Linebackers

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrandpaDuck
Senior

Re: Linebackers

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Duck07 wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote: They said it was Vanilla but they were Blitzing all night long so maybe what they are holding back is something more exotic like a 3-4 Bear front or a 3-3 stack or maybe even something more out of the box like a 4-3 Bear 46 using Washington as a DE and Robinson as the 46 linebacker. We shall see, Mac and Mose swear there is something more than the standard 3-4 and it's Blitzes.
The hybrid bear that FishDuck wrote about from the Alamo Bowl was used but I think I'd prefer going the more traditional bear route if that's the variation. Erick Dargan can play that 46 spot as well as Tyree but I think for it to really work, we need to have a powerhouse at MLB. Kiko is the recent standard for that ILB spot imo and it wasn't just the DL that made the Bear so formidable but Mike Singletary's ability to clean house after those guys messed up the OL too.
To me the 3-4 Bear Front and the 4-3 Bear 46 are vastly different, with the term "Bear" in the name being the main similarity. I agree that the 3-4 Bear is a relatively minor tweak and was used in past years as well so it is unlikely this is the new thing they are talking about.

Of course you're absolutely right that a Kiko would be great with a 4-3 bear but he'd be great in any defense. I actually think the 4-3 Bear would actually fit the linebackers we have better than what they have to play now. The three linebackers in that defense are more backup to the 5 bigger bodies on the line. They don't have an uncovered guard charging them almost every play where their small size puts them at a marked disadvantage. But we are talking about a first down or short yardage defense that we have no idea if it is even being considered by anyone but you and me.