Ucla barely gets by with a win.

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DuckedonQuack
Two Star Recruit

Ucla barely gets by with a win.

Post by DuckedonQuack »

The final score was 28-20 Ucla. The offense only scored one touchdown. Virginia was constantly harassing Brett and sacked him a few times as well. I know its the first game, but the Ucla game might not be as much of a challenge as we thought it would be.
DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Re: Ucla barely gets by with a win.

Post by DAT_man_again »

DuckedonQuack wrote:The final score was 28-20 Ucla. The offense only scored one touchdown. Virginia was constantly harassing Brett and sacked him a few times as well. I know its the first game, but the Ucla game might not be as much of a challenge as we thought it would be.
They have a lot of time to improve. Do you remember 2009 when we lost to Boise and it took double OT to beat an awful Purdue squad? And then we went on to beat 6th ranked Cal 42-3 two weeks later. All of their struggles seemed to be due to miscommunication among the offensive line. That can be fixed. UCLA will get better.
"You know we the big brother." - Cliff Harris

"Y'all know what time it is." -Damian Lillard
DuckedonQuack
Two Star Recruit

Post by DuckedonQuack »

I also noticed a lot of dropped balls, and absolutely no run game other than Brett scrambling.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

We all thought we would walk all over Arizona last year as well....
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

lukeyrid13 wrote:We all thought we would walk all over Arizona last year as well....
^ +1000
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Thread already started in The Other Guys.....
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I think they should be concerned about the OLine. Yes Oregon improved in 09, but with that OLine, they were unable to beat elite teams. We saw what big teams like Stanford and Ohio State did, and we barely beat Oregon State. The fact is, this UCLA team is not a national championship contender, because they do not have the personnel to be. They lost the battle in the trenches against Virginia, that is a very worrying sign for them. They got very lucky to win today.
DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Post by DAT_man_again »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I think they should be concerned about the OLine. Yes Oregon improved in 09, but with that OLine, they were unable to beat elite teams. We saw what big teams like Stanford and Ohio State did, and we barely beat Oregon State. The fact is, this UCLA team is not a national championship contender, because they do not have the personnel to be. They lost the battle in the trenches against Virginia, that is a very worrying sign for them. They got very lucky to win today.

One game, and they were missing their best player on the offensive line, and the most important position (center.)

mm55
Four Star Recruit

Post by mm55 »

Do they get them back anytime soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MM in Cali
DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Post by DAT_man_again »

mm55 wrote:Do they get them back anytime soon?

I think I phrased it wrong but I meant they are missing their best player who also plays the most important position. And yes he could play by next week. Ankle sprain.

Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Post by Oregonian »

I'd liken this UCLA team to where we were in the 2007-10... They win the majority of the games that they need to, but really haven't notched the types of victories that justify the type of preseason acclaim they're getting at this point. Under Mora, UCLA has beat just one team to finish a season with 10 wins (Nebraska in 2012), and just two teams that have finished ranked in either the AP or Coaches polls (Nebraska in the AP in 2012 and in the Coaches in 2013).

That's not to say that they're not capable of getting over that hump this year, but the track record is far more middling than their hype would suggest. I think if this team were performing the same way over more than two years the national conversation could easily start sounding like the type of stuff we hear about Oregon right now.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I don't think this makes UCLA any less of an opponent for Oregon.

However, it gave me a good laugh to see the result of this game given all the National Championship / Pac-12 Championship hype they were getting. Back down to earth.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
mm55
Four Star Recruit

Post by mm55 »

AgreeTK- will be interesting to see if the Hundley love continues. He's good don't misunderstand me but not sold yet. I may be whistling a different tune come October 11th

MM in Cali