-time HC. As we get into year 2 I believe we'll start to see more from Helfrich as he really grows into the position and shows his offensive acumen. Sadly, too much offensive success/ingenuity is only seen as a by-product of Chip rather than of what he also helped build while OC.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

Duck07 wrote:I'll admit that Mora has been a real revelation of sorts in Westwood as I didn't think he had A-the chops for recruiting or B-anything more than an ability to be an assistant-level coach.

I think Peterson is a great coach and I lament the fact that he is in Seattle. It may not be this year but he'll win big (to our chagrin) and make the rivalry very competitive again before we'd like to.

Yet I think too much is made of our two losses and the dour look at the season misses what was a great year for a "learning" year for a first-time HC. As we get into year 2 I believe we'll start to see more from Helfrich as he really grows into the position and shows his offensive acumen. Sadly, too much offensive success/ingenuity is only seen as a by-product of Chip rather than of what he also helped build while OC.
I'm not that impressed with Mora, yet. The weasel already had good players in the program (and besides UCLA is never not-talented). Weasel actually had some bad luck when it came to QBs and injuries and it led to his downfall as much as anything. All it takes is one really good QB (Hundley) for a coach to gain credibility, even if the coach didn't recruit him, or initiate his development (Hundley redshirt year under Weasel).

With Helfrich, at least you can argue that he recruited and spurred Mariota's development, only later inheriting him as a head coach.

Peterson? I'm in the camp who solidly wants to see him in a major confrence before his reputation as a top 5 coach is remotely validated.

Sooo....Helfrich for me I suppose...
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

King of duck, want to educate people on what our AD thought of coach Pete?
mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Post by mrpd21 »

LOL!

Honestly this is the last thing I want to thing about on the opening gameday of the season...
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

mrpd21 wrote:LOL!

Honestly this is the last thing I want to thing about on the opening gameday of the season...
was first posted the day before game day to burn some time.