#7 Michigan State @ #3 Oregon

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: #7 Michigan State @ #3 Oregon

Post by pezsez1 »

Wow, those MSU folks sure are confident!

I'm sticking with what I know from last season, which was we were a few huge mental mistakes from beating Stanford even with Mariota playing on one leg... and that at the end of the season, after having time to regroup, we stuffed Texas' power run game.

Ducks by two TDs, at least.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

Some thoughts:

Mark Dantonio = Mike Bellotti. Very good coach, but not elite. Relies heavily on his coordinators. Wins with senior-laden teams, but inconsistent results from year to year.

This team reminds me more of Kansas State than LSU, tOSU, or Auburn. We have the athletic advantage.

When was the last time we lost to a pocket-passing QB? LSU with Jarrett Lee? If Kevin Hogan couldn't run, would Stanford have beat us either year?
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think that we will be surprised with how good their offense, especially Cook is. I also think that they are overestimating their defense right now.

I think the game ends up being about 39-31 Ducks.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I think that we will be surprised with how good their offense, especially Cook is. I also think that they are overestimating their defense right now.

I think the game ends up being about 39-31 Ducks.
This. I'd be surprised if the score is that high, though. I'm thinking more like 29-24.

Conner Cook is an experienced QB that's tough, is a decent passer and makes good decisions. I question his mobility for this game because of his knee injury, but that's a "wait and see" scenario. If the Ducks can get through their depleted O-Line (graduation, injuries) and get him running laterally a lot we'll find out pretty quickly how badly he's hurt.

Their D-Line looks strong, but they've lost so much on defense that you have to wonder how effective they'll be against an offense like Oregon. Oh, they'll be good. But will they be elite like last year having lost 6 starters? Probably not. Still, there's no doubt in my mind that these guys have been preparing for the Ducks for months.

It looks like RB Jeremy Langford and a couple other starters are still questionable for the game. I personally think that's the key to the game. We have to slow their running game and stifle their ability to convert on 3rd down. If they're able to manage the clock by sustaining long scoring drives and keep our offense off the field we may be in for a long day, especially if they have success slowing our offense.

I expect that both teams will be looking for weaknesses in the first half, testing areas they think they can exploit where the other is vulnerable. I'm hoping we can get a good jump on them by 10-14 points by halftime and make them play from behind.
Last edited by SuperDuck on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
John 3:36
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Michigan State has to be worried about Oregon backs out of the back field. They will try to take
that away but you cant take everything. Will we actually see a fly sweep with Devon Allen? Marcus throwing the
ball deep has improved and i think we see him looking deep early. I think we get to see if all the work to get bigger
paid off as i think we see Sparty stack the line. Going to be physical early.
One thing nobody has mentioned is the heat, supposed to be 92. Oregons up tempo style and heat may be a factor
Saturday.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Since 2008 Oregon is 1-9 when they score less than 30 points!
Just for the fun of it, I wonder who here can name that 1 win without looking it up. I know this game, as I was at it.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Since 2008 Oregon is 1-9 when they score less than 30 points!
Just for the fun of it, I wonder who here can name that 1 win without looking it up. I know this game, as I was at it.
thinking back not sure of year but i am guessing UCLA at the Rose Bowl.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

My guess is that road loss to Stanford after beating USC at home.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

One of them is the Cal game where Tedford produced the 'magic formula' to beat the ducks. I think that 1-9 stat is wrong though.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

I'm excited about this game! Still debating skipping this weeks home game so I can watch it :lol:
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Oops, I totally read that wrong! Definitely not that Stanford loss, lol.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

My new guess is our last-second win over Stanford at home in either 2008 or 2009... big moment for Masoli. Now, going to look that up...
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Remember he said win....
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Remember he said win....
I was referring to Masoli's home win over Stanford when we scored with like a minute left in the game. That was the year before Masoli's road loss to Stanford.

In any case, I was incorrect.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

It's got to be the Cal game where the Cliffy punt return won it