Linebackers

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

vagusnerve
Freshman

Linebackers

Post by vagusnerve »

Any one here know what is going on there? :?
Duck07
All-American

Re: Linebackers

Post by Duck07 »

Outside of Derrick Malone's play, I really didn't see anything to be too bothered by and I'm hopeful for DM's sake that some of those missed tackles are due to being rusty and over-excited for the season to start. Practices aren't like they used to be and teams don't do much live hitting and certainly not anything close to game situations like last night. I would actually like to see us scrimmage a team like PSU in Training Camp and pay them a small fee because I think that was the biggest issue more than anything else - rusty on tackling. By the way, this is also a major criticism of the Eagles Defense the last two training camps/preseason because the tackling is very sloppy early on.

As far as the positives, Prevot reminded me at times last night of BoLo when he was playing at his best. If he can start to be more consistent as the year goes on he could really stick out.

Might as well talk about Jimmie Swain and the one play I clearly remember of his was making a solid form tackle by himself on a running play in the middle.

Washington and French looked good from what I saw but need to work on breaking down when they are in their rush. I think we left quite a few sacks off the stat line simply because we had guys going too fast.

I don't think Ragin is going to be the answer at ILB this year as he needs to bulk up but he looked natural in coverage from what I saw and was fast coming up on the run.

Hardrick and Walker didn't really stand out at all to me and I don't recall seeing Mattingly on the field.

If you're inclined to feel down about the LB's this year based off this game and the coming one against Sparty, just feel better knowing that the Spartan fans don't necessarily feel too good about their OL right now as well.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I don't understand football near as well as others, but from what I saw, I thought the run defense was bad because of the poor play of the LB's. It seemed that there were constantly missed assignments as well which caused the RB to be open a lot when he probably should not have been open. I thought the starting DLine was well, especially Armstrad. But with the sloppy play by the LB's, especially from Malone who was missing tackles and getting pushed around, I lack confidence in Oregon's ability to beat MSU.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I don't understand football near as well as others, but from what I saw, I thought the run defense was bad because of the poor play of the LB's. It seemed that there were constantly missed assignments as well which caused the RB to be open a lot when he probably should not have been open. I thought the starting DLine was well, especially Armstrad. But with the sloppy play by the LB's, especially from Malone who was missing tackles and getting pushed around, I lack confidence in Oregon's ability to beat MSU.
Yeah the run defense was surprisingly sloppy. South Dakota was close to getting 200 rushing yards, and the majority of that wasn't in junk time either. I'd have to watch the game again to see exactly why, but that was probably the most concerning thing from yesterday.

But at the same time, Oregon's offense looked good. WRs caught the ball, all 3 running backs are as good as advertised. I love how we used Byron Marshall. That Michigan State game will be an excellent matchup. I hope Oregon's D steps it up though.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Duck07 wrote:Outside of Derrick Malone's play, I really didn't see anything to be too bothered by and I'm hopeful for DM's sake that some of those missed tackles are due to being rusty and over-excited for the season to start. Practices aren't like they used to be and teams don't do much live hitting and certainly not anything close to game situations like last night. I would actually like to see us scrimmage a team like PSU in Training Camp and pay them a small fee because I think that was the biggest issue more than anything else - rusty on tackling. By the way, this is also a major criticism of the Eagles Defense the last two training camps/preseason because the tackling is very sloppy early on.
Don Pellum basically said the same thing. From the RG...It was a first game, so some sloppy tackling. We haven’t gone full speed since our last scrimmage and some guys haven’t gone full speed since the scrimmage before that because we had a lot of guys out. Some of that is to be expected, but obviously we’d like it to be better.”
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I've rewatches the game, and honestly outside of Malone, I really think the D didn't play that bad. The DL got good push, we just need our inside guys to fill the gaps like it's designed, and if that's not something 22 and 48 can figure out, play someone who can. Because if those 2 inside spots can be shored up, this team can accomplish some great things.
odux
Three Star Recruit

Post by odux »

not real sure about all this love for Malone. He probably led the Ducks in missed tackles. He took some pretty terrible angles to the ball carrier.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I re-watched the game and I feel a little bit better about things. I don't think we blitzed at all the whole game. Once we allow guys like: Washington, Prevot, Coleman etc more freedom and throw some more looks out there I think we will be a bit better.

That said, there were a lot of missed tackles and poor pursuit angles. Malone was the worst offender.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I re-watched the game and I feel a little bit better about things. I don't think we blitzed at all the whole game. Once we allow guys like: Washington, Prevot, Coleman etc more freedom and throw some more looks out there I think we will be a bit better.

That said, there were a lot of missed tackles and poor pursuit angles. Malone was the worst offender.
No, we did and throughout the game and not just at the end.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

We only brought serious heat though for like one drive in the third quarter, and when we did, South Dakota couldn't do crap to move the ball.

Basically, extremely vanilla schemes and an off night from Derrick Malone.

It's way too early to worry about the D. On the same note, it's too early to say our D is good or bad, too. We'll all know the answer come Saturday though. :)
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Duck07 wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:I re-watched the game and I feel a little bit better about things. I don't think we blitzed at all the whole game. Once we allow guys like: Washington, Prevot, Coleman etc more freedom and throw some more looks out there I think we will be a bit better.

No, we did and throughout the game and not just at the end.
But did we "run blitz," i.e., not in (obvious) passing situations? . . .
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

They were Blitzing all night though very ineffectively.

In the first half alone they ran 2 corner blitzes, 2 safety blitzes with Robinson, and multiple double A gap and firezone blitzes.

On virtually every SD run of 9 or more yards it was against a Blitz and on their 45 yard run it was against a line twist, and what was probably an A-gap blitz by the Mike. I say probably because I don't know if it was the play call or the Mike charging into the A-Gap and getting stuffed on his own, as happened all night.

For as bad as Malone played, he was at least getting to the ball carrier, even with his missed tackles, he was the leading LB tackler. The Mike's spent most of the night reading the SD Guards chest numbers from 2 inches away.

They said it was Vanilla but they were Blitzing all night long so maybe what they are holding back is something more exotic like a 3-4 Bear front or a 3-3 stack or maybe even something more out of the box like a 4-3 Bear 46 using Washington as a DE and Robinson as the 46 linebacker. We shall see, Mac and Mose swear there is something more than the standard 3-4 and it's Blitzes.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Malone will play better, or at least he's shown he CAN play better.

Hardrick hasn't IMO. He's our worst LBer.

Coleman looked good.

Prevot looked good against the run and rushing the QB, but looked completely and utterly lost in pass coverage.

Washington is steady, not spectacular.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

GrandpaDuck wrote: They said it was Vanilla but they were Blitzing all night long so maybe what they are holding back is something more exotic like a 3-4 Bear front or a 3-3 stack or maybe even something more out of the box like a 4-3 Bear 46 using Washington as a DE and Robinson as the 46 linebacker. We shall see, Mac and Mose swear there is something more than the standard 3-4 and it's Blitzes.
The hybrid bear that FishDuck wrote about from the Alamo Bowl was used but I think I'd prefer going the more traditional bear route if that's the variation. Erick Dargan can play that 46 spot as well as Tyree but I think for it to really work, we need to have a powerhouse at MLB. Kiko is the recent standard for that ILB spot imo and it wasn't just the DL that made the Bear so formidable but Mike Singletary's ability to clean house after those guys messed up the OL too.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

I understand all of the concerns. I watched the game from beginning to end so I know exactly what you are referring to. At the same time, did anyone check the score board? Seems to me the defense didn't do THAT bad right?