Areas of concerrn

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GoDucksIn09
Senior

Areas of concerrn

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Oregon looked better tonight than it has for quite a few weeks. However with that being said the defense still has room for more improvement. I counted 7 3rd down conversions in a row that the huskies made. During that time they had 3rd and 10, 3rd and 8, and 3rd and 11. Plus others. Oregon needs to find ways to get their defense off the field and get the ball back to the offense. Some credit can be given to the huskies for making some great plays but with Stanford on the horizon and the problem we had getting off the field against them Pellum needs to put lots more emphasis on his defense getting off the field when they have that chance.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Areas of concerrn

Post by Phenom »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:Oregon looked better tonight than it has for quite a few weeks. However with that being said the defense still has room for more improvement. I counted 7 3rd down conversions in a row that the huskies made. During that time they had 3rd and 10, 3rd and 8, and 3rd and 11. Plus others. Oregon needs to find ways to get their defense off the field and get the ball back to the offense. Some credit can be given to the huskies for making some great plays but with Stanford on the horizon and the problem we had getting off the field against them Pellum needs to put lots more emphasis on his defense getting off the field when they have that chance.
Scrambling QBs are a pain in the ass...
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

We can't even go 24 hours before complaining "its not good enough"? Come on man, it was a great win and the defense was solid. I'll take it.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

There is one common theme on 3rd down, that has been taken out of the equation on 1-2 downs. Anyone care to guess what that is? It's Malone, and his guy catching the ball and running for a first down before he finally tackles him.

That said our D has improved a ton since UA, and I know they will continue to improve the rest of the year. It was also nice seeing the yourg guys on D lay the wood, guys like Tyree, Austin, Henry M (or Hart Jr, because he plays just like him, but is more athletic) and Mattingly. Another guy who struggled early in the year, but has seemed to get better is Chris Seisay.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

QuackininBama wrote:We can't even go 24 hours before complaining "its not good enough"? Come on man, it was a great win and the defense was solid. I'll take it.
Agree 100%, enjoy the win
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I did enjoy the win. When is converting 7 3rd downs in a row some of which were long 3rd downs ok. Last year against Stanford we had the same issue. Wins and losses there are always things need to work and improve on. Take a look for a moment and look where Oregon ranks in defense on teams converting 3rd downs and tell me that is not something we need to improve on.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I did enjoy the win. When is converting 7 3rd downs in a row some of which were long 3rd downs ok. Last year against Stanford we had the same issue. Wins and losses there are always things need to work and improve on. Take a look for a moment and look where Oregon ranks in defense on teams converting 3rd downs and tell me that is not something we need to improve on.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

3rd down stops are, and have been our Acheliie's (sp?) heel. And really is the single biggest issue that keeps me from thinking we are elite. If our offense ever stalls, the issue is magnified 10 fold. That being said, every team has a chink in their armor. Third down D seems to be ours and it feels like death by a thousand cuts at times. We tighten it up just a little bit in the coming weeks and we will be a serious force to be reckoned with in the end.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

buckmarkduck wrote:There is one common theme on 3rd down, that has been taken out of the equation on 1-2 downs. Anyone care to guess what that is? It's Malone, and his guy catching the ball and running for a first down before he finally tackles him.

That said our D has improved a ton since UA, and I know they will continue to improve the rest of the year. It was also nice seeing the yourg guys on D lay the wood, guys like Tyree, Austin, Henry M (or Hart Jr, because he plays just like him, but is more athletic) and Mattingly. Another guy who struggled early in the year, but has seemed to get better is Chris Seisay.
Eh...3rd down struggles have more to do with scheme than players. Missed tackles weren't nearly as big of a deal, it was rushing three and giving 10 yard cushions on 3rd down.

On the topic of defense, where is Ifo from the past two seasons? He might have cost himself some serious guaranteed money this year.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Duck24 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:There is one common theme on 3rd down, that has been taken out of the equation on 1-2 downs. Anyone care to guess what that is? It's Malone, and his guy catching the ball and running for a first down before he finally tackles him.

Eh...3rd down struggles have more to do with scheme than players. Missed tackles weren't nearly as big of a deal, it was rushing three and giving 10 yard cushions on 3rd down.

On the topic of defense, where is Ifo from the past two seasons? He might have cost himself some serious guaranteed money this year.
Ehhh? Hes playing excellent from what I can see and is currently projected to be drafted mid to late 1st.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

QuackininBama wrote:
Duck24 wrote:

Ehhh? Hes playing excellent from what I can see and is currently projected to be drafted mid to late 1st.
Eh, must be watching different players. He's made some big plays for us but he's also been torched on numerous occasions. I guess I was expecting more from him. He's been good but I don't remember him getting abused in the past like he was against Wazzu and Arizona. Curious how many TD's he has given up this season versus the past two years.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I was a little upset with the D in the 3rd quarter for not containing the QB and letting him scramble like that. The DE's showed a lack of discipline and where is a spy? Of course he's gonna run, he had a tough day throwing the ball and he's very mobile. Just was frustrating to see that.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I was a little upset with the D in the 3rd quarter for not containing the QB and letting him scramble like that. The DE's showed a lack of discipline and where is a spy? Of course he's gonna run, he had a tough day throwing the ball and he's very mobile. Just was frustrating to see that.
Maybe so but keep in mind, it was 28-6 at halftime and we held them to 27 yards rushing. We come right out and score again in the 3rd to make it 35-6, that's ballgame. So if we didn't play our best D in the 3rd/4th, so what? Its also possible up 35-6 Pellum started rotating in 2nd/3rd string guys to get them some experience.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

The biggest issue on 3rd down and long is our inability to create either a pocket to force the QB to step up in to throw or what we do know where we bring pressure from 1 side which creates a massive gap for a qb/back/wr to get the ball and the necessary yards and fail to put anybody in that void.

The easiest way to sum this up - we don't have a nickel defense, such as running a 43 under on 3rd and long where Tony Washington is now playing with his hand down. I know a lot of comparisons to Philly get used and Chip has absolutely kept 43 DEs like Brandon Graham and Trent Cole on the team because of 3rd down situations where you need stops. They might be out of place still in pass coverage but they can get to the QB. When we bring 3 (or a late 4th) it only helps the OL out because they have more time to see what's going on.

Which brings me to...STOP RUNNING THE AMOEBA FRONT ALREADY.

And yes, for anyone who really wants to bitch at those of us who still expect more from the defense; yes, that was our first complete game last night.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Duck24 wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:
Duck24 wrote:

Eh, must be watching different players. He's made some big plays for us but he's also been torched on numerous occasions. I guess I was expecting more from him. He's been good but I don't remember him getting abused in the past like he was against Wazzu and Arizona. Curious how many TD's he has given up this season versus the past two years.
I think Ifos been pretty effin good in coverage but I've been disappointed in his tackling.