It's early..

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Re: It's early..

Post by cmmadness »

Perhaps the mods can start a poll. I still think he rushes for 1000 yards this year.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

Tyner is a good Pac 12 back who will be an all conference type of player his senior year. After Royce has gone to the NFL.
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

wlduck wrote:Tyner is a good Pac 12 back who will be an all conference type of player his senior year. After Royce has gone to the NFL.

Except that Tyner isn't staying for his senior year.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

fpsduck wrote:
wlduck wrote:Tyner is a good Pac 12 back who will be an all conference type of player his senior year. After Royce has gone to the NFL.

Except that Tyner isn't staying for his senior year.
He may have to. Or transfer. He's not going to be the featured back as long as Freeman is here. At least that's what my eyes tell me.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

This is probably terrible of me, but I feel a small measure of satisfaction watching Tyner have to compete with other good backs and not necessarily get the starter's carries. Coming out of high school, it kinda seemed like he was reading his own press clippings a lot. The rumors were always that his family had a plan to get to the NFL and they needed Oregon to accommodate that plan as a condition of coming to Eugene. It just seemed like he thought of himself as a huge superstar that wouldn't be around long, and he was doing us all a favor by going to Oregon. We may have even lost out on some other highly-rated recruits because he came here. Now that he is here, it kind of seems like the coaches aren't exactly going gaga over his performances, and he appears to have been passed up by the younger Freeman. Will he respond with hard work or an entitlement attitude? Frankly, the idea of him leaving early for the draft at this point seems ludicrous. It looks like Oregon might have one or two things he could learn first.

Of course, I could have the situation all wrong, but a few comments from coaches have been telling that he didn't come to Oregon with the strongest work ethic.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

I think a lot of fans had/has that same mindset. Like everyone expected him to be oregons best player ever. He should watch Marshall and learn some work ethic. Jmo
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

Phalanx wrote:This is probably terrible of me, but I feel a small measure of satisfaction watching Tyner have to compete with other good backs and not necessarily get the starter's carries. Coming out of high school, it kinda seemed like he was reading his own press clippings a lot. The rumors were always that his family had a plan to get to the NFL and they needed Oregon to accommodate that plan as a condition of coming to Eugene. It just seemed like he thought of himself as a huge superstar that wouldn't be around long, and he was doing us all a favor by going to Oregon. We may have even lost out on some other highly-rated recruits because he came here. Now that he is here, it kind of seems like the coaches aren't exactly going gaga over his performances, and he appears to have been passed up by the younger Freeman. Will he respond with hard work or an entitlement attitude? Frankly, the idea of him leaving early for the draft at this point seems ludicrous. It looks like Oregon might have one or two things he could learn first.

Of course, I could have the situation all wrong, but a few comments from coaches have been telling that he didn't come to Oregon with the strongest work ethic.
I completely agree, actually. Before the dude even took a snap here people were already calling it that he would be the best back Oregon has ever had...which I always thought was utterly stupid. I think a big chunk of this is that people had such a hard on because he was an Oregon local.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

You guys sure do seem to enjoy being critical of the kid. Why isn't anyone bashing Marshal over his lack of impact against MSU? Tyner had a bad game against a good team that was set on stopping the run. I don't understand why everyone seems to enjoy watching his struggles.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

before the season it was Tyner this and Tyner that. And he should be the starter ETC. We have 3 awsome backs. None of our backs early on
could run against MSU. It wasn't all Tyner's fault. If you do not have a hole to run through your not gaining yards period. MSU tried their best
to take away the zone read. They did pretty well for awhile. But lets not totally blame Tyner.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

He went out with a shoulder injury that have Freeman the majority of the carries in the second half.
Return Of the Quack!
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Duckattack7 wrote:He went out with a shoulder injury that have Freeman the majority of the carries in the second half.
And here's an O-live piece from today where Tyner mentions the shoulder injury.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... _adop.html
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Greenblood wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:I think the point about Freeman facing stored MSU defense nailed it.

There's also the matter of matchups. Teams can be so different week to week the matchup makes all the difference. Against MSU and their style of defense a power runner was going to be more effective. But when we play teams like ASU and USC who have a ton of speed on D a guy like Tyner will be more effective. He's still an extremely talented back, he just needs more room to run than Freeman and that wasn't happening against MSU. It will against a bunch of other teams this year and we will see Tyner have some monster games.
And this isn't directly on-topic and maybe you didn't mean it literally, but I thought I'd just point out that the Ducks aren't scheduled to play ASU or USC this year.
I'll be one to jump on the SC bandwagon. While Sark made a fool of himself....again, USC has always had the athletes. Problem is, they also had the albatross, Kiffin. I think, just from early speculation, we will see SC in the Pac championship game.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

QuackininBama wrote:
Greenblood wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:I think the point about Freeman facing stored MSU defense nailed it.

There's also the matter of matchups. Teams can be so different week to week the matchup makes all the difference. Against MSU and their style of defense a power runner was going to be more effective. But when we play teams like ASU and USC who have a ton of speed on D a guy like Tyner will be more effective. He's still an extremely talented back, he just needs more room to run than Freeman and that wasn't happening against MSU. It will against a bunch of other teams this year and we will see Tyner have some monster games.
And this isn't directly on-topic and maybe you didn't mean it literally, but I thought I'd just point out that the Ducks aren't scheduled to play ASU or USC this year.
I'll be one to jump on the SC bandwagon. While Sark made a fool of himself....again, USC has always had the athletes. Problem is, they also had the albatross, Kiffin. I think, just from early speculation, we will see SC in the Pac championship game.
I wouldn't go that far yet. They have yet to face a good offense. ASU, Arizona, and even Utah will test their defense more than Stanford did.
uodux1212
Senior

Post by uodux1212 »

Stanford laid a total egg, SC played like s*** and barely won. Ugh.

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

justducky0 wrote:Yall are just making a bunch of excuses for Tyner...He is playing terrible, won't hit the hole and goes down way to easy on first contact. Freeman & Marshall have both been running better than Tyner... also maybe Tyner should get some moves..honestly. He has no moves to get past a player, no stiff arm, no change of pace, no spin moves. Overrated at this point in his career. I hope he turns it around.
Seems obvious to me who the best back is-Freeman. He hits a hole, no dancing around, has great vision, power and speed. He needs about 20 touches a game. Of course with those 20 touches a game he won't be at Oregon long...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine