Post by TualatinDuck »

If true, holy s***!
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Re: RUMOR: Uncle Phil making BILLION dollar donation tonight

Post by duck541 »

I've been hearing this for a few weeks now. I posted awhile ago asking if KOD heard anything about it but I don't know if he saw it. Pretty confident it's true. Same source told me about the pink unis and the throwbacks weeks before they were made public.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

i love that it is to be used academically. I cant imagine the impact a billion dollars will have on U of O academically.
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

If the announcement happens tonight as planned I'm going to enjoy throwing it back at the Husky's when they fall back on their academic standing when talking trash. The UO has been and will continue to make serious strides on the academic side.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Wonder if it will be similar to his OHSU Cancer Challenge where it will be a fundraising match or if it is just a straight billion dollar donation?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

It's amazing how much he continues giving, despite all the seemingly ungrateful people at the University, especially the professor who runs UOMatters, Bill Harbaugh. That guy was a dick when I was going there and am surprised the University has continued to put up with him.
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

Even with this donation UOMatters has a pretty negative spin on it. It's pretty crazy. http://www.uomatters.com/
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Harvard has an endowment larger than the GDP of most small to medium sized countries, that any student pays to go to school there is absurd. I "hope" that a gift of this magnitude really goes towards increasing the academic profile of the university, hiring better professors etc and not just a few new buildings for student-athletes.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

That's outstanding! The improvements the UofO has been making academically recently has been outstanding. As a recently graduated accounting student I was a witness to the improvements due to Phil Knight's donation. The business and accounting departments, both undergraduate and graduate, have been making strides. Oregon's undergrad accounting and sports marketing departments are amongst the best in the nation, and if Oregon continues to make improvements academically, that will also benefit athletics, as strong academics always have been something a lot of recruits care about. I'm very glad to see Uncle Phil making this donation.
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

greenyellow wrote:It's amazing how much he continues giving, despite all the seemingly ungrateful people at the University, especially the professor who runs UOMatters, Bill Harbaugh. That guy was a dick when I was going there and am surprised the University has continued to put up with him.
The origins of Nike was founded within the Oregon Track program and Phil Knight has been and will be loyal to the school. That is why the whole "Phil Knight is walking away" is just some honk running his media mouth. This has been in place for years and it wasn't going to happen under state board control. There is an athletic component both short term and long term. One of the first things that will be done athletically is an indoor track facility that will be state of the art. The amount is significant and will be the biggest single donation to a US university.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

rentdodger1 wrote:The origins of Nike was founded within the Oregon Track program and Phil Knight has been and will be loyal to the school. That is why the whole "Phil Knight is walking away" is just some honk running his media mouth. This has been in place for years and it wasn't going to happen under state board control. There is an athletic component both short term and long term. One of the first things that will be done athletically is an indoor track facility that will be state of the art. The amount is significant and will be the biggest single donation to a US university.
That would make sense, we've all been hearing rumors of the mythical indoor facility for a decade now. Last I heard they wanted to put it over by Autzen and the Science factory.

What really interests me is if Phil and others involved still want to see the U of O become a private school?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck07 wrote:
rentdodger1 wrote:The origins of Nike was founded within the Oregon Track program and Phil Knight has been and will be loyal to the school. That is why the whole "Phil Knight is walking away" is just some honk running his media mouth. This has been in place for years and it wasn't going to happen under state board control. There is an athletic component both short term and long term. One of the first things that will be done athletically is an indoor track facility that will be state of the art. The amount is significant and will be the biggest single donation to a US university.
That would make sense, we've all been hearing rumors of the mythical indoor facility for a decade now. Last I heard they wanted to put it over by Autzen and the Science factory.

What really interests me is if Phil and others involved still want to see the U of O become a private school?
Me too! I mean they kinda almost are, and if they do become a private school that will only have a positive impact on the perception of the UofO. I sure hope it happens.
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

Duck07 wrote:

I believe that the land originally targeted was immediately south of Hayward Field. I highly doubt that UO would become a private institution. The legal implications alone would kill it and I'm not sure there is a recent historical case study that is out there of a major university going from a state controlled public university to privately held.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

With $1 Billion, they can do anything.