#12 Oregon @ #18 UCLA

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: #12 Oregon @ #18 UCLA

Post by buckmarkduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:It's laziness. Take a note out of Leach and RR, and keep pouring it on until the clock strikes 0:00. We already have one loss, so a 42-10 win over UCLA vs a 42-31 win over UCLA could be the difference when it comes to making playoffs.
OREGON has never done that. Not Brooks, Bellotti or even Chip, so I wouldn't hold my breath on having Helf do it either.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

MFRDuckFan wrote:Learn the numbers of the players so you know when the backups are in PLEASE! I totally think they took key starters out way too early and hope they don't do that in the future, but the backups need game experience and there will be growing pains.
Absolutely. Perfect scenario would have been rushing for a touchdown instead of throwing 3 of 4 attempts late in the game on a first and goal. Would have been way out of reach at that point, and allowed Lockie and others to get game time. Not the best series for Frost, but an overall well called game by him.
Bigwaved
Four Star Recruit

Post by Bigwaved »

So, the missed tackles by the backups are excused. Got it. I wish the fella who stole Hardrick's jersey would give it back...
Bigwaved
Four Star Recruit

Post by Bigwaved »

Maybe he missed the tackle in the open field to fool everyone into thinking it was Hardrick so he could keep it... :roll:
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

We won away. Good for the team. :)
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

Bigwaved wrote:So, the missed tackles by the backups are excused. Got it. I wish the fella who stole Hardrick's jersey would give it back...
Not at all but you have to understand that the #1's are #1's for a reason and when you sub someone into one of those spots (or even 2 at a time) there is a lack of discipline and skill level. But I'm guessing you know that.

Plus, #1's tend to over babysit the #2's & #3's and lose focus. But I'm guessing you know that too.

Expecting the backups to be perfect is a bit over the top, don't you think?
Bigwaved
Four Star Recruit

Post by Bigwaved »

MFRDuckFan wrote:
Bigwaved wrote:So, the missed tackles by the backups are excused. Got it. I wish the fella who stole Hardrick's jersey would give it back...
Not at all but you have to understand that the #1's are #1's for a reason and when you sub someone into one of those spots (or even 2 at a time) there is a lack of discipline and skill level. But I'm guessing you know that.

Plus, #1's tend to over babysit the #2's & #3's and lose focus. But I'm guessing you know that too.

Expecting the backups to be perfect is a bit over the top, don't you think?
I am aware of there may be a talent and experience gap with starters versus 3rd stringers. With that, I am sure you won't argue that the discipline and tackling are still eyesores. Better this week (hard not to jump over that low bar), but still a long way from where it needs to be to be able to handle a game where the offense is not piling up points.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Us "whiners" aren't calling for coaches to be fired (or at least I'm not), but as a 1 loss team, they need to impress teams and that 4th quarter doesn't help their case when the committee is in charge. If this happens under the BCS or if Oregon was undefetaed, I don't care, I won't say a thing, but as a 1 loss team with still hope, they can't have 4th quarters like that even when the game is over.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Us "whiners" aren't calling for coaches to be fired (or at least I'm not), but as a 1 loss team, they need to impress teams and that 4th quarter doesn't help their case when the committee is in charge. If this happens under the BCS or if Oregon was undefetaed, I don't care, I won't say a thing, but as a 1 loss team with still hope, they can't have 4th quarters like that even when the game is over.
I don't like prevent, or clearing the bench anymore than you, but at least the announcers where smart enough to know that's what we did. I'm guessing anyone else who is voting on the playoffs are also.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

buckmarkduck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Us "whiners" aren't calling for coaches to be fired (or at least I'm not), but as a 1 loss team, they need to impress teams and that 4th quarter doesn't help their case when the committee is in charge. If this happens under the BCS or if Oregon was undefetaed, I don't care, I won't say a thing, but as a 1 loss team with still hope, they can't have 4th quarters like that even when the game is over.
I don't like prevent, or clearing the bench anymore than you, but at least the announcers where smart enough to know that's what we did. I'm guessing anyone else who is voting on the playoffs are also.
I wouldn't count on that.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Isn't one of them Condoleezza Rice? If so, that makes me less confident about the committee's ability to find valid evidence to support their decisions.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Michigan State gave up 14 Garbage Time points to an offensively inept Purdue team for a 45-30 victory. I hope the committee actually watches the games.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

pezsez1 wrote:
Isn't one of them Condoleezza Rice? If so, that makes me less confident about the committee's ability to find valid evidence to support their decisions.
If we win out, there's no question we're in
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

pezsez1 wrote:
Exactly. Plus think Pat Hayden cares what happens outside of USC?
cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Post by cmmadness »

buckmarkduck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:It's laziness. Take a note out of Leach and RR, and keep pouring it on until the clock strikes 0:00. We already have one loss, so a 42-10 win over UCLA vs a 42-31 win over UCLA could be the difference when it comes to making playoffs.
OREGON has never done that. Not Brooks, Bellotti or even Chip, so I wouldn't hold my breath on having Helf do it either.
No, but watching the 4th quarter was like watching a Mike Bellotti coached team. Chip Kelly was the master of psychological warfare.
He understood when it was time to hit the throttle and when it was time for clock killing mode; and even then
he usually killed the clock. Watching that pathetic three and out was---well---pathetic.

I think what's bothering a lot of us is we (largely) just watched a Chip Kelly type football game only to have the coaches revert to a pre-Chip Kelly mindset.

Like many have already stated: style points matter. We were shredding UCLA's defense only to come out with three unimaginative
running plays when UCLA knew that's what we were going to do.

Yesterday I was feeling very uncomfortable about the upcoming Washington game. After watching today's performance
I feel far better about taking them out in convincing fashion---but for all the reasons stated above, let's play 60 minutes of
football and make it convincing.