RUMOR: Uncle Phil making BILLION dollar donation tonight

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: RUMOR: Uncle Phil making BILLION dollar donation tonight

Post by Duck07 »

rentdodger1 wrote: I believe that the land originally targeted was immediately south of Hayward Field. I highly doubt that UO would become a private institution. The legal implications alone would kill it and I'm not sure there is a recent historical case study that is out there of a major university going from a state controlled public university to privately held.
Well Richard Lariviere was trying to make that happen a few years ago and we saw how fast they canned him! Obviously the state doesn't like it but the University has to protect itself from the whims of state legislature/funding too.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

rentdodger1 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
rentdodger1 wrote:The origins of Nike was founded within the Oregon Track program and Phil Knight has been and will be loyal to the school. That is why the whole "Phil Knight is walking away" is just some honk running his media mouth. This has been in place for years and it wasn't going to happen under state board control. There is an athletic component both short term and long term. One of the first things that will be done athletically is an indoor track facility that will be state of the art. The amount is significant and will be the biggest single donation to a US university.
That would make sense, we've all been hearing rumors of the mythical indoor facility for a decade now. Last I heard they wanted to put it over by Autzen and the Science factory.

What really interests me is if Phil and others involved still want to see the U of O become a private school?
I believe that the land originally targeted was immediately south of Hayward Field. I highly doubt that UO would become a private institution. The legal implications alone would kill it and I'm not sure there is a recent historical case study that is out there of a major university going from a state controlled public university to privately held.
State funding only made up 4 or 5% of university operating expenses last year and with a donation like this, it'll cause that to decrease. Plus out of state and international student rates are rising, to the point where there might be more out of state and international students right now than in state students. As of the fall term in 2013, almost 47% of students were out of state are international. That number has been rising and I don't see why it won't stop.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

If the university became private I bet in-state tuition would end. Just something to consider.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Tray Dub wrote:If the university became private I bet in-state tuition would end. Just something to consider.
True, but with more and more out of state and international students coming, it'll be less of a factor than it used to be.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

I'm probably going a little nuts here, but if this IS a donation from Uncle Phil of unprecedented size directed largely towards UO academics, I totally love the timing. In line with a previous poster on this thread, I love the thought of the UW, on the evening before the game, already feeling imminent defeat in the academic arena to the UO just before they meet the Ducks on the field. Wonder if it could hype up the Duck football team even more as well.
ducksvb6
Three Star Recruit

Post by ducksvb6 »

Did anyone notice the "?" mark? The article is unfounded speculation by 247 Sports. They should stick to sports.

What you can count on is the largest non-profit campaign in Oregon history. Based on UO's last campaign that generated over $800+M this one will have a "B" after the amount. This campaign just complete the silent period that lasted over four years. When the campaign goal is announced tonight please celebrate the alumni and friends that have already given and created a fantastic legacy.

The future is bright..Go Ducks!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Greenblood wrote:I'm probably going a little nuts here, but if this IS a donation from Uncle Phil of unprecedented size directed largely towards UO academics, I totally love the timing. In line with a previous poster on this thread, I love the thought of the UW, on the evening before the game, already feeling imminent defeat in the academic arena to the UO just before they meet the Ducks on the field. Wonder if it could hype up the Duck football team even more as well.
Hey Scott Woodward, you like Apples? :lol:

In case nobody is picking up on that. This was in 2008 pre-game.
Last edited by Duck07 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
rentdodger1 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
rentdodger1 wrote:The origins of Nike was founded within the Oregon Track program and Phil Knight has been and will be loyal to the school. That is why the whole "Phil Knight is walking away" is just some honk running his media mouth. This has been in place for years and it wasn't going to happen under state board control. There is an athletic component both short term and long term. One of the first things that will be done athletically is an indoor track facility that will be state of the art. The amount is significant and will be the biggest single donation to a US university.
That would make sense, we've all been hearing rumors of the mythical indoor facility for a decade now. Last I heard they wanted to put it over by Autzen and the Science factory.

What really interests me is if Phil and others involved still want to see the U of O become a private school?
I believe that the land originally targeted was immediately south of Hayward Field. I highly doubt that UO would become a private institution. The legal implications alone would kill it and I'm not sure there is a recent historical case study that is out there of a major university going from a state controlled public university to privately held.
State funding only made up 4 or 5% of university operating expenses last year and with a donation like this, it'll cause that to decrease. Plus out of state and international student rates are rising, to the point where there might be more out of state and international students right now than in state students. As of the fall term in 2013, almost 47% of students were out of state are international. That number has been rising and I don't see why it won't stop.
Who owns the university assets? The state. What value would they bring for a private acquisition? If your an accountant, think about the cost of asset acquisition by itself to privatize the university. It would be a big number, and that doesn't consider the political ramifications. Much easier to have a controlling board of individuals that work as a team with major funding groups and individuals to upgrade.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

ducksvb6 wrote:Did anyone notice the "?" mark? The article is unfounded speculation by 247 Sports. They should stick to sports.

What you can count on is the largest non-profit campaign in Oregon history. Based on UO's last campaign that generated over $800+M this one will have a "B" after the amount. This campaign just complete the silent period that lasted over four years. When the campaign goal is announced tonight please celebrate the alumni and friends that have already given and created a fantastic legacy.

The future is bright..Go Ducks!
Wasn't the first one called Project Oregon? IIRC the goal then was for a 1B so surpassing that tonight would be amazing.

Shoot, might be time for me to head back to Eugene, might have to hit up Duck24 and others for a Beer Scavenger Hunt while I'm there!
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:If the university became private I bet in-state tuition would end. Just something to consider.
True, but with more and more out of state and international students coming, it'll be less of a factor than it used to be.
I guess, but it also means a large proportion of the local kids who go to the U of O won't be able to anymore. The most students still come from Oregon, and that would change drastically.
frogsnouts
Three Star Recruit

Post by frogsnouts »

I don't know if any of you have seen the tent in question, but its pretty nice and looks set for something really important. I've been here two years and I haven't seen UO put anything like this together for any event so far.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/blo ... paign.html

Sounds like it's not happening and it's just an announcement for a fundraising campaign.
KingofDucks
Four Star Recruit

Post by KingofDucks »

I had heard some whispers, but never a dollar amount. Just that it was big. If this comes to fruition, it's HUGE for the university.
ducksvb6
Three Star Recruit

Post by ducksvb6 »

The announced campaign goal is $2B. Approximately $800M was raised over the past four years during the quite phase of the campaign.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

That is a lot of money, hopefully it gets put to good use.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13