Pistol Offense Variations are now part of the Oregon Spread!

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

FishDuck
Three Star Recruit

Pistol Offense Variations are now part of the Oregon Spread!

Post by FishDuck »

This looks like the beginning of a big shift by Coaches Helfrich and Frost in where they are taking the future of the Oregon offense. It is quite fascinating in how well the Pistol blends into what Oregon is doing, and I believe we will see a lot more of it over time. Coaches out there who run the Pistol? Email me charles@fishduck.com and let’s talk further.

As always--read over there and let’s talk about Oregon using the Pistol over here!

http://fishduck.com/2014/10/pistol-offe ... ad-attack/
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Re: Pistol Offense Variations are now part of the Oregon Spr

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Someone should track yards per carry on Piston versus IZ. I would guess the Median average would be higher with Pistol and the Mean average higher with the IZ.

The reason for my speculation stems from watching when Oregon ran quite a bit of pistol with LMJ. It seemed that in defending the Pistol, the defense didn't know the play side and stayed more balanced. This resulted in less runs stuffed play-side than you got in the IZ, thus you always seemed to get something. Conversely you didn't seem to get the huge plays by countering away from a defense that over-committed to the play side of the IZ & OZ plays. I never charted it so it could be a false impression on my part.

I do think it might fit the big body slamming downhill styles of Freeman and Tyner more than the shiftiness of our past backs LMJ, Barner, Dat, Marshall.

It will be interesting to see what the coaches do in trying to get yards per carry up and fix the huge percentage of stuff plays. (Since Freeman became the starter 40% of his carries have been for 2 yards or less.) The team yards per carry is at an all time low, even with a healthy running quarterback.

The injuries to the line have obviously hurt, but the YPG and Stuffs have been below Oregon standards even in the games Fisher has played.

Beyond the o-line, when the backs get into open space they don't seem to explode as much as past backs.

I would still like to see Marshall get close to 10 carries a game.
FishDuck
Three Star Recruit

You nailed it....

Post by FishDuck »

These backs do not have the explosion that KB or LMJ...and I agree with that. Marshall has developed the vision, and Freeman is getting better at it...but none of them have the sub 4.40 speed that LaMichael did.

LMJ was also superb at "bending" in the Inside Zone Read...of cutting back away from over-pursueing LBs coming toward him. It makes us appreciate what we had....

Thanks.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Staying off topic a bit

Freeman is averaging 5.6 yards per attempt.

Marshall is averaging 8.3 yards per attempt. Now we could spin it and say its because of Marshall's low attempts except that he averaged 6.2 yards in over 160 attempts last year.

IMHO, Marshall needs more rushing attempts. 8 - 12 per game. We are missing explosion and elusiveness in the running game and Marshall is a change of pace style to Freeman. Carrington can use more snaps at receiver anyway.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ I would be fine playing Nelson in the slot while Marshall comes in to play RB. We saw a few designed plays for Nelson in Arizona but he hasn't played much outside of that.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:IMHO, Marshall needs more rushing attempts. 8 - 12 per game. We are missing explosion and elusiveness in the running game and Marshall is a change of pace style to Freeman. Carrington can use more snaps at receiver anyway.
Agreed.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Staying off topic a bit

Freeman is averaging 5.6 yards per attempt.

Marshall is averaging 8.3 yards per attempt. Now we could spin it and say its because of Marshall's low attempts except that he averaged 6.2 yards in over 160 attempts last year.

IMHO, Marshall needs more rushing attempts. 8 - 12 per game. We are missing explosion and elusiveness in the running game and Marshall is a change of pace style to Freeman. Carrington can use more snaps at receiver anyway.
But what was Marshall's yards per attempts last year when he did get more carriers? I think I'm fine with the way things are right now. Marshall comes in fresher and seems to be more effective as a change up back.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

UofDuck wrote:But what was Marshall's yards per attempts last year when he did get more carriers?
GrandpaDuck answered this question in his post. Marshall averaged more yards per carry last season (6.2) than Freeman is averaging this season. Giving Marshall some more carries will help keep Freeman fresher and get more touches for one of the Ducks top playmakers this season.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

Marshall was running behind a healthy Johnstone and Fisher all last year. You can't leave that out of the comparison.