#7 Michigan State @ #3 Oregon

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

dthomas=ddixon

Re: #7 Michigan State @ #3 Oregon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

UOducksTK1 wrote:I always enjoy reading opposing fan's forums after a big win for Oregon... http://michiganstate.247sports.com/Boar ... d-30943702
I love reading things like this:

Macks said... (original post)
"Drummond had a rough night. I know that he probably had the toughest job of anyone on our defense today but man did he get worked."

"I'm not sure there is another QB in college football that would be able to work the safeties in this scheme like Mariota did tonight. You really got to be quick (release wise), elusive, accurate, and paitent to do what he did.
The commentator was saying how Mariota needs to take off an use his speed. Mariota knew what he was doing more then the commentator.. He was being paient...and when the safeties came up because they thought Mariota was going to run... Mariota was able to make the accurate strong throw, while moving when the safeties broke...brilliant performance by him. Most guys can't do that...they may be quick, but not strong. Strong, but not accurate, elusive but not paitent. Mariota was all 4 of those tonight."
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:I always enjoy reading opposing fan's forums after a big win for Oregon... http://michiganstate.247sports.com/Boar ... d-30943702
I love reading things like this:

Macks said... (original post)
"Drummond had a rough night. I know that he probably had the toughest job of anyone on our defense today but man did he get worked."

"I'm not sure there is another QB in college football that would be able to work the safeties in this scheme like Mariota did tonight. You really got to be quick (release wise), elusive, accurate, and paitent to do what he did.
The commentator was saying how Mariota needs to take off an use his speed. Mariota knew what he was doing more then the commentator.. He was being paient...and when the safeties came up because they thought Mariota was going to run... Mariota was able to make the accurate strong throw, while moving when the safeties broke...brilliant performance by him. Most guys can't do that...they may be quick, but not strong. Strong, but not accurate, elusive but not paitent. Mariota was all 4 of those tonight."
In one of the pre-game shows, they pointed out one of the ways Stanford was able to stop us. While I'm no "Fishduck", I'm paraphrasing here, Mariota makes his read based on what the linebacker does. Well Stanford decided to have to linebacker pause, just do nothing forcing Mariota to make the call first, which really threw him off. It appears our coaching staff has found a way to attack that as well. Or Mariota is just so damn good it doesn't matter what the linebacker does haha. Either way, this is good news.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

http://gigapixel.panoramas.com/oregondu ... /20140906/
MSU-UO Gigapixel of Autzen. Apparently a LOT of people have already tagged themselves in this photo, lol
NCDucks09
Senior

Post by NCDucks09 »

Quackinbama - What Stanford did was have the DE or OLB slow-play Mariot's read option. This means that at the mesh-point between the QB and RB hand-off, the DE just takes one step up and pauses, not committing to the RB or QB until the handoff occurs, then reacts to the play. This causes Mariot to hesitate on his read, which gives the rest of the Defense time to attack the play. That hesitation neutralizes the mathematical advantage the Read Option gives to the offense by making the QB a runner.

MSU did the same thing to Marcus and with success. I saw the DE stepping up and pausing several times and then making the tackle or diverting Marcus's running path to allow help to make the tackle for a no gain on the keeper.

That being said, Oregon countered MSU's sell-out against the run by burning them deep through the air. Something Mariota can do when passing the ball accurately. Have to keep MM healthy this year...and great things will result for the Ducks! :)
2012 Rose Bowl Champions
2013 Fiesta Bowl Champions

Still Dedicated to the Ducks Winning the Natty!
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

NCDucks09 wrote:Quackinbama - What Stanford did was have the DE or OLB slow-play Mariot's read option. This means that at the mesh-point between the QB and RB hand-off, the DE just takes one step up and pauses, not committing to the RB or QB until the handoff occurs, then reacts to the play. This causes Mariot to hesitate on his read, which gives the rest of the Defense time to attack the play. That hesitation neutralizes the mathematical advantage the Read Option gives to the offense by making the QB a runner.

MSU did the same thing to Marcus and with success. I saw the DE stepping up and pausing several times and then making the tackle or diverting Marcus's running path to allow help to make the tackle for a no gain on the keeper.

That being said, Oregon countered MSU's sell-out against the run by burning them deep through the air. Something Mariota can do when passing the ball accurately. Have to keep MM healthy this year...and great things will result for the Ducks! :)
Ahh thats right, the "slow play". I didn't realize they had success with it. Well regardless, Oregon overcame it. They should have hired Skov off the 49er's practice squad to suit up. Guy has it down to a science :lol:
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Duck07 wrote:http://gigapixel.panoramas.com/oregondu ... /20140906/
MSU-UO Gigapixel of Autzen. Apparently a LOT of people have already tagged themselves in this photo, lol
lol, once you remove the tags, it's actually pretty cool to rotate around the stadium.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

OreDucks01284 wrote:i have the link of full replay game i got off from other site

Can you please send me the link where I can watch the full replay of the game? I live overseas now and did not have any tv channels televising the game. Watching it online was very unstable and I had to reload the stream every few minutes, so I missed alot of plays. Awful way to watch the game. Thanks.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

FS1's game highlights
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

Duck07 wrote:FS1's game highlights
Man, what a game!
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

alxtw wrote:
OreDucks01284 wrote:i have the link of full replay game i got off from other site

Can you please send me the link where I can watch the full replay of the game? I live overseas now and did not have any tv channels televising the game. Watching it online was very unstable and I had to reload the stream every few minutes, so I missed alot of plays. Awful way to watch the game. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. Check your PMs.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Quackinbama - What Stanford did was have the DE or OLB slow-play Mariot's read option. This means that at the mesh-point between the QB and RB hand-off, the DE just takes one step up and pauses, not committing to the RB or QB until the handoff occurs, then reacts to the play. This causes Mariot to hesitate on his read, which gives the rest of the Defense time to attack the play. That hesitation neutralizes the mathematical advantage the Read Option gives to the offense by making the QB a runner.
Wouldn't the best way to overcome this be with some designed QB runs or even direct snaps to the RB?

They attack us reading the LBs by giving us nothing to read (by having the LBs or DEs pause). So, we should attack that pause with instant action, right?

I, for one, like Tyner's/Freeman's/Marshal's chances of getting by a paused defensive player. :)
Willie Taggart is a dick.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Draw play! :D That would surprise them big time.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Just seems like there should be all kinds of ways for Oregon to abuse a team that "slow plays" us defensively.... especially with how much team speed/quickness we have.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Methinks Oregon sort of accomplished that mission in the second half...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!