#6 Oregon vs California (Levi's Stadium)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: #6 Oregon vs California (Levi's Stadium)

Post by Duck07 »

Color it however you like, the rushing defense tonight was bad. I understand Cal being able to pass the ball but to see them put up this many yards on the ground is part of what makes this game a poor showing by the defense. Especially when you consider we stayed in our 34 personnel most of the game.

We knew going into the game how often Cal uses what packages/personnel most often so not seeing any more DBs on the field tonight was glaring. If you're going to stay "big" with all of the LBs, than you would expect the defense to be strong against the run.

As for some positives, whenever we did bring 5+ we were effective and usually 4 rushers were able to create some good pressure and one short scramble saw a big hit on Goff.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

pezsez1 wrote:
You're absolutely delusional if you think we are going to win out with this defense.
Oh, we ARE going to win out with this defense. 8-)

Our offense really needs to learn how to play in the third quarter, though.

:D :) Yes! But damn they play scary
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Prevot got two sacks. Good for him. Love his improvement.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

rockthief wrote:Prevot got two sacks. Good for him. Love his improvement.
with limited snaps too.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

rockthief wrote:Prevot got two sacks. Good for him. Love his improvement.
Definitely think he and Walker are the two best LB's on the team.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Yes, I like Walker
s intensity. Glad to have him. Looking forward to great D against Stanford. Seems we have some hurt players to heal these next days.
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm............Negative Nancy's, just a thought here.

1. Short week to prepare
2. GAME ON THE ROAD
3. Injuries (especially to Armstead)
4. Late night game
5. GAME ON THE ROAD
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

We might win the Pac 12 but is no way will win in the playoffs. The defense is just way to suspect and way to inconsistent. They have yet to play a whole game. Their best game which was last week we still allowed the dawgs to convert 7 3rd down conversions in a row. They played pretty decent against the dawgs will give them credit for that. People can say yards do not mean anything but we have already seen that if play a team that can stop our offense... then our defense is not good enough to win the game.

When we went undefeated in 2010 we had a real good solid defense that took advantage of opponents trying to keep up with Oregon and their offense. Cal almost beat us that year but our defense was largely responsible for us winning that game. I do not see any game where I feel confident in our defense being able to eek out a victory if our offense struggles. Take a look at Ole Miss or Miss State and tell me their defense can not win a game for them if the offense struggles. Defense continues to win championships in all sports. Quite simply our defense can not win a championship or any game for that matter. ESPN had a stat a couple weeks ago. I forget the exact numbers but it was over the last 5 years or so, if are able to hold Oregon to under 30 points Oregon has lost every game except for 1. If we make it to the playoffs we will likely be held to under 30 points. If that stat continues to hold true we can add one more loss to it. Might also take a look at Ole Miss or Miss State and see how their defenses compare to the defense the Ducks have. We have serious issues when it comes to our defense. We are 7-1 and now we get to play Stanford.
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
duck55 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:If I had one word to describe this defense, it'd be inconsistent.
Probably the best way to describe it. They have moments of greatness and then go through stretches of looking plain lost. I think it happens with so many young guys playing.
More than that, this defense looked far better against UCLA and Washington, but this looks nowhere near a playoff defense tonight.
Tell us how you really feel.
Dude, waste of a post. Getting tired of dumb insulting posts like this. Don't agree, post your opinion. I believe the defense we saw TONIGHT was not a playoff defense. Care to dispute that,
Since you asked, I fail to see how my one post was any more of a "waste of a post" than your numerous posts saying the same thing. Did the defense play their best game tonight? I think we can all agree they did not. Are they a playoff defense? That is only a speculation as the games and playoffs are played by entire teams, not just one faction. Lastly, if you felt my post was "dumb and/or insulting", I can only offer that was not the intent.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

MFRDuckFan wrote:Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm............Negative Nancy's, just a thought here.

1. Short week to prepare
2. GAME ON THE ROAD
4. Late night game
5. GAME ON THE ROAD
Love the positivity, but it doesn't change the facts that our d has been having issues all year long. But like I said before, the SEC supposed powers, are closer to UCLA on O, then they are to UA, Cal or WSU.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

We might win the Pac 12 but is no way will win in the playoffs.
As long as whoever we face is on the same level as Michigan State (or worse), we'll be fine.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Nailed it.

I don't want excuses about talent either. DP recruited most of these LBers.
GoDucksIn09 wrote:We might win the Pac 12 but is no way will win in the playoffs. The defense is just way to suspect and way to inconsistent. They have yet to play a whole game. Their best game which was last week we still allowed the dawgs to convert 7 3rd down conversions in a row. They played pretty decent against the dawgs will give them credit for that. People can say yards do not mean anything but we have already seen that if play a team that can stop our offense... then our defense is not good enough to win the game.

When we went undefeated in 2010 we had a real good solid defense that took advantage of opponents trying to keep up with Oregon and their offense. Cal almost beat us that year but our defense was largely responsible for us winning that game. I do not see any game where I feel confident in our defense being able to eek out a victory if our offense struggles. Take a look at Ole Miss or Miss State and tell me their defense can not win a game for them if the offense struggles. Defense continues to win championships in all sports. Quite simply our defense can not win a championship or any game for that matter. ESPN had a stat a couple weeks ago. I forget the exact numbers but it was over the last 5 years or so, if are able to hold Oregon to under 30 points Oregon has lost every game except for 1. If we make it to the playoffs we will likely be held to under 30 points. If that stat continues to hold true we can add one more loss to it. Might also take a look at Ole Miss or Miss State and see how their defenses compare to the defense the Ducks have. We have serious issues when it comes to our defense. We are 7-1 and now we get to play Stanford.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

duck55 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
duck55 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:If I had one word to describe this defense, it'd be inconsistent.
Probably the best way to describe it. They have moments of greatness and then go through stretches of looking plain lost. I think it happens with so many young guys playing.
More than that, this defense looked far better against UCLA and Washington, but this looks nowhere near a playoff defense tonight.
Tell us how you really feel.
Dude, waste of a post. Getting tired of dumb insulting posts like this. Don't agree, post your opinion. I believe the defense we saw TONIGHT was not a playoff defense. Care to dispute that,
Since you asked, I fail to see how my one post was any more of a "waste of a post" than your numerous posts saying the same thing. Did the defense play their best game tonight? I think we can all agree they did not. Are they a playoff defense? That is only a speculation as the games and playoffs are played by entire teams, not just one faction. Lastly, if you felt my post was "dumb and/or insulting", I can only offer that was not the intent.
OK, glad to hear that, that was how I read it. Good to know that wasn't your intentions.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

MFRDuckFan wrote:Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm............Negative Nancy's, just a thought here.

1. Short week to prepare
2. GAME ON THE ROAD
4. Late night game
5. GAME ON THE ROAD
This is why I thought this game would be a tough one. Plus, Cal is a dangerous team that worried me a bit due to their offense. Luckily their defense has nowhere near the ability to stop an offense as talented as Oregon's. I'm just glad Oregon got out of this game with a win since I absolutely hate when they play non-Saturday games since they always feel like trap games.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Quite simply our defense can not win a championship or any game for that matter.
This line of thinking just needs to die.

Our offense gets way too much credit. Take the MSU game for example. We ended up winning by 20, but our offense and special teams choked in the second quarter, providing a HUGE assist leading to two MSU touchdowns, paving the way for MSU's third-quarter lead. During that third quarter, the offense came out sputtering, but the defense forced MSU off the field, keeping the game "in hand" and giving our offense a chance to regroup.

Without a good defense, we would have lost to the Spartans.

The same is true about the Washington State game. Our defense played plenty good enough for us to win that game comfortably, but our offense simply couldn't do crap for most of the night.

This is a storyline that's played out repeatedly over the past several seasons (the National Championship game says hello). Yet, no matter how many times our D holds things down until the O gets it together, people always seem obsessed with blaming the defense.

I'm not saying our D is playing amazing football. Obviously, there are issues.... and, like it or not, some of our players just aren't very good. It happens. Some guys just don't pan out. However, our D isn't this giant liability that some people are making it out to be. It may not be a huge strength, but that doesn't mean it's a weakness. Our D has been good or great against our best opponents... and in the games where it struggled, it was certainly not done any favors by the offense/special teams.
Willie Taggart is a dick.