It's early..

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckfan96
Senior

It's early..

Post by duckfan96 »

But what's up with everyone's favorite player tyner? He looked lost at times. He hurt?
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: It's early..

Post by lukeyrid13 »

He still has tons of potential, he just needs to pick a hole and hit it instead of dancing. Barner struggled with that until his senior year as well
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

He hit the hole hard like twice and those were his best runs of the game. Still overthinking IMO.
snapt
Four Star Recruit

Post by snapt »

Freeman also had the benefit of coming in fresh vs a tired D. Tyner was pounding the rock early with against a fresh D.
BOOF it!
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

snapt wrote:Freeman also had the benefit of coming in fresh vs a tired D. Tyner was pounding the rock early with against a fresh D.
+1
John 3:36
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

LGB was a monster who got much of his Duck yardage as a "change of pace" back after LMJ and his speedy friends softened up opposing D's for the kill...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I think the point about Freeman facing stored MSU defense nailed it.

There's also the matter of matchups. Teams can be so different week to week the matchup makes all the difference. Against MSU and their style of defense a power runner was going to be more effective. But when we play teams like ASU and USC who have a ton of speed on D a guy like Tyner will be more effective. He's still an extremely talented back, he just needs more room to run than Freeman and that wasn't happening against MSU. It will against a bunch of other teams this year and we will see Tyner have some monster games.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I think the point about Freeman facing stored MSU defense nailed it.

There's also the matter of matchups. Teams can be so different week to week the matchup makes all the difference. Against MSU and their style of defense a power runner was going to be more effective. But when we play teams like ASU and USC who have a ton of speed on D a guy like Tyner will be more effective. He's still an extremely talented back, he just needs more room to run than Freeman and that wasn't happening against MSU. It will against a bunch of other teams this year and we will see Tyner have some monster games.
Andre Y was not playing very well against MSU and several times when he got beat it blew the play up and Tyner could have had some different #s. While we kind of abandoned the run early (this seems to be a theme against stout D's) we could have still done some things in the run game to help. Its clear that Tyner is not a goal-line back but as you said he's still a fine back who can make teams pay and will as the season goes on. I don't know if its the nature of being a physical back but sometimes in our offense we really just need the back to go straight ahead for a hard 3, 4 yards instead of trying to get outside (even on outside runs, sometimes they've beat you to the edge so just cut up field and go) for the big one.

At this point its clear that the carries for the year should be based on a meritocracy and who is playing the best that day/matchup.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

I'm with those who think Freeman benefitted from a tired defense. It is alot easier to run full speed with the defense is a step behind. It is easy for us to speculate that Tyner was running tentatively, but all that is accomplished by running full speed (into a defender who is already in the running lane) is a tackle a split second earlier. We saw Tyner feast on tried defenses last year in much the same way that Freeman did. It is a long season and I still think Tyner ends up with more yards....
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I think the point about Freeman facing stored MSU defense nailed it.

And this isn't directly on-topic and maybe you didn't mean it literally, but I thought I'd just point out that the Ducks aren't scheduled to play ASU or USC this year.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Greenblood wrote:

And this isn't directly on-topic and maybe you didn't mean it literally, but I thought I'd just point out that the Ducks aren't scheduled to play ASU or USC this year.
You know I wasn't even thinking about our schedule, I was just thinking off the top of my head about which defense tend to be speed oriented. Thanks for pointing that out. Thankfully for Tyner most defenses in conference are just plain bad or built on speed to defend all the spread offenses.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Quick vision is more of an asset than quickness. Freeman has it over Tyner and has enough quickness and size to be more complete. My opinion.
cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Post by cmmadness »

I'm still a huge Tyner fan but I really think he needs a break out game next week,
if for no other reason than for his confidence. He was played sparingly last year
but he really came on in the Civil War. I was expecting huge things from him this
year and barring injury, I still think he has a good year. As others have said, It
would be nice to see him hit the hole rather that dancing around a bit.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Yall are just making a bunch of excuses for Tyner...He is playing terrible, won't hit the hole and goes down way to easy on first contact. Freeman & Marshall have both been running better than Tyner... also maybe Tyner should get some moves..honestly. He has no moves to get past a player, no stiff arm, no change of pace, no spin moves. Overrated at this point in his career. I hope he turns it around.
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

He's not my favorite player.

Freeman is da man.