Tyner

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

picksix
Three Star Recruit

Tyner

Post by picksix »

Don't like him as a kick returner. Do not like his running style right now... just runs straight ahead... no jukes or anything. Is he hurt? Is he unhappy that Freeman is better than him, therefor losing playing time?? Tyner is not right and I would like too know what's up?
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: Tyner

Post by pezsez1 »

The way he ran straight into Shaq Thompson on the opening kickoff was just bizarre. I agree... definitely do not like him returning kicks. Our special teams unit is definitely missing Bralon Addison.

He's had some better runs the past two games though, and he's also pretty good at running screens.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

pezsez1 wrote:The way he ran straight into Shaq Thompson on the opening kickoff was just bizarre. I agree... definitely do not like him returning kicks. Our special teams unit is definitely missing Bralon Addison.

He's had some better runs the past two games though, and he's also pretty good at running screens.
Tyner is great when he has a ton of room, like on screens. When he has to find a hole it's like his brain turns off and he just kind of runs with no purpose to wherever everyone else is. Until he develops some vision the coaches need to have a very specialized role for him (like screens) and stop wasting carries on him running into the backs of our o-lineman.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I would describe it as he relies far too much on his speed to get him out of things. He has the tools, he just has to put it all together.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

He got hurt against UW so that game should be ignored but I would agree that he isn't suited for kickoff returns. JStew struggled with vision as well and was relegated to kickoffs and backup RB his first two seasons. Let's hope that Campbell does as well with Tyner as he did with Stewart.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

How is Tyner btw?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Did anyone else think that Kenny Bassett looked better than Tyner on Saturday?
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Random thought, but I actually wonder if Tyner may transfer after this season.

I know it's easy to dismiss these claims as silly/outlandish, but there have been multiple reports of him weighing his options in the past... and that was while he was still the clear cut heir-apparent.

Now he's got Freeman firmly entrenched in front of him, and next season he'll have Taj Griffin to deal with, too. The fact that Bassett is taking carries from him can't be too good of a sign.

I have faith in Tyner to develop into a great RB, but I've got to wonder if the thought of leaving is (again) crossing is mind.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

pezsez1 wrote:Random thought, but I actually wonder if Tyner may transfer after this season.

I know it's easy to dismiss these claims as silly/outlandish, but there have been multiple reports of him weighing his options in the past... and that was while he was still the clear cut heir-apparent.

Now he's got Freeman firmly entrenched in front of him, and next season he'll have Taj Griffin to deal with, too. The fact that Bassett is taking carries from him can't be too good of a sign.

I have faith in Tyner to develop into a great RB, but I've got to wonder if the thought of leaving is (again) crossing is mind.
Bassett was only in the game because Tyner was unavailable due to either a shoulder injury or possible concussion. If he were able to go, Tyner would have been the one in there.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Oh, I didn't realize he got dinged again beyond the opening kickoff.

Still, though, I have to wonder what's going through his head. Before setting foot on the field as a Duck, the Oregonian reported that his goal was to play for three years and then go to the NFL. This young man clearly has big ambitions, but those ambitions won't be realized (at least according to his schedule) unless he can earn more playing time. As much as I believe Tyner can continue to develop, I also think Freeman has room for growth (SCARY). And we haven't even seen Griffin yet.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

pezsez1 wrote:Random thought, but I actually wonder if Tyner may transfer after this season.

The same thing crossed my mind. He hasn't burned his redshirt year, right? So if he transferred he'd still have 2 years of eligibility.

The thing with Tyner is he seems to have regressed. Last year he looked like he was going to be the starter this season over Marshall, but he's just not hitting the hole like he was. Too much dancing. He's obviously doing well in practice since the coaches were comfortable moving Marshall to wide receiver. I thought that was supposed to be a full time deal? Maybe he was just back there because Tyner was hurt?

I hope he doesn't decide to leave. He has a lot of potential. Still, he's got to do what's best for him. We'll have to wait and see.
John 3:36
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

The thing with Tyner is he seems to have regressed. Last year he looked like he was going to be the starter this season over Marshall, but he's just not hitting the hole like he was. Too much dancing. He's obviously doing well in practice since the coaches were comfortable moving Marshall to wide receiver. I thought that was supposed to be a full time deal? Maybe he was just back there because Tyner was hurt?
Tyner actually reminds me a lot of Bryan Bennett.

Bennett looked great when we saw him early on, so much so that a large number of people were lobbying for him to start after DT left. Even after Mariota's first great spring game, there was lots of debate over who would be the better QB. Bennett just showed so much potential the previous year.

However, Bennett didn't look like the same guy after that season started. His best plays were his "Bane" package plays with Colt. During his times to take normal reps, he looked surprisingly ordinary/unmotivated compared to what we saw the previous season. Then, at the end of the season, he left. Nothing against Bennett, but he was probably distracted by thinking about his future.

Of course, there's no way to know what's going on in Tyner's mind... but given his circumstances and what I see from him on the field, I can't help but draw that comparison.
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

Crazy how people have turned on Tyner. I remember when the hype around him was similar to that of Freeman.

I think he ran really well the last two games (UW not included). He was finishing off runs like never before and seemed to turn the corner a bit. He still doesn't have great vision or is the most powerful runner but he was running hard and being a little more decisive. He obviously got hurt on the kickoff and that's why Bassett played. But good for Bassett running the way he did, Campbell is a hell of a coach.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I don't think anyone has "turned" on Tyner... we all want him to be great, and we believe he can get better.

It's just undeniable though that he hasn't gotten much better since last season, and meanwhile, Royce Freeman is already playing like an upperclassman.

I'm pulling for Tyner. I'm surprised he isn't playing at a higher level.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

pezsez1 wrote:I don't think anyone has "turned" on Tyner... we all want him to be great, and we believe he can get better.

It's just undeniable though that he hasn't gotten much better since last season, and meanwhile, Royce Freeman is already playing like an upperclassman.

I'm pulling for Tyner. I'm surprised he isn't playing at a higher level.
This^^^^
John 3:36