Full 1989 Independence Bowl

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Full 1989 Independence Bowl

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Just thought this would be fun to share on here. Where it all started. I was a baby when this happened, so I didn't get to witness it live. Didn't become a fan til 1997 when I was 8, my first game was the season opener against Arizona when Saladin McCullough returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown and I instantly fell in love with Oregon football after that. Given that I've been spoiled, occasionally I try to find ways to witness where it really started for Oregon, and be thankful that I live in an era where Oregon football is way beyond that. Luckily, I quickly found this video on YouTube and thought I'd share it with all of you.

First Half:

Second Half:
cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Re: Full 1989 Independence Bowl

Post by cmmadness »

The Independence Bowl was still hesitating on inviting Oregon to Shreveport because
of the distance. As preposterous as this seems now, at least one of our two
United States Senators were lobbying for us from Capitol Hill.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

I watched that video a couple weeks ago and it was almost as exciting as the actual game all that time ago. The hosts loved our team and our fans and wanted us back. I remember thinking how could the weather in Louisiana be so horrible. We won. Ah, the wonder of it. :)
ducksvb6
Three Star Recruit

Post by ducksvb6 »

We were there and it was a great experience. The LA Alumni Club organized the trip. We flew to Dallas Ft. With and then went by a very nice charter bus. After about twenty minutes on the road the driver pull off at a convenience store, He then brought several ice chest from the cargo area. Everyone loaded up on junk food and drinks. That made the drive enjoyable. At least the part I remember.

It was COLD. The stand were like high school bleachers and the wind swirled around. The news that night place the wind chill at 17 degrees.

The thing I will remember the most is going on to the field and just hanging out. I think it was Derek Loville that was the last Duck. He was all alone in the end zone and did a back flip then left. My wife and I were the last two on the field. We assumed we would never see another bowl game (LOL) and we didm't want to lose the moment.