Who is your surprise duck football player this season so far

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckfan22
Senior

Who is your surprise duck football player this season so far

Post by duckfan22 »

I was thinking about the season so far and all that's happened. I thought about what
player has surprised me the most. To me it would have to be the guy you didn't think could
play like he has and if you were to take him out of the regular lineup the ducks are not as good.
To me it has to be Byron Marshall. All i have heard before the games started it was Tyner this and Tyner that.
Then Royce gets in the mix. But Byron to me is the guy besides Marcus that we can ill afford to lose. The most
dangerous guy because you can line him up everywhere. He catches almost everything and has enough speed and toughness
to give teams fits. Love his attitude also.
Who is your surprise player this year.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: Who is your surprise duck football player this season so

Post by pezsez1 »

I'd say Troy Hill, followed closely by Marshall.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Ya Hill was in my top two as well...Put Marshall slightly ahead. Troy has played well this year..
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

No Way at all is Byron a surprise. Rushed for 1,000 last year and we already knew he had hands, he's just seeing more passes his way.

Royce is definitely a surprise because nobody realistically thought he could take over the job so soon against Byron and Tyner.

I'd also say Jake Pisarcik because I didn't think he was as close as he is to Cameron Hunt but Ty Crosby is pretty obvious too as he doesn't have the benefit of the RS year.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Defense: Troy Hill

Offense: Devon Allen. I thought he would be good but I did not see him being our leading receiver.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Good surprise: Troy Hill. Looking like Terrance Mitchell so far, he's reliable and won't give up big passing plays. Last year he didn't look all that good but the improvements he made in the offseason were obviously very good.

Bad surprise: Derrick Malone. Hopefully he can play more like he did last year.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Tyner...........I thought he was going to have a MONSTER year and it looks like he regressed instead. I'm starting to think he just doesn't have what it takes to be a superstar at this level.
Maybe I'm wrong, but Walker looks like a stud waiting to happen. He plays with the same aggressiveness as a former Duck we all know and love, Alonso. He races all over the field making plays, but them immediately gets pulled off. Coaches must know something we don't.
cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Post by cmmadness »

I'll answer slightly differently; and I'll go with surprised/pleased:

In no particular order: Marshall, Stanford, Allen, Carrington, Lowe and Brown.

Marcus is making their jobs easier but these guys have accounted for very few drops.
Considering the issues on the O-Line and our earlier difficulties running the ball, these
6 guys are really keping the offense rolling. Crazy that Lowe is the only Senior and
otherwise all are coming back. With Addison returning--this group could do some
amazing things next year.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Devon Allen, Byron Marshall and Troy Hill in that order.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Not surprised that a 1,000 yard rusher from last year is having success.

Offense-Allen Defense-Hill/Walker
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Why is Byron a surprise? He was a very good back last year.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

nogerO wrote:Devon Allen, Byron Marshall and Troy Hill in that order.
Yeah Allen and Hill have both exceeded my expectations. I think Freeman and Marshall have done pretty solid, but nothing exceptional. I think both Allen and Hill's play have gone above and beyond so far.

Also I noticed a post about Walker, but I think I'm more surprised at how the coaches neglected to put him on the field over Malone.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

Yea we all new Marshall was good. But the surprise is that he's a WR now and killing it. No one called that.

My surprise on offense would be the running back position as a whole. Marshall's migration to WR, Tyner's struggles, and Freeman's beasting for a true frosh.

On D I think the biggest surprise to me would be Hill and then maybe Walker. Been very impressed with him and didn't really think it would happen.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Focusing on defense...

Positive: Troy Hill. I figured he would be improved based on preseason reports, but a lot of times those reports don't quite pan out as expected in actual games (see below). Perhaps his most dramatic improvement has come from learning how to avoid pass interference penalties....he used to be an absolute magnet for them. Hopefully he can keep up this superb level of play the rest of the way.

Negative: Arik Armstead (mainly) & DeForest Buckner (to a lesser extent). I don't know if I am really that surprised that Armstead has underachieved yet again since he is a career underachiever, but there was hope he might bust out this season based on preseason reports. Other than a few plays he made against Michigan State, he just hasn't made that many big plays and hasn't had the impact I was hoping for. Buckner is more solid and reliable than Armstead, but he also hasn't made as many big plays as I was hoping for. These two look the part of future NFL players based on measurements, but the production hasn't matched thus far. Hopefully they both start dominating more down the stretch.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Armstead and Buckner have both been good.