#2 Oregon @ Washington State

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Joe4Ducks
One Star Recruit

Re: #2 Oregon @ Washington State

Post by Joe4Ducks »

Let's not forget last year. We thrashed the Cougs, put our backups in and Halliday threw it all over the place. coach Allioti had a fit after that game lol. Anyway, our secondary is going to be running all over the place Saturday night but Halliday likes to throw INTs as much as he does TDs so I'm hoping we will get some some good turn overs in this game. Oh and thanks for having me here, this is my first post and I'm happy I found this site!
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

Welcome to the site!
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Welcome, Joe.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Yes, welcome Joe.

I think Oregon really gets their run game going against Wazzu. I'm calling 2 rushers with 100 or more yards.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Yes, welcome Joe.

I think Oregon really gets their run game going against Wazzu. I'm calling 2 rushers with 100 or more yards.
Let's hope we run on them like we did back in '01. I think Onterrio went for 285 and Morris went for 130.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Looks like the Ducks are at about 24-point favorites, up from about 19. But I read how the Ducks haven't covered the spread vs. WSU the last four years, which also fits with my memory. Seems like something screwy usually happens against the Cougars. Just hope it isn't stuff that damages the team for the season. I'm thinking something like 54-35.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Greenblood wrote:Looks like the Ducks are at about 24-point favorites, up from about 19. But I read how the Ducks haven't covered the spread vs. WSU the last four years, which also fits with my memory. Seems like something screwy usually happens against the Cougars. Just hope it isn't stuff that damages the team for the season. I'm thinking something like 54-35.
Yeah I got Oregon 51-27, which happens to exactly be the line.

Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

I'm pleasantly reminded of what Chip said in the week leading up to the Duck-Cougar game in Seattle two years ago (http://www.oregonlive.com/pac-12/index. ... day_3.html):

What does Leach have in store for the Ducks? "He's gonna chuck it'' says Chip Kelly.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I think the score is closer than Vegas thinks. I think we win but it is at Wazzu and we know they will be passing the ball around. I think they score around 30 on us. Oregon has not put pressure on the qb except for 1 half against Michigan State. If is no pressure against Halliday then he will likely be able to score on us. I would like to see pressure put on Halliday consistently since this is a Pac 12 school but nothing in the 3 games so far indicates that will be what happens.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

5. Oregon’s recent dominance over Washington State is making it one of the most lopsided conference series in the country. The No. 2 Ducks have won seven straight games over the Cougars heading into Saturday night’s game in Pullman, averaging 52.4 points per game with an average margin of victory of 32.1 points. Ouch.
Low 60s for Oregon, low to mid 20s for WSU sounds about right with about 3 picks for our defense.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I think the score is closer than Vegas thinks. I think we win but it is at Wazzu and we know they will be passing the ball around. I think they score around 30 on us. Oregon has not put pressure on the qb except for 1 half against Michigan State. If is no pressure against Halliday then he will likely be able to score on us. I would like to see pressure put on Halliday consistently since this is a Pac 12 school but nothing in the 3 games so far indicates that will be what happens.
Six or seven sacks against Wyoming seems like a lot of pressure to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

If we give up 40 or more to WSU would it be a surprise to anyone based on the first 3 games? We are one of the Nations worse at giving up 10+ yards plays and that is against 2 body bag teams and one Defensive oriented team. WSU averages a Nations best 280+ yards a game in After Catch Yardage. Weakness against Strength.

While Hill and Ifo can hold up in coverage, the season so far suggests their 3 and 4 wide receivers have a huge match up advantage.

My hope is we don't give up long scores and make them try to score from the red-zone where their offense traditionally stalls with less room to work and with no running game. WSU really struggles against teams that get pressure on them with 3 and 4 man rushes with 8 or 7 in coverage. Hurried throws into congested zones are the bulk of their INTs.

The Air Raid has traditionally destroyed teams that try to heavily blitz them.

Hopefully Armstead, Buckner and the OLB's can generate effective pressure on their own without having to "bring the house".

Score 50-60 points and it wont matter anyway.

I am not predicting that WSU will score over 40. I would be surprised if WSU scored under 20, I would be surprised if they scored more than 45. I have no prediction other than that as this defense baffles me so far. It has the talent to be great but it often plays like crap so far.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

And per http://www.teamrankings.com/ among games involving only FBS teams, the Ducks' D is 68th in the FBS in opponents' yards per play, and 91st in opponents' third down conversion percentage. I'm hoping these are growing pains with a new DC, a mostly new starting secondary, and playing a lot of backups, but I'm not convinced the Duck D is going to be better than very average this year. With the league games starting, I hope the Ducks begin to prove my suspicions wrong tomorrow night.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Greenblood wrote:And per http://www.teamrankings.com/ among games involving only FBS teams, the Ducks' D is 68th in the FBS in opponents' yards per play, and 91st in opponents' third down conversion percentage. I'm hoping these are growing pains with a new DC, a mostly new starting secondary, and playing a lot of backups, but I'm not convinced the Duck D is going to be better than very average this year. With the league games starting, I hope the Ducks begin to prove my suspicions wrong tomorrow night.
And two of those games were against SD and Wyoming..

Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Greenblood wrote:And per http://www.teamrankings.com/ among games involving only FBS teams, the Ducks' D is 68th in the FBS in opponents' yards per play, and 91st in opponents' third down conversion percentage. I'm hoping these are growing pains with a new DC, a mostly new starting secondary, and playing a lot of backups, but I'm not convinced the Duck D is going to be better than very average this year. With the league games starting, I hope the Ducks begin to prove my suspicions wrong tomorrow night.
And two of those games were against SD and Wyoming..
Per the site, the stats are only from games involving ONLY FBS teams, so the SD game stats wouldn't have contributed to that.