This sorta has to do with the Ducks, so it isnt in OtherGuys

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Re: This sorta has to do with the Ducks, so it isnt in Other

Post by Tray Dub »

I'm not much of a fan of Joey as a commentator. He's a little cheesy and doesn't really contribute much of interest. Also, someone said something about him having a big vocabulary... definitely not something I've ever noticed. Is that something others of you have noticed?
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Al Michaels on MNF
duck55
Senior

Post by duck55 »

Lou "Notre Dame's gonna win it all" Holtz - pretty hard to listen to.
Magic Johnson as well.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

For sports in general, I'm going with Charles Barkley. Also the whole gang of Kenny the Jet, Shaq, and Ernie Johnson, but especially Chuck. He's the best thing to ever happen to announcing. One of the best parts of watching a basketball game is listening to those guys talk. And they're not just funny, they're insightful too.

I also like Bill Simmons. He can be a little annoying on TV sometimes, but I've been a fan of his writing for years, and I'm just loyal to him. He and Jalen do a good show on Grantland. I think he's better there than he is on primetime, but I do like it all.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Every now and then I get to see Kevin Calabro and Marques Johnson reunite and call a P12 BB game. They're not the same duo they were in Seattle calling the SuperSonics so many years ago but those are 2 guys who know how to call a game together.

He calls almost every single action in that scene and in a clear manner while also dropping things like "leather in his palms" and adding a fun element to the broadcast. TV announcers today are so f'in lazy that about all they'd get out of that is "he missed the shoot, ball bounces around...Payton hits a 3!" I suppose part of that was precisely because he did the radio play-by-play and it was so good they also used his broadcasts for the TV feed as well.

Also, I want to give a big shout-out to a guy I worked with at the U of O who now is a sports-broadcaster for NBC and MLS - That would be John Strong.

Pretty crazy to think how many sports broadcasters graduated from UO, I can think of Fouts, Harrington and Strong to go with Neil Everett and I suppose you could throw Bellotti in there as well. I guess with all of the guys working at CSN like Kent, York, Wilcox and Newman too.