#12 Oregon @ #18 UCLA

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OreDucks01284
Senior

Re: #12 Oregon @ #18 UCLA

Post by OreDucks01284 »

cmmadness wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:It's laziness. Take a note out of Leach and RR, and keep pouring it on until the clock strikes 0:00. We already have one loss, so a 42-10 win over UCLA vs a 42-31 win over UCLA could be the difference when it comes to making playoffs.
OREGON has never done that. Not Brooks, Bellotti or even Chip, so I wouldn't hold my breath on having Helf do it either.
No, but watching the 4th quarter was like watching a Mike Bellotti coached team. Chip Kelly was the master of psychological warfare.
He understood when it was time to hit the throttle and when it was time for clock killing mode; and even then
he usually killed the clock. Watching that pathetic three and out was---well---pathetic.

I think what's bothering a lot of us is we (largely) just watched a Chip Kelly type football game only to have the coaches revert to a pre-Chip Kelly mindset.

Like many have already stated: style points matter. We were shredding UCLA's defense only to come out with three unimaginative
running plays when UCLA knew that's what we were going to do.

Yesterday I was feeling very uncomfortable about the upcoming Washington game. After watching today's performance
I feel far better about taking them out in convincing fashion---but for all the reasons stated above, let's play 60 minutes of
football and make it convincing.
Yes! Chip is pretty good at killing the clock, Looking back to 9 min milking the clock in one drive to seal close game win vs Cal in 2011. I was expecting that but got a disappointed 3 and out then 3 and out.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

The game 99 percent over with 8 minutes left. Even though UCLA did some good things to close the gap, they still didn't do nearly enough.

The coaches certainly played those last 8 minutes not to lose, but they also played it safe and didn't risk further mistakes/injuries to our offense. About the only thing I really didn't like in that last 8 mins was giving up that one long passing TD. If you're going to commit to killing the clock, you can't allow those plays to happen.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

cmmadness wrote: No, but watching the 4th quarter was like watching a Mike Bellotti coached team. Chip Kelly was the master of psychological warfare.
He understood when it was time to hit the throttle and when it was time for clock killing mode; and even then
he usually killed the clock. Watching that pathetic three and out was---well---pathetic.

Amen
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

If Oregon beat Arizona or if we we were still under the BCS, I wouldn't have such an issue with that final 10 min, but as of now, 1 loss with a playoff committee? Can't do that.
cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Post by cmmadness »

Direct from the play by play chart: Oregon ball with 9:46 remaining in the 4th quarter.

Ka'imi Fairbairn kickoff for 65 yds , Charles Nelson return for 15 yds to the Oregn 15 42 18

1st and 10 at ORE 15 Thomas Tyner run for 4 yds to the Oregn 19
2nd and 6 at ORE 19 Thomas Tyner run for 1 yd to the Oregn 20
3rd and 5 at ORE 20 Thomas Tyner run for 3 yds to the Oregn 23

Timeout UCLA, clock 08:07
4th and 2 at ORE 23 Ian Wheeler punt for 44 yds, downed at the UCLA 33.

ORE DRIVE TOTALS: 3 plays, 8 yards, 1:48

Ten minutes to go in the game and all we needed was a few more first downs
to wrap up a dominating victory. There was no reason to hand the ball right back to them.

Good----now I've got it out of my system---on to the Washington game. :twisted:
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I remember lots of games that Chip packed it in, especially on the O side of the ball. To act like he didn't, is either just forgetfulness on your part or you don't want to admit it. I give you Fresno St if your want to argue the point. Btw Cal was horrible in the chip years, i wouldn't use them to make your arguments.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:If Oregon beat Arizona or if we we were still under the BCS, I wouldn't have such an issue with that final 10 min, but as of now, 1 loss with a playoff committee? Can't do that.
Atleast someone else also gets it.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Post by cmmadness »

buckmarkduck wrote:I remember lots of games that Chip packed it in, especially on the O side of the ball. To act like he didn't, is either just forgetfulness on your part or you don't want to admit it. I give you Fresno St if your want to argue the point. Btw Cal was horrible in the chip years, I wouldn't use them to make your arguments.
And in which of those games did Oregon give up three touchdown in 8 minutes????????? :?

I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ but Chip knew how to put a football game away. As for the Fresno State game,
we gave up 9 points in the 4th quarter and we won the game 42-25. It was also the 2nd game of the year
and we were still working out the kinks.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

cmmadness wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:I remember lots of games that Chip packed it in, especially on the O side of the ball. To act like he didn't, is either just forgetfulness on your part or you don't want to admit it. I give you Fresno St if your want to argue the point. Btw Cal was horrible in the chip years, I wouldn't use them to make your arguments.
And in which of those games did Oregon give up three touchdown in 8 minutes????????? :?

I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ but Chip knew how to put a football game away. As for the Fresno State game,
we gave up 9 points in the 4th quarter and we won the game 42-25. It was also the 2nd game of the year
and we were still working out the kinks.
Only time that happened was against ASU in 2012 but that was helped by a Brian Bennett pick six.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

cmmadness wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:It's laziness. Take a note out of Leach and RR, and keep pouring it on until the clock strikes 0:00. We already have one loss, so a 42-10 win over UCLA vs a 42-31 win over UCLA could be the difference when it comes to making playoffs.
OREGON has never done that. Not Brooks, Bellotti or even Chip, so I wouldn't hold my breath on having Helf do it either.
No, but watching the 4th quarter was like watching a Mike Bellotti coached team. Chip Kelly was the master of psychological warfare.

I think what's bothering a lot of us is we (largely) just watched a Chip Kelly type football game only to have the coaches revert to a pre-Chip Kelly mindset.

Like many have already stated: style points matter. We were shredding UCLA's defense only to come out with three unimaginative

Yesterday I was feeling very uncomfortable about the upcoming Washington game. After watching today's performance
I feel far better about taking them out in convincing fashion---but for all the reasons stated above, let's play 60 minutes of
I can easily list 10 games Chip let the other team rack up points and stats during garbage time. I would have loved for us to do more than 3 dives up the middle and prevent on defense, but as Buckmark correctly stated, all Oregon coaches have done this and Helfrich isn't going to be any different. In Chip's last season alone remember Arkansas St, Fresno St and Arizona State?
Last edited by GrandpaDuck on Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
cmmadness wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

I can easily list 10 games Chip let the other team rack up points and stats during garbage time. I would have loved for us to do more than 3 dives up the middle and prevent on defense, but as Buckmark correctly stated, all Oregon coaches have done this and Helfrich isn't going to be any different. In Chip's last season alone remember Arkansas St, Fresno St, Arizona State, and Washington State?
Against ASU, Bennett had a pick six. WSU, Leach was being a tool. but that's typical for him. But regardless, yes Chip let off the gas, but not as bad, and also, we're in a new age of football. 1 loss teams are going to be competing to be in the playoffs, and considering we have a committee now that considers scores rather than computers that don't, it's more important to not let up as badly as Helf and DP did today.
cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Post by cmmadness »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:
cmmadness wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

I can easily list 10 games Chip let the other team rack up points and stats during garbage time. I would have loved for us to do more than 3 dives up the middle and prevent on defense, but as Buckmark correctly stated, all Oregon coaches have done this and Helfrich isn't going to be any different. In Chip's last season alone remember Arkansas St, Fresno St, Arizona State, and Washington State?
Against ASU, Bennett had a pick six. WSU, Leach was being a tool. but that's typical for him. But regardless, yes Chip let off the gas, but not as bad, and also, we're in a new age of football. 1 loss teams are going to be competing to be in the playoffs, and considering we have a committee now that considers scores rather than computers that don't, it's more important to not let up as badly as Helf and DP did today.
Arkansas State was demolished 50-3 with 8 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter. It was frustrating watching our 3rd string give up late points but the end result was a more experienced team that solidly beat Kansas State.

Fresno State was a brain fart and as stated above, we only gave up 9 4th quarter points.

We gave up huge points to WSU last year under Helfrich, not Kelly.

Oregon gave up only two late touchdowns to ASU in 2012 and the final score was 43-21.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

cmmadness wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:
cmmadness wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

Arkansas State was demolished 50-3 with 8 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter. It was frustrating watching our 3rd string give up late points but the end result was a more experienced team that solidly beat Kansas State.

Fresno State was a brain fart and as stated above, we only gave up 9 4th quarter points.

Oregon gave up only two late touchdowns to ASU in 2012 and the final score was 43-21.
Kelly went deep to the bench with 10 minutes to go against ASU, the fact that ASU only scored 14 points against the subs instead of 20 like UCLA is because ASU wasn't as good at garbage time ball as UCLA and Arkansas State (31 GT points) were. It wasn't because Kelly put his starters back in because he didn't. Kelly pulled his starters in games like this repeatedly.

I like style points as much as the next fan, but most coaches dont give a rip about them including Kelly.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

That ASU game was a horror for them. We put on the brakes before the half.

Ok Ducks - considering the last game, this one was a gem. I believe more changes are forthcoming and they will be good ones. Perhaps DP went back to his basic D as an experiment. Hopefully he has learned that his old ways are bad for the team and he will adjust as he did some of this game.
cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Post by cmmadness »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
cmmadness wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:
cmmadness wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote: OREGON has never done that. Not Brooks, Bellotti or even Chip, so I wouldn't hold my breath on having Helf do it either.

Kelly went deep to the bench with 10 minutes to go against ASU, the fact that ASU only scored 14 points against the subs instead of 20 like UCLA is because ASU wasn't as good at garbage time ball as UCLA and Arkansas State (31 GT points) were. It wasn't because Kelly put his starters back in because he didn't. Kelly pulled his starters in games like this repeatedly.

I like style points as much as the next fan, but most coaches dont give a rip about them including Kelly.
I never said he didn't pull his starters. I said he knew how to put a football game away, and again, he never gave up
21 points in 8 minutes as did Helfrich today.

The genius of Chip Kelly (among many other things) was his ability to defeat and demoralize an opponent
to the point where they gave up psychologically. Only then would he let his foot off the gas pedal. The Arkansas State and
Arizona State games were exactly that.

We might be splitting hairs here and no reason to keep going over it other than to say this:

The 4th quarter simply "felt wrong." We were up 42-10 and jambing the ball down UCLA's throat. Then we went into
clock killing mode and handed the ball off to Tyner three times in a row up the middle, taking less than 2:00 minutes
off the clock in the process. It's just my opinion but I'm thinking Chip Kelly puts one more touchdown on the board: (Oregon 49-10)
and kills more clock time.

Grandpa Duck: Good conversation and on Washington next week. :)