Pellum post game interview. (from 2014)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Pellum post game interview. (from 2014)

Post by karlhungis »

OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
SuperDuck
Senior

Re: Pellum post game interview.

Post by SuperDuck »

karlhungis wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqUcgWMizRA

Not inspiring.
You could tell that he was really nervous. He was perspiring a lot. It almost looked like tears, but it wasn't. That's one thing about making the jump from being a position coach to a coordinator. You're now firmly in the spotlight and open for scrutiny.

That halftime statement from Helfrich that went something like "I'm about as unhappy as I can be with the defense, considering the score" had to have been a huge smack in the ego for Pellum. I hope that he can get it together fast.

South Dakota has officially left town and the big boys are coming.

Honestly, if it were me I'd give Alliotti a call and maybe coach Brooks, too. There's no shame in asking for advice from your former mentors.
John 3:36
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

SuperDuck wrote:

Not inspiring.
You could tell that he was really nervous. He was perspiring a lot. It almost looked like tears, but it wasn't. That's one thing about making the jump from being a position coach to a coordinator. You're now firmly in the spotlight and open for scrutiny.

That halftime statement from Helfrich that went something like "I'm about as unhappy as I can be with the defense, considering the score" had to have been a huge smack in the ego for Pellum. I hope that he can get it together fast.

Honestly, if it were me I'd give Alliotti a call and maybe coach Brooks, too. There's no shame in asking for advice from your former mentors.
That interview pretty much confirmed it for me that we weren't running any sort of vanilla defense, we just weren't very good.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

karlhungis wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:

Not inspiring.

That interview pretty much confirmed it for me that we weren't running any sort of vanilla defense, we just weren't very good.
Yes, they were. They also played 70 kids and at one time had three true freshman on the D-Line. They made mistakes where they lined up, were out of position a few times which resulted in long runs and they didn't tackle well.

There's obviously work to do, but they should be better this week. How much better remains to be seen.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

SuperDuck wrote:

Not inspiring.

Ok a couple things I have to point out. First off, Pellum was not sweating much at all. He has extremely bright camera lights shining in his face that face his skin look a bit shiny but it wasn't sweat. By the end of the interview he had a little sweat in his forehead, which is likely because of the hot camera light being on him from a foot away. He didn't seem nervous at all.

Secondly, you misquoted Helfrich. He didn't say that about the defense specifically, he said that about the team as a whole.

And third, there have been multiple people (Helfrich and Ifo specifically) who said they were running a very basic defense. Ifo said they were running the same cover 3 the whole game so all the young guys could just play fast and not have to think too much. When asked how much different Pellum was from Alliotti Ifo said it's hard to say because they didn't really run anything on defense all game.

I certainly didn't love the Pellum hire. I wanted us to go in a completely different direction defensively, not just get someone who was going to run all the same stuff. But some of the overreaction on this board after one game is ridiculous. If we get rolled by mich st then I'll join the panic parade but let's hold off until that actually happens.
Lightning Strikes
Three Star Recruit

Post by Lightning Strikes »

Lining up in the wrong position and missing tackles does not equate to "vanilla" defense. It's just "bad" defense.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Lets not get carried away though. Michigan State isn't exactly "Oregon" or Baylor offensively. Conner Cook scares no one. The entire team is build to get a 7-10 point lead and sit on it and let the defense carry the team. Our defense doesn't have to be lights out the entire night. Our offense does though.

I would be scared to death if this was USC or UCLA. They have time to gel and improve.
Last edited by QuackininBama on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

SuperDuck wrote:

Not inspiring.

His actual quote was "as unhappy as you can be about a 41-13 lead.", he didn't say anything about the defense. He could be talking about penalties, or maybe the Marshall fumble, or possibly the lack of urgency.
mm55
Four Star Recruit

Post by mm55 »

It's been confirmed multiple times they were using a base defense and not doing much else. Trying to say Pellum's ego is bruised and he is perspiring is just plain silly. If things don't improve this week then we'll know there are big time issues. I am hoping he unleashes things full throttle this week. Clearly he had no choice to do otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MM in Cali
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:

Not inspiring.

Ok a couple things I have to point out. First off, Pellum was not sweating much at all. He has extremely bright camera lights shining in his face that face his skin look a bit shiny but it wasn't sweat. By the end of the interview he had a little sweat in his forehead, which is likely because of the hot camera light being on him from a foot away. He didn't seem nervous at all.
That's your perception. I saw sweat, but the lights being that close attributing to it makes sense.
dthomas=ddixon wrote:Secondly, you misquoted Helfrich. He didn't say that about the defense specifically, he said that about the team as a whole.
I know I misquoted him. That's why I wrote that went something like before the quote. I could have sworn he said something directly about the defense, but I could be mistaken. It happens. I wasn't intentionally trying to throw anyone under the bus.
dthomas=ddixon wrote:And third, there have been multiple people (Helfrich and Ifo specifically) who said they were running a very basic defense. Ifo said they were running the same cover 3 the whole game so all the young guys could just play fast and not have to think too much. When asked how much different Pellum was from Alliotti Ifo said it's hard to say because they didn't really run anything on defense all game.
Yep. I already read the OLive article that said something similar.
dthomas=ddixon wrote:I certainly didn't love the Pellum hire. I wanted us to go in a completely different direction defensively, not just get someone who was going to run all the same stuff. But some of the overreaction on this board after one game is ridiculous. If we get rolled by mich st then I'll join the panic parade but let's hold off until that actually happens.
I had no problem with the hire. I thought it made sense to hire from within unless a really big name coach was available, but I was surprised by the decision to hire Pellum.

I'm not panicking in any way, but based on that performance, like many others, I am a bit concerned. I suppose it's natural to have expected more considering the opponent. I feel better after having read more into it.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

what the actual f**** is wrong with Duck fans. The defense is fine. It is like people look for reasons to hate the coaches.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

what the actual f**** is wrong with Duck fans. The defense is fine. It is like people look for reasons to hate the coaches.
No kidding.

I just watched the interview finally, and it looks like a regular old interview to me... and I used to conduct these interviews professionally.

I'd tell my fellow Duck fans to chill out, but I know that's not really going to happen, especially considering how NA was treated during some of his best years here.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Winner winner chicken dinner
snapt
Four Star Recruit

Post by snapt »

justducky0 wrote:what the actual f**** is wrong with Duck fans. The defense is fine. It is like people look for reasons to hate the coaches.
This happens after every opening cupcake of the season.
BOOF it!
pdxmallard
Two Star Recruit

Post by pdxmallard »

snapt wrote:
justducky0 wrote:what the actual f**** is wrong with Duck fans. The defense is fine. It is like people look for reasons to hate the coaches.
This happens after every opening cupcake of the season.

:roll: :lol: