Congrats to Helfrich

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Re: Congrats to Helfrich

Post by Tray Dub »

buckmarkduck wrote:We have a ton coming back next year. The starting Qb has to effectively just be a PG. No one will be asking him to win games, just get the ball to your talented teammates, and allow them to do their thing. Btw next years WR core is going to be sick, maybe the best ever at UO. Alex O and Lovette (a faster Marshall IMO), are both studs who will only make our depth better.
I dunno man, I don't think a starting QB can ever not be asked to win games. Distributing the ball is what wins games. If our QB is just average next year, no way our offense is going to avoid taking a big step back. WRs can make a QB's job easier, but fundamentally it's about the job the QB does.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

If our QB is just average next year, no way our offense is going to avoid taking a big step back. WRs can make a QB's job easier, but fundamentally it's about the job the QB does.
Let's not forget, though, that our QB during the most prolific years in Oregon history was not Marcus Mariota or Joey Harrington, but Darron Thomas... a guy who couldn't even become a regular starter in the arena football league.

So while we need a good QB (which Darron totally was), we don't need a guy of Mariota's insane caliber to contend for a national title. Sure, MM is awesome (and we'll all miss him), but we just need a good QB who knows how to run the offense.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

pezsez1 wrote:
If our QB is just average next year, no way our offense is going to avoid taking a big step back. WRs can make a QB's job easier, but fundamentally it's about the job the QB does.
Let's not forget, though, that our QB during the most prolific years in Oregon history was not Marcus Mariota or Joey Harrington, but Darron Thomas... a guy who couldn't even become a regular starter in the arena football league.

So while we need a good QB (which Darron totally was), we don't need a guy of Mariota's insane caliber to contend for a national title. Sure, MM is awesome (and we'll all miss him), but we just need a good QB who knows how to run the offense.
Holmgren was asked about the spread one time, and he told a story of how DT ( who was in Cleveland while Mike was GM) broke it down for him. The host asked why DT didn't make the Browns, and he said he couldn't throw the ball. Not that DT was bad, he made great decisions, but talent wise he ran a 4.9 40 and couldn't even make the Browns practice squad.

We have won with Masoli and DT, Lockie isn't anything special, but he seems to be efficient. MM2 has had some injuries this year, but he seems to have all the tools we want, but who knows if he can make it an entire year. The 3rd possibility is the most intriguing IMHO, but he will only be a true Fr. Travis Waller has look very impressive in the game film I've seen this year, the kid looks like another Dixon and Mariota. Fast with a big arm, but it's tough to win with a true Fr.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

DT also didn't fumble on the fakes.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

DD still seems like our best QB on fakes in the modern-era. I made a drinking game for every time the camera lost the actual ball when DD was running a fake. It was awesome.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

5$ wrote:DD still seems like our best QB on fakes in the modern-era. I made a drinking game for every time the camera lost the actual ball when DD was running a fake. It was awesome.
A lot of DD's astounding fake ability was that we and the cameramen were less familiar with the offense. When I go back and view the games now, his Houdini-ness isn't as stunning when I first viewed it. Still very good and his huge hands were quite an asset.