ESPN Heisman

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

dthomas=ddixon

Re: ESPN Heisman

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

wlduck wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:The Heisman has turned into a joke. If you aren't on an SEC/big name team you have to be absolutely perfect every minute of every game. Mariota can't have a bad drive if expects to win it. Manziel had multiple awful games and he ran away with the award. Richardson and Ingram being Heisman winners is laughable. It's rare that a voter thinks for himself, they're all swayed by whichever way the public/social media is leaning at the moment.
Does no one see the irony of accusing others of being "big name teams". You don't seriously think Oregon gets a lack of publicity? ESPN and all the other outlets are all in on Oregon as a national story. Yes, Marcus drops off the front page for a week, but he is still in the best position of any of the contenders if he has a strong season. I firmly believe a 10-2 Marcus with his current stats projected over a whole season would be tough to beat.
Big name as in traditional powers. Something Oregon will never be considered because we weren't good 20 years ago.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote: Big name as in traditional powers. Something Oregon will never be considered because we weren't good 20 years ago.
That really doesn't mean anything nowadays, especially in regards to Marcus and his Heisman chances because he could go the route that Manziel did to win it, ie, put up great numbers, win some big games but finish with more than 1 loss and still take the trophy. The problem with that scenario coming to life: Marcus still putting up big numbers. I just don't see that happening with all of the attrition to the OL and unlike others, I don't feel that a healthy Fisher returning is going to dramatically fix the other issues on the OL to the point where the Offense/Marcus keep humming along while the D resembles a sieve more and more each week.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Duck07 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote: Big name as in traditional powers. Something Oregon will never be considered because we weren't good 20 years ago.
That really doesn't mean anything nowadays, especially in regards to Marcus and his Heisman chances because he could go the route that Manziel did to win it, ie, put up great numbers, win some big games but finish with more than 1 loss and still take the trophy. The problem with that scenario coming to life: Marcus still putting up big numbers. I just don't see that happening with all of the attrition to the OL and unlike others, I don't feel that a healthy Fisher returning is going to dramatically fix the other issues on the OL to the point where the Offense/Marcus keep humming along while the D resembles a sieve more and more each week.
I'm with you in that I don't see it happening. Which means he will have no chance of winning the award. The point I'm getting at is if he played for an SEC or a traditional power program it wouldn't make a difference, he would still have espn drooling all over him.

Who was the last non-USC player from the west coast to win the heisman? It doesn't happen. A player from the west coast/non-traditional power has to actually be otherworldly, for real, not just made to seem so by espn, to win the award.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
I'm with you in that I don't see it happening. Which means he will have no chance of winning the award. The point I'm getting at is if he played for an SEC or a traditional power program it wouldn't make a difference, he would still have espn drooling all over him.

Who was the last non-USC player from the west coast to win the heisman? It doesn't happen. A player from the west coast/non-traditional power has to actually be otherworldly, for real, not just made to seem so by espn, to win the award.
Marcus has 1 thing going against him when vying for the Heisman and it is that he is low key. He doesn't go out everywhere and say LOOK AT ME , and that's the difference between him and everyone who has won in recent years. Some have had controversies and questionable personall decisions but then you look at Tebow as much as everyone loved to hate him, myself included, he loved attention and that's what the Heisman is about.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

That is one of the more perplexing things I've observed in sports. How people hate Tim Tebow? Literally, the guy goes to help 3rd world countries for weeks out of the year... And he actually does something (helps perform medical procedures on the ill) as opposed to the hollywood stars who go there for a week and tell everybody else to donate... But I'm sure you nor anybody else knows about that, which makes so much sense since he's all about the attention, right?

"Oh, but he forces his religion down our throats". Um, no he doesn't. Whenever he's interviewed he gives credit to God and good for him. He doesn't tell the interviewer to become a christian right now or your going to hell. And he doesn't use his faith to promote his own image as so many believe. If that were the case he wouldn't go tell prisoners about his faith if it was all about publicity.

Ignorance at its finest. Rant over.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

dd10snoop28 wrote:That is one of the more perplexing things I've observed in sports. How people hate Tim Tebow? Literally, the guy goes to help 3rd world countries for weeks out of the year... And he actually does something (helps perform medical procedures on the ill) as opposed to the hollywood stars who go there for a week and tell everybody else to donate... But I'm sure you nor anybody else knows about that, which makes so much sense since he's all about the attention, right?

"Oh, but he forces his religion down our throats". Um, no he doesn't. Whenever he's interviewed he gives credit to God and good for him. He doesn't tell the interviewer to become a christian right now or your going to hell. And he doesn't use his faith to promote his own image as so many believe. If that were the case he wouldn't go tell prisoners about his faith if it was all about publicity.

What? No , you're reading to much into it . My hate of Tebow was because he played for Florida. I refuse to like anything about Florida.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

dd10snoop28 wrote:That is one of the more perplexing things I've observed in sports. How people hate Tim Tebow? Literally, the guy goes to help 3rd world countries for weeks out of the year... And he actually does something (helps perform medical procedures on the ill) as opposed to the hollywood stars who go there for a week and tell everybody else to donate... But I'm sure you nor anybody else knows about that, which makes so much sense since he's all about the attention, right?

Agreed. Seems the hate for Florida overwhelmed what a great guy he was on and off the field. I personally never disliked him because his personality is much like Mariota's in that he's a pretty selfless and humble person but a heckuva competitor.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

My problem with Tebow was not his school, but his "fake" stats. If you guys remember, Florida would be up like, 42-14 with 7:00 left, and he would still be in there running for scores. They did everything they could to pad his stats.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

QuackininBama wrote:My problem with Tebow was not his school, but his "fake" stats. If you guys remember, Florida would be up like, 42-14 with 7:00 left, and he would still be in there running for scores. They did everything they could to pad his stats.
But that's more on Meyer than Tebow so I don't see how that makes Tebow the bad guy there.
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

QuackininBama wrote:My problem with Tebow was not his school, but his "fake" stats. If you guys remember, Florida would be up like, 42-14 with 7:00 left, and he would still be in there running for scores. They did everything they could to pad his stats.
Isn't that what a lot of posters on this board are crying about - that the Ducks didn't pour it on today when we were up 42-18 at 8 minutes left?
OreDucks01284
Senior

Post by OreDucks01284 »

duck55 wrote:
Isn't that what a lot of posters on this board are crying about - that the Ducks didn't pour it on today when we were up 42-18 at 8 minutes left?

Umm, Our reactions is more like ''Wtf are you doing, Coaches'', I expected to see long drive to milk out clock (like we did last 9 min against CAL in 2011 path to National championship) and leave score 42-18 to end game but no Frost decide to go down middle with Tyner 3 time, A quick 3 and out! really? Now fast forward to last drive of the game today, Freeman with same plays, he actually moved the chain. Thats what I was looking for in beginning of 4th quarter.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

duck55 wrote:
LOL big difference between running up the score and not inviting your opponents to score.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

We are now in the era of no mercy. Style points count, just getting a win is no longer good enough! Pour it the hell on!
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

TualatinDuck wrote:We are now in the era of no mercy. Style points count, just getting a win is no longer good enough! Pour it the hell on!
Style points are less a factor now than in the BCS. This is really simple people. Win the Pac 12 and you're in. I'd say that's 100% with one loss, and 60% with 2 losses.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

FlDuckFan wrote:

What? No , you're reading to much into it . My hate of Tebow was because he played for Florida. I refuse to like anything about Florida.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Well then I apologize for directing the post to you, but it still applies to the many people that hate Tebow personally (including my best friend).