Tyner

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Re: Tyner

Post by QuackininBama »

SuperDuck wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:I don't think anyone has "turned" on Tyner... we all want him to be great, and we believe he can get better.

It's just undeniable though that he hasn't gotten much better since last season, and meanwhile, Royce Freeman is already playing like an upperclassman.

I'm pulling for Tyner. I'm surprised he isn't playing at a higher level.
This^^^^
This^^^^
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Tyner has actually play significantly better the last 2 games (especially UCLA). I think at the beginning of the season he was trying to do too much so that he could lock up the starting spot, but his play was horrible as a result. If he can continue to improve on his vision, limit his hesitation before the line, and set up blocks better (like we saw against UCLA) he can become a special back.

Unfortunately, Freeman is improving these aspects of his game at a quicker rate.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

dd10snoop28 wrote:Tyner has actually play significantly better the last 2 games (especially UCLA). I think at the beginning of the season he was trying to do too much so that he could lock up the starting spot, but his play was horrible as a result. If he can continue to improve on his vision, limit his hesitation before the line, and set up blocks better (like we saw against UCLA) he can become a special back.

Unfortunately, Freeman is improving these aspects of his game at a quicker rate.
There was one play against UCLA where he ran so hard and quick through the hole it was shocking. If he can continue with that purpose of mind, he'll reach that potential. There's a reason the staff keeps saying they prefer the by committee approach. I think he's just about turned the corner. The timing of the injury this past game must have been frustrating to some degree. I hope he can keep a positive attitude and just be himself. If so, he will get to where we all hope he does.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

Honestly I think the OL play has gotten better each week also. Vision and decisiveness aside, I was underwhelmed by any of the holes that they were opening the 1st couple weeks of the season.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

bellsduck wrote:Honestly I think the OL play has gotten better each week also. Vision and decisiveness aside, I was underwhelmed by any of the holes that they were opening the 1st couple weeks of the season.
While this is true, this is also why you need a RB who can force the issue at times by getting the hard yards. Everyone on the team can run through the big holes, if you want to be The Man, you better learn to make your own holes sometimes and this is where he is behind Byron and Royce.

Any update on his shoulder injury?
duxforlyfe
Three Star Recruit

Post by duxforlyfe »

Duck07 wrote:
bellsduck wrote:Honestly I think the OL play has gotten better each week also. Vision and decisiveness aside, I was underwhelmed by any of the holes that they were opening the 1st couple weeks of the season.
While this is true, this is also why you need a RB who can force the issue at times by getting the hard yards. Everyone on the team can run through the big holes, if you want to be The Man, you better learn to make your own holes sometimes and this is where he is behind Byron and Royce.

Any update on his shoulder injury?
I agree, royce seems to always get yards by fighting for every one of them. He is always trying to push the pile, but at the same time he is also significantly bigger than tyner. tyner will get better, but we have royce for a couple more years who hasnt fumbled or been injured.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

duck541 wrote:Crazy how people have turned on Tyner. I remember when the hype around him was similar to that of Freeman.

I think he ran really well the last two games (UW not included). He was finishing off runs like never before and seemed to turn the corner a bit. He still doesn't have great vision or is the most powerful runner but he was running hard and being a little more decisive. He obviously got hurt on the kickoff and that's why Bassett played. But good for Bassett running the way he did, Campbell is a hell of a coach.
I was watching an RB who wasn't Marshall of Freeman, and he was making great cuts and getting into the secondary, and I thought Tyner had suddenly improved, and then I realized it was Kenny Bassett, the walk-on. I get that Tyner had a lot of hype coming out of high school, but some guys don't make the transition to college as well as others. Tyner could still turn it around, but currently, he just doesn't look like an Oregon-caliber starting running back to me. When he signed with Oregon, his camp kind of acted like they were doing the ducks a favor. Now, the opposite appears to be closer to the reality. It seems unlikely that he will head to the NFL after his junior season, and I am skeptical that he will make the NFL at all. We'll see. At this point, we are hoping that he is just a late-bloomer.
cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Post by cmmadness »

So glad this kid showed up last night. On both of those touchdowns he looked like a different player.
Love the way he was hitting the hole; and on that first touchdown, having the patience to find it and
twist his way into the endzone.

The future is beyond bright: Marshall, Freeman, Tyner, Charles Nelson, Tony James, and by next year
a healthy Taj Griffin. So much talent and so few footballs. :)
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

cmmadness wrote:So glad this kid showed up last night. On both of those touchdowns he looked like a different player.
Love the way he was hitting the hole; and on that first touchdown, having the patience to find it and
twist his way into the endzone.

The future is beyond bright: Marshall, Freeman, Tyner, Charles Nelson, Tony James, and by next year
a healthy Taj Griffin. So much talent and so few footballs. :)
Agreed. Tyner looked much better in the few carries that we saw. Here's hoping for more of that in the coming weeks.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Holy mackerel!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Crsoby pancaked that dude. Dude is going to be so so good. Bookend.

But on Tyner, impressive all night long. I had a feeling it was coming as he was starting to play better before he was injured.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

We may be reaching new levels with speed combined with power. We used to have horrible weak OLines but we don't anymore, and we also a have some big powerful RB's. I love seeing what Oregon is becoming! Hopefully we're impressing defensive recruits and can start building up a stout defense.
Last edited by OregonFan4Life on Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:We may be reaching new levels with speed combined with power. We used to have horrible weak OLines but we don't anymore, and we also a have some big powerful RB's. I love seeing what Oregon is becoming! Hopefully we're impressingdefensive recruits and can start building up a stout defense.
This is actually a really good point. Once we actually have our lines tuned to what we want, and fix our LB problems, Oregon will be a pretty physical team in the trenches, without losing their skill player speed.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:We may be reaching new levels with speed combined with power. We used to have horrible weak OLines but we don't anymore, and we also a have some big powerful RB's. I love seeing what Oregon is becoming! Hopefully we're impressingdefensive recruits and can start building up a stout defense.
This is actually a really good point. Once we actually have our lines tuned to what we want, and fix our LB problems, Oregon will be a pretty physical team in the trenches, without losing their skill player speed.
Exactly! And we're getting more NFL calibre players, and we really have Chip to thank for that. We no longer have what's perceived as a "gimmick" offense and now that the NFL is running this offense, opposing coaches can't use the "Oregon won't prepare you for the NFL" recruiting tactics anymore. If we have a good QB, then i think in 2016 we may have the best team ever in Oregon history. There is a lot of really good young talent currently at Oregon and coming to Oregon.
fpsduck
Senior

Post by fpsduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:

Holy mackerel!

Gus. :lol: