Oregon Duck Draft Talk

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

JustisM
Three Star Recruit

Re: Oregon Duck Draft Talk

Post by JustisM »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Thanks for the updates, Justin.
No problem. As someone who covers the draft semi-professionally, I'm always welcome to update.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Wondering if you could shed some light on PFF's methodology for grading out games. (if you even have that insight).

I was reading through their Oregon/Michigan State analysis and I would say about 2/3 of their analysis was spot on, with the other 33% being off, like, COMPLETELY off, like, maybe they weren't watching those players at all during the game.

Like a guy with 100+yards and 2 TD's with a negative grade. A guy that missed several tackles and was mis-gapped multiple times with a + grade. A guy that was laying out key blocks off the right side all game with a big minus grade at TE. etc.
JustisM
Three Star Recruit

Post by JustisM »

GrantDuck wrote:Wondering if you could shed some light on PFF's methodology for grading out games. (if you even have that insight).

I was reading through their Oregon/Michigan State analysis and I would say about 2/3 of their analysis was spot on, with the other 33% being off, like, COMPLETELY off, like, maybe they weren't watching those players at all during the game.

Like a guy with 100+yards and 2 TD's with a negative grade. A guy that missed several tackles and was mis-gapped multiple times with a + grade. A guy that was laying out key blocks off the right side all game with a big minus grade at TE. etc.
Their grading scale isn't public, I don't think. I know Tony Khan (head of sports analytics for the Jaguars), son of Shad Khan (Jaguars owner), tried to buy PFF and they turned it down. They give info to a bunch of NFL teams who subscribe to other survices under their umbrella. I don't think anything they do is public, but there's some good dudes on the staff who'll explain a little from time to time on twitter.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... ock-report
We still have over six months to the NFL Draft and a lot still has to play out, but my money is on Oregon setting a new school record for draft picks in the 2015 class. The school has never had more than six players drafted in any one year, but the current crop of Ducks could produce close to double-digit picks next spring. From the senior class, CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, OT Jake Fisher, C Hroniss Grasu, OLB Tony Washington and SS Erick Dargan all project as draftable, in addition to underclassmen QB Marcus Mariota and DL Arik Armstead, who are both entering next year's draft according to campus sources. Seniors OLB Derrick Malone and CB Troy Hill are also potential draft picks and a few more underclassmen could also declare, including DE DeForest Buckner, TE Pharaoh Brown and DE Christian French.

Could 10 Ducks get drafted next year?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

No, I don't think we see as many underclassmen declare as in the past due to the new grading policies. The NFL doesn't like seeing "record-number" of underclassman declare each year seemingly.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

No way that Malone or French is drafted this year. I think Washington, Hill and Dargan are all likely to be UDFA.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

It is hard for me to picture Washington being drafted if Michael Sam was barely drafted, after leading the SEC in sacks, tackles for loss and being SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Year.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

gogreen55 wrote:It is hard for me to picture Washington being drafted if Michael Sam was barely drafted, after leading the SEC in sacks, tackles for loss and being SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Year.
Last year was a DEEP draft, Sam wasn't even the only Conf DPOY to not make a roster and frankly, I think the only reason he was drafted was because he was gay. I don't think Tony should leave this year as I don't see him getting drafted either, but fortunately for him he doesn't have the problem of being a "tweener" type that so many DE/OLB's suffer from in the transition to the NFL.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Tony Washington really has no choice but to leave after this year since he's a RS SR.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

greenyellow wrote:Tony Washington really has no choice but to leave after this year since he's a RS SR.
:lol: woops, all this talk of underclass going early has me all confused